INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Media Center to a new PC  (Read 1191 times)

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Moving Media Center to a new PC
« on: September 23, 2003, 06:09:05 am »

I'm going to install a new motherboard and chipset and want to make sure I don't lose any of my MC data and settings. I am still only an "advanced' newbie in the computer world with just enough knowlege and experience to get me in trouble so any help/hints would be apreciated.

Win2k, MC9 and all my other apps are on HD "C".(this is the primary drive), however Win2k has some corruption problems, (computer crashes when I go to Full screen when streaming Win Media).

All media is stored on HD "D". no apps on this drive.

I want to add a 20g HD that I have and install win2k and my other apps on it, and make it the primary HD

After "cleaning"  the "C" drive of all traces of Win2k, I want to put MC9 back on this drive along with a couple of other media apps.

Here's a few questions:

1. Do I copy MC, (after backing up the library), to my Media"D"drive, then after  "wiping" the "C" drive clean, can I move MC back to the "C" HD? Or do I reinstall MC and copy the files back into it?

2. Can the 20g drive be named "B", or will I have to rename "C" HD so the 20g will       be primary?

3. Do I use "find /Replace" after MC is returned to "C" HD or only if "C" is renamed?

4. Is it best to wait to install 9.1 untill I have 9.0 back up running and stable, or should go right to 9.1? Will my library, cover art(stored in album folders), replay gain, have to be re-imported and re-analyzed?

Thanks in advance and sorry about the length of this post, Jay.

Thanks to whomever renamed my post, but I wasn't moving the music, I'm moving MC. (JimH?)
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

LisaRCT

Re: No Answers To My Last Post. Please Help
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 07:15:47 am »

1- you must do a reinstall of all software if the drive is wiped and windows reinstalled, otherwise none of your software will be registered (windows need to place all necessary software info in the registry upon installation for the software to run, simply copying it onto the drive will not allow it to run).

2- the primary drive (boot disk) will be always be C by default, A & B are reserved for floppy drives

3- use 'find & replace' only if you need to use a different drive or directory (folder)

4- this one I will defer to someone from JRiver.

I would make sure to do a 'Backup library' in MC9
(Files ---> Library --> Backup)
so that you can Restore it once your installations are complete.
With a sucessful restore your cover art, replay gain, etc should remain intact.

JeffB

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 08:05:52 am »

Copy the entire MC directory to D drive for safe keeping then, after you install Windows, install MC like you normally would to create the proper entries in the registry like Lisa stated, then copy your back-up MC directory from D drive over the newly installed MC.  Be sure to replace the already existing files.

This has worked for me in the past under similar circumstances.

As long as all your media stays in the same place, you shouldn't have to update your library.

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2003, 08:07:13 am »

Thanks Lisa, for the answers and confirmations. I know the questions may seem simple to the more advanced users, but I've spent the last year recording, ripping and organizing some 12000 music file, so before going thru these major hardware changes, I wanted to make sure (I know -nothings absolute) I did things right.

Thanks again, and I hope Rachel's continuing to do well.
Jay.

Thanks JeffB too!
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up