INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drop outs  (Read 2793 times)

Magdanus

• Recent member
Drop outs
« on: September 15, 2015, 11:07:55 am »

I have started using JRiver (MC21) on Windows PC as a controller of the playback from my Synology NAS (Minim server) to my two players/streamers 1) Linn Klimax DS and 2) Pioneer N-50. I used to use an IPad with Linns control app Kinsky but JRiver has much more features for searching and presentation of the albums so I even if the IPad is a nicer device the features of River has priority.

But now I suddenly experience dropouts. Using IPad/Kinsky the files flows directly from the Nas to the players. If I shut down the IPad the music still play. However, using JRiver/PC the files apparently flows from the Nas to the PC and then to the players. If I close JRiver on the PC, the music stop.

I wonder if the dropouts have something to do with the flow through the PC and if so – what can be done to avoid that. I have set JRiver to “No encoding” so I hope there is no loss the files going via the PC. I have never experienced dropouts before.

Thanks for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Drop outs
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 11:19:36 am »

If you're using DLNA to play from a DLNA Server to a DLNA Renderer, the files aren't played via the PC.  They go directly from Server to Renderer.

High-Res files are bigger and the network might be limiting playback.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 12:06:11 pm »

Hi I set-up a Linn DS (not a Klimax) for a friend of mine end of last year.  

I tried the DS as a DLNA and as a straightforward DAC (using the "DLNA possibilities" fo the DS for streaming and internet radio only). Both my friend and I preferred the sound using JRiver as a renderer -- don't get me wrong the Linn DS has an excellent DAC, but as a renderer especially if not used for multiple playback areas,  its just doing double duty with JRiver. As your set-up has two separate DLNA renderers, I'd recommend simplifying. It should be quite simple to set up (even set-up a different zone and switch to see if you agree with us).

Also, there is the JRemote app for your ipad ... I think it is much better than Kinsky and it can be very customizable to use your custom views from JRiver direct.

Even if you want to continue to use the DS as a renderer (player) rather than just a DAC, you could still use JRemote as a control point, making the limitations of Kinsky and your drop outs sort of moot.

Magdanus

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 01:49:08 am »

Thanks for your inputs, very helpfull.

Pages: [1]   Go Up