INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I can RIP my DVDs in MC but they will not play in MC  (Read 1698 times)

dbuche

• Recent member
I can RIP my DVDs in MC but they will not play in MC
« on: June 22, 2015, 06:09:15 pm »

When I installed MC 20.0.115, I already had a media library that I used with WMC. The library is on an internal drive on the same PC as MC. Most of the files in the library were ripped before I owned MC. All are the same file type; VIDEO_TS. MC plays most of those files fine, but some never start. I learned this only after ripping other DVDs to the library. The MC rip process works perfectly and was the main reason I purchased the software. I can find the ripped movies in the library, but when I select WATCH all I see is a blank screen. The movie does not start. Hovering the mouse towards the top of the screen reveals the status bar with pause, stop, and skip buttons, but the status bar never moves from the 01: counter. Selecting the stop function returns the screen to the cover art.

All the DVD files, ripped before MC and by MC play well with WMC.

I ripped a few Blu Rays too, and the scenario was identical except that one generated the error FAILED TO CONNECT AUDIO DECODER WITH SOURCE/SPLITTER when I tried to watch it.

I searched this site and wiki for both of these problems and only found some hits on the decoder issue that did not seem to apply to my problem.

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: I can RIP my DVDs in MC but they will not play in MC
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 07:56:20 pm »

I can find the ripped movies in the library, but when I select WATCH all I see is a blank screen.

MC can certainly rip a disc but it cannot decrypt the content. You will need some sort of decrypt software in play like AnyDVD etc.

VP

dbuche

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 01:18:27 pm »

Yes, I installed AnyDVDHD per the instructions when I installed MC. I should have made that plain, sorry.

sillibil

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 02:00:04 pm »

Use the Decrypt-Software to rip as an ISO-file, mount the ISO and then rip the ISO-file with MC. that will work.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 08:21:11 pm »

MC plays most of those files fine, but some never start.

Some dvd rips just don't start correctly.
My guess is because the dvd was authored poorly. Possibly by mistake or possibly intentionally.
I have issues once in a while with foreign films and more often than not with disney.
Whether it's from their 45 minutes of adds, or their language menu, I don't know.

Other players may have more luck starting them if they go straight to the menu instead of playing previews like MC.
If your dvd rip doesn't start right away, right click and choose "dvd menu".
If that doesn't work, right click and choose "jump to -->title" and select the main title.
If that doesn't work, you could try makemkv to get the main title.

dbuche

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 03:13:07 pm »

Thanks to all who responded with tips. The most puzzling aspect of my problem is that the ripped DVDs will play if I use Windows Media Center, but not if I use JRiver MC. All the ripped files play with WMC, but only some of them play with MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up