INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fixing my TV shows library  (Read 3107 times)

Ricren

• Recent member
Fixing my TV shows library
« on: June 24, 2015, 09:19:21 pm »

Hi,
I'm new to MC and I'm finding it very nice. I succeed in cataloging my movie lib, but the tv shows give me some problems.
The main problem  I'm facing is this: (example):
I have an Star Trek folder with subfolders for each season and another sub folder with extras (interviews,documentary pieces, etc.) Media Center have no problems putting all "Star Trek" episodes under the same label or folder, if the files have the season and episode number, but I find no way to make MC to put the "Extras" files in the  same Star trek folder, instead of it, MC creates one additional label for each extra file, outside the "Star Trek" label/folder. That creates a mess on the labels view, and is very distracting.
The same happen with every show that have extra files with no season or episode number, for each file MC creates a new label outside the main folder. You realize that the interviews have no season or episode number, right? So there should be a way to accommodate this, but I can not find it.
Is there any solution to this problem?
Thanks.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Fixing my TV shows library
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 01:46:07 am »

Special episodes and extras are put in a separate season folder called 'Season 0' or 'Specials' inside the series folder. You then use the same naming convention as the main episodes but use S00Exx. The TV info for each episode is imported from the information held at www.thtvdb.com.

So, for instance from my library taking 'The Big Bang Theory' as an example. I have the folder structure set up as follows:

The Big Bang Theory
---Season 1
------The Big Ban Theory.S01E01.mkv
------The Big Ban Theory.S01E02.mkv
------The Big Ban Theory.S01E03.mkv
------The Big Ban Theory.S01E04.mkv
------The Big Ban Theory.S01E05.mkv
---Season 2
------The Big Ban Theory.S02E01.mkv
------The Big Ban Theory.S02E02.mkv
------The Big Ban Theory.S02E03.mkv
------The Big Ban Theory.S02E04.mkv
------The Big Ban Theory.S02E05.mkv
---Specials
------The Big Ban Theory.S00E01.mkv
------The Big Ban Theory.S00E02.mkv
------The Big Ban Theory.S00E03.mkv
------The Big Ban Theory.S00E04.mkv

etc, etc

The special episodes will then appear in 'Season 0' for the relevant show in MC.

If you then look at http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=80379&lid=7 and select the specials season you will be able to see what episode number each entry has to be.
If there is an entry in TVDB for your episodes then the entry in MC will reflect that and if there is no entry for a given episode then it will just be labelled as 'Episode xx' in MC

Any episodes that don't have an entry in TVDB you can manually edit the 'Name' tag in MC.

I hope this helps but just ask if you want any more clarification.

Ricren

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 03:52:34 pm »

thanks a lot for the information. I'll put that instructions to good use.

I have another special case: In my TV library there're many complete shows, several season each. MC put all seasons under the same label and that it's great! But I also have many shows that have just one or two episodes, because that shows do not deserve the space to keep them all,so I just keep one or two episodes per show that I particularly liked.
In this case, MC will give every show a label, so I end up with too much labels(shows), so I'd like to consolidate those single episodes under a folder named (for example) "Miscellaneous", because I do access that shows not frequently.

is there any procedure to instruct MC to put all that single episodes under one label(folder)?

thanks again,
R.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 04:59:33 pm »

If you put in the text "miscellaneous" or similar in the field "Series", all your odd ball stuff will be grouped together in a single folder (just as if it was a Series).

Ricren

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 11:15:07 am »

Thanks for the tip, but (I'm new to this,sorry) can not find the field: Series. Could you guide me on this? Thanks again.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 12:59:14 pm »

When viewing your TV Shows the field headings are shown bottom right (see screenshot below).

However you can select which fields are displayed. If you right click on the field headings bar a dropdown will appear listing all the available fields with a tick next to the ones currently displayed. Just scroll down the list and make sure that 'Series' is ticked and then it will appear as a column.

The columns themselves can be re ordered by just click and hold the column and drag it left or right to the desired new position.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 01:59:15 pm »

Thanks for the tip, but (I'm new to this,sorry) can not find the field: Series. Could you guide me on this? Thanks again.

In Standard View > Video > Files, you can right click on the column header and then select "Series" from the list that will appear. If the field has check mark in it, it will show.

You can then click and drag the columns around if you'd like. In the screen shot Russell posted, you can see the columns with "Name", "Series" ,Season", and "Episode" (which are import to see during your maintenance process).

Note that Russells' screen shot is not from Video>Files. He has selected Video>Shows. Either way is fine. Good luck

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 06:04:36 pm »

You may also want to read through the things I posted in this thread last night:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98306.msg680185#msg680185
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Ricren

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 06:03:42 pm »

Gentleman,
your instructions helped me fix my library, thank you very much.
This program is very powerful, with a lot of options, (and so little time to study them all) so it takes some time to realize the potential.

Let me tell you that before asking, I really tried to get the information by myself, but did not find it. The instructions in the wiki are very brief and there's no talk about workaround, etc. Going the Google route, there's a lot of talk but most of the times are articles referencing to old builds/versions. I think some video guides would be of great utility. You know, today, to arrive at having a neat library is a must.
Anyway, this app is great, not to mention the audio DSP capabilities, that are top notch.

Pages: [1]   Go Up