INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eventghost or Girder for MC?  (Read 3561 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe
Eventghost or Girder for MC?
« on: July 08, 2015, 04:17:27 pm »

I want to have some additional control over commands in MC, but what to use? Eventghost? Girder? Something else? I know there is a eventghost-plugin written by gvanbrunt, that looks great, is there similar for girder? For instance to be able to send a RS232 command via girder when a movie begins? Any tips are welcome.

DoubtingThomas

Re: Eventghost or Girder for MC?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 10:06:19 pm »

I can only tell you ... I use an old free version of Girder and it is rock solid.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 09:28:35 am »

I've used both. There are pro's and cons to each. I would say try EventGhost and see if it works for you. If there is something missing you might then try Girder.

There is a serial port (RS232) plugin for EventGhost as well, so you could send a command using my plugin and that one.

flac.rules

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:17:38 am »

I've used both. There are pro's and cons to each. I would say try EventGhost and see if it works for you. If there is something missing you might then try Girder.

There is a serial port (RS232) plugin for EventGhost as well, so you could send a command using my plugin and that one.

Thanks for the feedback. I will be using it mainly for controlling stuff on the computer/sending webcommands, custom stuff in the software, not much for external hardware. (expect the whole rs232-thing).

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 12:18:46 pm »

Another vote for Eventghost.  I am a fan.  I switched many years ago from Girder and was much happier.  I haven't kept up with any Girder changes but at the time I found Eventghost easier to use/setup/understand, perhaps because I am not a developer?
Anyway, EG is a great tool and the support for it seems to be solid, thanks to guys like gvanbrunt and the EG community.
I use it for IR blasting/control from the PC, RS 232 control, scheduling, email alerts, windows automation etc

flac.rules

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 12:35:33 pm »

Another vote for Eventghost.  I am a fan.  I switched many years ago from Girder and was much happier.  I haven't kept up with any Girder changes but at the time I found Eventghost easier to use/setup/understand, perhaps because I am not a developer?
Anyway, EG is a great tool and the support for it seems to be solid, thanks to guys like gvanbrunt and the EG community.
I use it for IR blasting/control from the PC, RS 232 control, scheduling, email alerts, windows automation etc

So you feel evenghost works fine on controlling software as well? The homepage isn't very good, but gives the impression that it is more tuned against external hardware?

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 01:28:12 pm »

I guess it will come down to what software, what you want to do and what your own skill set is.
I'm not a developer by any means I have have done some rudimentary software control.  (looking for instances/windows, controlling windows etc)  I don't know if Girder offers anything different/better on that front unless a plugin already exists for what you want to do in one or the other.  gvanbrunt who wrote the plugin for MC feedback might be better able to give you specifics on EG software capabilities.

Pages: [1]   Go Up