INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting Albums Alphabetically  (Read 3972 times)

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
Sorting Albums Alphabetically
« on: July 07, 2015, 07:52:30 pm »

I know this sounds crazy, but I just want to sort my albums alphabetically once I select an artist. For some reason, the order of the albums is all over the place, and I've tried every combination of menu selections, but nothing works!

Can someone please guide me through the process? I just want the albums sorted in name order!

Thanks so much,

Lee

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sorting Albums Alphabetically
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 09:26:16 pm »

I'm going to assume that you are viewing your music through the Audio > Artists view.  That shows a list of artists (with album covers) then when you double click on an artist, you get a list of albums (with album covers).  By default, I *think* the list of albums is sorted by album date (with oldest first).  If you just want to see the albums, within each artist, alphabetically, here's the procedure:

1.  Go to Audio > Artists and double click an artist to see their albums.  Make sure to select an artist with more than one album.
2.  In the top of the pane surrounding the list of Albums you'll see a drop down box that says Albums > Artist Name Albums .  Where Artist Name will be the name of the Artist you selected.  Right now mine says Albums > Beastie Boys Albums .  Click the down arrow right next to the wording I just described.
3.  You'll now see a menu and on that menu you'll see "Sort By".  Click on this sub menu (sort by) and you'll see a list of properties you can sort by.  Select "Name".  That will sort alphabetically by name.
4.  Your list of albums will disappear and you'll be taken back to the Artists top level.  Select your Artist again by double clicking.
5.  Hey look at this!  Your Albums are now sorted alphabetically.

Good luck.

Brian.

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 10:17:35 pm »

Thanks, Brian. But the list of albums in the pane below still won't switch to alphabetical order! I'm attaching a screenshot to show you. The albums in the top view are alphabetical, but not in the preview pane below. What am I doing wrong???

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 10:54:07 pm »

Ok wow, that's odd.  It works exactly the same on my system, but I didn't notice because when I go through Artists > Albums, I never look at the detailed list of all albums.  I select one album at a time and look at the songs on that album.  But I see that you use it with the detailed view all the time.

I tried to fix this to sort the same as the thumbnail list and couldn't get it at first.  I *finally* figured it out.  I think it doesn't sort the way it should because the "sort by album date" is a built in default in this view.  So here's what you want to do:

1.  Get back down to that level of showing some albums from an artist in the view we are discussing (your screen shot).
2.  Look at the header at the top of the detail list.  See where it says "All Files"?  Click on the down arrow there.  You can also right click anywhere in the header.  You'll get a menu.
3.  Click on Group By, and you should see that Album is selected.  Roll down that list to the next sub menu item, "More Sort Groups (a-z)".  Click on that and select Album. 

Now the sorting should be the same as the thumbnail view just above it.  Both sorted by alphabetical Album Name.  Phwew.  Why does "Album" work in the More Sort Groups menu, but Album doesn't work above that?  I think Album in the top level menu is a built in and sorts by Album Date, even though it doesn't say so.  There are several of these types of things in the Views in JRiver.  I think.  Just glad I got it to work.  :)

Brian.

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 11:32:23 pm »

You're a genius!

Thank you so SO much. I couldn't believe how that baffled me!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 06:58:45 am »

Thanks, Brian. But the list of albums in the pane below still won't switch to alphabetical order! I'm attaching a screenshot to show you. The albums in the top view are alphabetical, but not in the preview pane below. What am I doing wrong???

I think you want to set the "Sort Inside Groups By" setting in the lower list.

It's in the view header menu that shows when you mouse over.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up