INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library - file re-organization?  (Read 1164 times)

markp99

• World Citizen
Library - file re-organization?
« on: September 22, 2003, 04:12:39 pm »

I am a bit of a neat freak when it comes to my tags and file/directory structures for my music library.  I realize MC9 does not much care where files are located, but I do. :)

Through the process of organization (moving from"unsorted" directory to actual "artist/album" directory), it appears that I have created orphans within the library (source file location is now unknown to MC9)...and I get that funky icon next to the filename.

Is there an efficient way for me to refresh my library to refelect the new directory structure??  ...without unloading and reloading the library, which I painfully learned does NOT retain my carefully assigned ratings :( :(

Thanks for the help!

NanjingGuy

Re: Library - file re-organization?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2003, 07:23:02 pm »

Sure. File->Library->Update will give you the ability to clean 'missing' files out of the library.

Also, I have no idea why your ratings are not kept. Mine always have been. In fact, I built a new machine drives and all a few weeks back. Restored my music, searched for music from MC and all was there.

I am a bit of a neat freak when it comes to my tags and file/directory structures for my music library.  I realize MC9 does not much care where files are located, but I do. :)

Through the process of organization (moving from"unsorted" directory to actual "artist/album" directory), it appears that I have created orphans within the library (source file location is now unknown to MC9)...and I get that funky icon next to the filename.

Is there an efficient way for me to refresh my library to refelect the new directory structure??  ...without unloading and reloading the library, which I painfully learned does NOT retain my carefully assigned ratings :( :(

Thanks for the help!

Marko

Re: Library - file re-organization?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 10:51:08 pm »

That 'update library' tool will remove the broken links, not fix them. You see, you moved the files while MC wasn't looking, so, you're gonna need to clean your library, then re-import.

If you can get used to it, you can do all that re-ordering, moving files around stuff from inside mc. When you do it that way, MC keeps tabs on everything and updates the library accordingly. Check the very cool library tools. I think you'll find "rename files from properties" useful for a kickoff.
When I have a load of stuff built up in my incoming drive, MC makes the housekeeping so darn quick and easy I sometimes can't help but have a little smile, patting myself on the back for persevering with the learning curve and thanking jriver for their insight into what the end-user actually needs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up