INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to set up a zone using airplay  (Read 2607 times)

kevinm

• Recent member
How to set up a zone using airplay
« on: June 27, 2015, 08:53:59 am »

Can someone point me in the direction of a guide to setting up a zone using airplay, connecting to an Apple TV. I have read what I can find out there but really can't find a decent, simple guide. Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to set up a zone
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 10:54:37 am »

Did you try a search here?

kevinm

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 11:11:42 am »

Yes I did, as I noted. What I found were various threads addressing a variety of issues but no simple walk-through guide. The Wiki is not of much help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 11:18:07 am »

Those are your best resources.

kevinm

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 11:21:13 am »

The specific issue is that I can no longer play to a zone that I had actually managed to set up, albeit done by some trial and error. Previously it was working but today it isn't. Nothing else has changed that I am aware of. I suspect it may be an airplay issue.

bobkatz

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 06:03:33 am »

I have a lot of experience with JRiver on PC and am just beginning to use it on the Mac side. I have found a bug in MC 20 related to zone setup.

1) The option to create a new zone based on an existing zone is essentially broken. Nearly every parameter reverts to the default and I have to go through them all.

2) Next problem is that the zone is not immediately saved after you create it. If you change immediately to another existing zone, the previously nicely-created zone will fall apart when you go back to it. It will contain many of the settings that you had just put into the other zone that you switched to. The only foolproof way I have of knowing that the changes I have made to a zone will stick is to quit MC and then relaunch. Then pray as being the anal type (you can guess) I feel it necessary to inspect all the zone's settings to ensure that the settings did stick. These two bugs together do not give me a good sense of confidence about JRiver on Mac at this time.

I'm using the latest version of MC20 with the latest Yosemite on a Macbook Pro.

kevinm

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 07:06:30 am »

Thanks bobkatz.
Are you using airplay? If so, do you know what the parameters and settings should be?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 10:55:38 am »

I have found a bug in MC 20 related to zone setup.

I hadn't noticed this.

I did have a Zone I made for my bluetooth speaker last weekend (as a duplicate of my regular Zone), and I had some trouble with it.  But, I'm not sure this is exactly what I was seeing.

I had to re-set Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device on the zone after I used it the first time and I'd turned off the bluetooth speaker. It worked all evening, but then the next day when I went to use it again, I had to re-select the Bluetooth speaker as the Audio Device (even though it "looked right" in the options panel).  When I played to the zone without doing this, it didn't error or anything (and appeared to be playing) but no "music happened".

I assumed this was because when the bluetooth speaker reconnected, the OS assigned it a different index or something, and so MC's Zone didn't point to it correctly anymore. It is possible, I suppose, that the change I made to get it working in the first place didn't "save".  But, I don't think so, because I had to do DSP correction (my speaker will only play 44.1kHz audio, so I had to set MC to resample everything else), and that saved. Hmmmm....

I didn't notice if the duplicating the existing zone worked right, but I didn't encounter any problems. I think it did, but I'm not sure.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up