INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View volume display  (Read 2059 times)

Boltron

• Junior Woodchuck
Theater View volume display
« on: July 06, 2015, 06:35:58 am »

I have looked but just can't seem to find how to enable the volume control display in Theater View. I can only see the slider only when a movie is playing. Can someone please help?
For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Theater View volume display
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 06:39:50 am »

You can move your mouse to the top of the screen.
or
You can use the On Screen Display (arrow keys).
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/OSD

Boltron

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 06:58:35 am »

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have a mouse in Theater View, just a remote. The arrows only affect navigation and don't bring up OSD like they do while I am actually watching a show.

My question is related to just navigating the menus in Theater View before I push play. I have just recently switched to Internal volume where in the past I used my receiver (volume always visible)  to control volume and not MC. I have already been caught with the volume set real high when I pressed play on a movie that resumed in an action scene and it nearly blasted me out of my chair and not as amusing, can damage my speakers.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 07:02:29 am »

Not a direct solution but you might want to try enabling volume protection.  It automatically resets the volume to 20% after a period of inactivity, and also makes it harder to accidentally turn the volume way up.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 07:22:57 am »

I agree, you should just use volume protection or the like. I don't understand people that would even allow for the possibility of speaker damage. Just limit the volume the entire system could possibly output to about the highest you would ever use, way below damage limits.
Ideally, you could limit this in hardware, but thats not always possible, so if the audio device is exclusively in use by MC (which is easy for ASIO devices, for example, since most apps just dont support ASIO), then using MCs volume protection is usually as safe as it gets.

Note that the volume display you are referring to is in "Display View". You leave Theater View once you start playing a movie. Its an interaction often lost on many people I'm afraid!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 07:29:47 am »

In that vein, consider setting a maximum volume as well as enabling volume protection.  I've been running that way for a few years now with MC hooked directly up to poweramps and it's been rock solid.  The only "blow-throughs" I've experienced have been 100% user error/inattention on my part.

Boltron

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 07:56:29 am »

Thanks guys.

I do use volume protection, I did not know it has a timeout period of inactivity. This is very good. What is the timeout? I don't see it anywhere.

To confirm "Display View" is active while I am watching and is where I get access to OSD and volume. In "Theater View" then I won't have access to volume. Correct?

As an FYI and to add one comment regarding volume protection. I now use an internal sound card (eClaro) and I had some serious issues which would have blown my speakers if not for a good power amp I use. If during playback of a movie I jump to another show/movie, I get what I presume is a momentary overflow of data which causes an enormous crackly distortion for a moment and causes my amp to shutdown. Volume protection does not help at all. After a lot of experimentation I found this only happens with Internal Volume, I am now running with System volume and it does not happen. I have tried with DirectSound, ASIO and WASAPI, all the same. Anyhow I have ordered another device that is HDMI based and I will not be using the sound card anymore.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 08:12:12 am »

The wiki explains how volume protection works: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume#Volume_Protection

Setting a maximum volume is a separate step from using volume protection.
Pages: [1]   Go Up