INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I deleted the "Images" and "Video" top-level view schemes. Can I restore them?  (Read 2923 times)

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen

A while ago, before the "audio only" display option was introduced, I deleted as much as I could from the view scheme that wasn't audio-related, including the "Images" and "Video" top-level view schemes. I'm now thinking I may want to use these view schemes after all in the not-too-distant future but I can't find any way to restore them or any relevant advice. Can anyone help?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

This should do it:
Menu > View > Add View > Reset All Library View to Default
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

There is also a Reset under Options/Theatre View, below the Add and Remove buttons. I assume that one is for Theatre View only, and the other is for Standard View.

Back up your Library first, because any changes you have made are going to be wiped out, I believe! You will probably have to put any changes back in. I haven't tried, but I would certainly make sure I have a secure backup to copy from, or restore to.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen

Ah yes, well, that's the catch - I should have said, is there a way of restoring those other top levels without destroying my existing view scheme.

I think I already tried "Reset All Library Views to Default" and it didn't work - it just reset my audio view scheme without restoring the missing view schemes. Fortunately I had a backup so I'm now back where I started.

marko

• MC Beta Team

The following advice is not officially supported, but should work for you...

Close the server icon in the tray and exit MC.
Open your library backup folder and find a recent backup that should have your tree config within, and open it with explorer.
Locate the file named Browser.jmd and copy it.
Open your current library folder and paste the copied file in there, replacing the existing file.
Launch MC and smile when you see your restored tree.

-marko

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen

Many thanks indeed, marko. That sounds promising.

Before I do anything I may regret, can I just check one thing with you.

You say:

"Open your library backup folder and find a recent backup that should have your tree config within, and open it with explorer."

Do you mean find a back up that has the ORIGINAL tree config within it? If so, I might have to go back a long way but hopefully there's still one that old.

The only other thing is that, if that's what you DO mean, I'm afraid I'm going to lose my current view scheme which took quite a bit of work. But maybe I've misunderstood.

marko

• MC Beta Team

No, no, just find the most recent one before you deleted the other items. The theory being that that one will have the images and videos items you want back, as well as your audio item with your tweaks.

The backups are all zip files so it should be easy enough to find the file you need, and if you stuff anything up, you've always got the library backup you made yesterday to fall back on, though I doubt you will need that.

Hendrik

• Administrator

Sounds to me like he deleted those views ages ago, and restoring it would remove a lot of his customizations since then.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

marko

• MC Beta Team

Hmmm...

marko

• MC Beta Team

OK, see what you mean, we've had 'audio only' for a while now.

Here's another couple of thoughts, in the order they occurred to me...

I have a default installation in a VPC kicking around here, how about I go to it and save all the views as jvi files and attach them here, jobs a good 'un... so off I went...

The first thing I did in that MC was delete the top level image view. Then restarted MC, and, of course, the view returned. You can't delete them, can you? Or is that just for default installations with no files imported?

So, although I have attached the jvi files to this post, I think that Richard needs to first do the following...

Go to "Tools > Options > General > Features" and make sure that "Image support" and "Video support" are both checked. If not, check them and ta-daa :)

I'm about to leave for a few days, so if it's not that simple, could someone help Richard with the JVI files if he needs it.

-marko.

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen

Yes, just to be clear, I deleted the Images and Video top-level schemes a long time ago and only later started to customise the Audio scheme so I would lose all that work on the Audio scheme if I just went back to the day when I had them all.

I didn't have any difficulty in deleting those top-levels schemes at the time, but this was in MC19 or MC18 or even earlier so things may have changed since then. Also, I didn't have any image or video files loaded into MC so that may have made it easier.

Now, returning to marko's suggestion, I did try going to Tools - Options - General - Features and checking the Images and Video boxes. It was quite exciting for a moment because they were indeed unchecked so I checked them and re-started but... nothing. I did close the media server before re-starting, too.

So maybe it's a case of playing around with these JVI files? I don't even know what a JVI file is but if someone could point me in the right direction, I'll have a go.

Many thanks.     

blgentry

This thread discusses loading saved views:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72514.0

The gist seems to be that you put the JVI files in your Library Folder in a sub folder called "Saved Views".  You have to create this folder first.  I have the Mac version of MC20 and this doesn't work, but I think it does under Windows.  Probably worth a try.

Brian.

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen

Thanks, Brian.

I do have a folder named Saved Views. I get the impression you're supposed to put the view in that folder and then load it by going to View - Load/Save View. But I also get the impression from the other thread that Load/Save View doesn't in fact work.

Anyway it's getting late now so I'll try playing around with it tomorrow unless anyone else can chip in with more info or ideas.

Have you imported any images/video files recently?
I thought you had to do that to restore the top-level views if they were removed.

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen

Have you imported any images/video files recently?
I thought you had to do that to restore the top-level views if they were removed.

Oh no! I can't believe it was that simple!

That fixed it immediately. As soon as I imported some images, the top-level "Image" view scheme just miraculously re-created itself in the tree. I didn't even have to re-start the program. No doubt the same will happen with videos.

My problem was, I was looking at the whole thing the wrong way around. I thought I couldn't import (or at least, couldn't view) any images until I'd restored the view scheme. But the reality is the other way around  - in fact, you can't restore the view scheme until you import some images.

I think what fooled me was that when I first acquired JRiver, "Images" and "Video" remained in the view scheme even though I'd never loaded any images or video. So after I deleted them, I thought I'd never be able to use JRiver for images or video again until I'd restored these categories in the view scheme. 

Wrong!

Thank you very much indeed for your help, everyone - especially 6233638 for spotting my silly mistake - and I'm sorry for wasting anyone's time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up