INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD playback in Mac ver compared to Win version....questions  (Read 1889 times)

djd828

• Recent member

Hello--

I use both a Mac and PC connected via USB to a Fostex HP8AC DAC and when I configure it for Windows and play DSD files, on the display of the Fostex it shows DSD 2.8 but when I use my Mac and try to configure it the same, the Fostex shows DSD over DoP.  Am I wrong to assume that using my PC, the Fostex is playing the DSD files natively but when I am using the Mac, it is sending the data encapsulated in PCM?  Is there a difference?  Is there a way to configure Media Center on a Mac to bitstream the DSD files natively.  Am I completely off base and worried about something that doesn't really matter?  I am certainly no expert in these things so any help would be appreciated.

Dave

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSD playback in Mac ver compared to Win version....questions
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 12:39:44 pm »

As I understand it, these options are exactly the same on Windows and Mac versions of MC.  The two places you probably want to check are:

1.  Tools > Options > Audio > Settings > Bitstreaming .  This will allow you to send pure DSD to your DAC when you set this setting to DSD.
2.  Player > DSP Studio > Output Format > Output Encoding .  This has a setting to output DSD in DoP format.  I would think you'd want to turn this off and turn *on* the previous bitstreaming setting.

I would check your Windows PC first and see how these two settings are configured.  Then check the settings on the Mac and see if they match.  If they don't (and I'm guessing they won't), set them to be the same as the Windows machine.

I hope that gets you started in the right direction.

Brian.

djd828

• Recent member
Re: DSD playback in Mac ver compared to Win version....questions
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 09:59:05 am »

Thanks Brian, I will go through my settings again..

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up