INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about using Oppo 103/105 with MC 20  (Read 3470 times)

Denti

• Citizen of the Universe
Questions about using Oppo 103/105 with MC 20
« on: July 08, 2015, 03:10:38 pm »

I'm thinking about getting an Oppo 103 and had a few questions about using it with MC.

1) I'm assuming I would need to use the Oppo as a DNLA renderer. What does this mean for video quality? Does the Oppo's video processors do the heavy lifting on a file that is just sent by MC?  That is, I couldn't, say, send Red October HQ to the Oppo?

2) What about gapless playback of FLAC?

How would the Oppo be different from an ID (besides all the cool stuff it can do independent of MC)?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
Re: Questions about using Oppo 103/105 with MC 20
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 04:00:46 am »

From the DMRA link in my signature you can download the Database of Renderer Test Reports, and in that you will see a file giving the capabilities of the Oppo player.

e.g. it can apparently play Flac, but it does not support gapless play...
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Denti

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 07:43:00 am »

Thanks, Andrew. I'm not so technically savvy. Can you explain how the Oppo would work as a video renderer? Would it simply display the video generated by the MC server (say, Red October HQ), or would it take the raw video from the server and process this on its own?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 10:38:34 am »

Normally the renderer does the "heavy lifting" and processes the video with its own internals

Denti

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 11:37:35 am »

Normally the renderer does the "heavy lifting" and processes the video with its own internals

So the inevitable question: which PQ is better, Oppo or Red October HQ?

(Also, is there a situation in which one could have the renderer *not* process the video?)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 11:45:12 am »

guess that depends.  running a BD rip over DLNA vs. ROHQ onto a true 1080 TV (not a 4K) i sincerely don't believe anyone can tell the difference but i'm sure some think they notice one

ROHQ to me works best when watching DVD rips or other "lower" quality stuff.  and even then i notice the difference far more on my 12' projector than i do on any TV or monitor (but again, i don't have any 4k stuff so can't comment)

someone else may comment on the rendering, i know there is a difference between pushing and pulling over DLNA, but i don't know the answer solidly what that difference is

Denti

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 01:45:09 pm »

Thanks. It would be nice to be able to "push" ROHQ to the Oppo to compare. I'm wondering whether it's worth getting a separate NUC able to do ROHQ or to just use the Oppo and be done with it. I do watch "lower quality" stuff that would benefit from more than just upscaling (though the Oppo can probably do more than just that).

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 09:26:09 am »

I was using an Oppo 93 from silver disc or hard drive, then I evolved to JRiver ROHQ, first with Intel integrated graphics then with a pretty good AMD 970 graphics card.  I would say the Oppo and ROHQ/Intel were comparable.  ROHQ/AMD is somewhat better.  I can still play silver discs from the BD player in the PC with AnyDVD HD.  So, the Oppo is in the bedroom.

A big issue is that via JRiver you lose access to the menu on the BD, including chapter titles and selection based on that.    Tagging those BDs in JRiver yourself can be done using Particles, but that looks difficult and I have not done it.  So, mine is very clumsy right now.  A friend with a 103 cannot stand that, so he keeps his videos on hard drive via USB using the Oppo GUI which gives him access to the disc menu.  He has a big music library on his NAS, but does not use the NAS for his video library because the Oppo cannot access it.  He has not had success with DLNA.  Music from JRiver as player goes straight from the PC to his prepro via HDMI, not through the Oppo.

Not sure how it might work out for you.  If using the Oppo as your DAC, you could play FLAC, etc. with JRiver as the player(gapless) and feed it to the Oppo via HDMI (stereo or Mch).

Also, you could consider TV via JRiver and out to the Oppo via HDMI.  That could eliminate your cable/sat box and monthly fees.  I use HD Homerun Prime for that.

As I am sure you know, the 105 would be a better DAC than the 103.  And, I like Darbee in my setup, so I would recommend the 105D.

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 07:54:40 am »

Excuse me the off topic question but: how do you play the BDMV folders using Oppo as the principal playback player, please?
Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up