INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple Music DRM support  (Read 7694 times)

stubbo

• Recent member
Apple Music DRM support
« on: July 03, 2015, 06:33:05 am »

Is there any way of using JRiver to play apple music downloaded files with DRM. Obviously this would still need an apple subscription, but it would mean I could download what I wanted and put it in my media library to control rather than the piece of c**p that is iTunes.

I have read how both their music match and the music service files are both being encrypted with DRM now so it would be really great if I could pull that music into JRiver, enter my apple credentials and then playback the downloaded files.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Apple Music DRM support
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 07:18:44 am »

Uh oh, it looks like the introduction of Apple Music has brought the return of DRM to iTunes and the removal of iTunes Home Sharing.
Previously if you deleted purchased items and re-downloaded them from the cloud, you would often receive a DRM-free copy of those tracks.
It seems like that may no longer be the case.

Unfortunately, this is the point of DRM - to lock you into their platform - and it's why you should never support any service which uses it.
Unless you're able to re-download DRM-free copies of your albums (I'd try sooner rather than later - especially if you haven't signed up for an Apple Music trial yet) there's not much that can be done.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 07:38:59 am »

Is there any way of using JRiver to play apple music downloaded files with DRM. Obviously this would still need an apple subscription, but it would mean I could download what I wanted and put it in my media library to control rather than the piece of c**p that is iTunes.

I have read how both their music match and the music service files are both being encrypted with DRM now so it would be really great if I could pull that music into JRiver, enter my apple credentials and then playback the downloaded files.
You could try telling MC to use Quicktime to play the files.  It used to work with the old DRM from Apple.

In general, if you use most Apple products, you'll be limited to Apple only products.  That's how they work.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 09:05:26 am »

Uh oh, it looks like the introduction of Apple Music has brought the return of DRM to iTunes and the removal of iTunes Home Sharing.
Previously if you deleted purchased items and re-downloaded them from the cloud, you would often receive a DRM-free copy of those tracks.
It seems like that may no longer be the case.

That's not quite true.

If you continue to pay for iTunes Match separately (the $25 per year) then you still get your tracks back DRM free. It is only if you re-download them through Apple Music itself (the streaming service).

More:
http://www.imore.com/okay-heres-deal-apple-music-drm-and-icloud-music-library
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

stubbo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 04:31:12 pm »

There seems to be a lot of conflicting reports around this whole area at the moment and it's got a lot of people up in arms. I don't currently use the service, music or match, I would only do so if I could store and replay through jriver, hence the original question.

Apple need to learn how to play nice, if they want any more of my money that is.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 02:25:36 pm »

It also doesn't apply to tracks you've purchased from the iTunes Music Store. I just tested it to confirm. You can re-download these, and they still come through as normal, non-DRMed M4A files.

It only applies to tracks you've previously uploaded to iTunes Match, which were matched (and so therefore come from the Apple Music streaming library). It does not apply to "unmatched tracks" (where it uploaded your copy), and it doesn't apply even with iTunes Match if you continue to pay for the $25/year match service separately.

I can't use that, and never have, because my Library is larger than 25k tracks, and then it just tells you "no".
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 02:36:37 pm »

I can't use that, and never have, because my Library is larger than 25k tracks, and then it just tells you "no".
Laconic.

shAf

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 08:19:32 am »

I believe much of what is Apple Music still needs to settle, especially with respect to us MC users...I'll be watching. It would be nice to have MC tune in to Apple's stream without relying on iTunes!  However, at least Apple is considering raising the Apple Match limit to 100k tracks in iOS9.
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Pages: [1]   Go Up