INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic clearing of "Playing now" list  (Read 3497 times)

Lodewijk_Ramon

• Recent member
Automatic clearing of "Playing now" list
« on: June 25, 2015, 06:38:34 am »

Is there a setting to clear the Playing now list after playing the entire list automatically? I would like that because now, every time I activate the DAC JRiver MC starts playing the last track of the already played list.
BTW I control JRiver thru the iPad JRemote app (developer: Banjo Media)

tortuga_Bob

• Recent member
Re: Automatic clearing of "Playing now" list
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 01:06:37 pm »

Is there a setting to clear the Playing now list after playing the entire list automatically? I would like that because now, every time I activate the DAC JRiver MC starts playing the last track of the already played list.
BTW I control JRiver thru the iPad JRemote app (developer: Banjo Media)

I think that there is a setting under Options>Startup that you can tell MC not to start playing at startup. Sorry, I don't have MC in front of me right now.

Lodewijk_Ramon

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 07:33:02 am »

I think that there is a setting under Options>Startup that you can tell MC not to start playing at startup. Sorry, I don't have MC in front of me right now.
Thank you for your reply. I found the option you mention, but since my Mac mini and JRiver are on continuously 24*7 the option at startup doen't help me.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 08:08:15 am »

I don't have JRemote, only JRiver MC.  That said, I researched a little and found that JRemote has a "clear playlist" function.  You just long press on a song in the list and you can clear the list from there.  Seems like that would work.

If you directly control MC as well, you can map a hot key to clear playing now pretty easily.  But I'm guessing you only use JRemote, as that's probably much more practical and convenient.

Good luck,

Brian.

Lodewijk_Ramon

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 10:43:22 am »

Thanks Brian,
Indeed i use JRemote all the time, because my setup is a Mac mini without screen, mouse or keyboard, which I control from another Mac, but only for technical and maintenance tasks. The Mac mini is there for only one purpose: Music Server (built/configured it mainly based on ideas of Paul McGown of PS Audio).
I will definitely try to use your suggestion for when I am working from the other Mac.
So I suppose that actually I am asking for a feature to be added to JRemote.

Thanks again for your input.
Lodewijk

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 11:37:12 am »

As I understand it, the feature to Clear Playing Now *is* in JRemote.  Again, I don't have it, so I can't test.  But my understanding is that you just press and hold on any song in the Now Playing list and it will give you an option to clear the list.  Give it a try.

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 07:02:57 pm »

In Media Center's parlance:

* Play means to clear the existing Playing Now and play the selected track or tracks.
* Add means to add the selected track or tracks to the existing Playing Now list.

In Media Center itself, you can change the double-click behavior to do one of a variety of different "play styles" under Tools > Options > General > Behavior.  You can set different settings for audio and video, and tell it whether to start playing immediately when files are added to Playing Now (or wait for you to click Play).

In JRemote, you can change the default tap behavior under the icon with the hamburger and play arrow icon:

The default is Play all now (which replaces the current playing now with the items in the current View, and plays the track tapped immediately).  You can choose from a variety of others.

You can also, at any time, tap-and-hold on a track, and it'll show a pop-over menu, where you can choose from a variety of different play modes, for either the specific item you tapped, or all tracks visible in the View:

There is also an option in this menu to Clear Playing Now (called "Now Playing" in JRemote for some reason, but that's the same thing).

One thing I'm not clear on is this:

every time I activate the DAC JRiver MC starts playing the last track of the already played list.

Just opening up a Zone in JRemote should not cause Playback to start. Please explain exactly what you do that causes it to start playing an old Playing Now list.  It is possible, I think, if your DAC is a DLNA connected device, that it might decide to start playing immediately. But any "normal" direct-connected audio device wouldn't do this, and MC will have very limited control over what the DAC decides to do.

But, I'm not clear on what is happening to you, so please explain (assuming my description above doesn't solve it for you).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Lodewijk_Ramon

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 03:18:11 am »

Hello Glynor,
Thanks for your elaborate answer. The different playing options were clear to me, that is not where my problem (not a life threatening problem) lies.
But I think I will have to do some more investigation myself (this will take some time) before I can come back to this topic with or without a solution.
FYI: My setup is:
Hardware Apple Mac Mini (late 2014) running continuously;
Software: JRiver MusicCenter (Mac version 20.0.116) running continuously;
Asynchronous USB interface to an Arcam irDAC
From there a analogue output to the Arcam AVR

Every time the DAC (re)activates the asynchronous USB-port JRiverMC starts to play something; most of the time it is the last track played before in the "Now Playing" list, but when I clear "Now Playing" manually before e.g. playing a CD or DVD (which will cause the DAC to signal that there is no signal fed to the DAC) and then at a later moment choose the USB-entry on the DAC again JRiver will play some track of some playlist or album (it seems random).

Before bothering anyone with more questions I will try to find answers from the Arcam manufacturer (I suspect the DAC sends a signal to the Mac Mini that it is expecting a signal).
Lodewijk

Lodewijk_Ramon

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 09:15:13 am »

I will start with saying that I feel really very stupid. And some people probably want to know why.

I described my setup and the problem that every time the DAC would be switched to the USB-input to receive audio from the Mac Mini, it started playing something.
What I did forget to enter into the equation is that I use a Logitech remote control to control all the components of my audio and video setup. I configured in the Logitech that my source was the Mac Mini.
I never expected that starting the activity Music from the server would send a series of commands to the Mac Mini, which would end up to be interpreted as instructions for JRiver MC to play some audio track.

After reconfiguring the same activity without mentioning the music server, the problem is solved completely.
Thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread.
Lodewijk

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 08:43:41 am »

It's nice when things work out with a simple unexpected answer.

Glad you got a resolution, even if it hurt your pride a little!  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up