INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eventghost or ? - IR or serial control  (Read 4658 times)

Bizarroterl

• World Citizen
Eventghost or ? - IR or serial control
« on: July 09, 2015, 10:45:32 am »

I've been on the fence about MC for years.  Well yesterday my wife was having problems with our Kodi HTPC.  It hung and she did a forced reboot.  We've now lost the library and the watched status for hundreds of movies and many hundreds more of tv shows.  This is the 3rd or 4th time this has happened and I've had it with Kodi.  I'm moving to MC (Theaterview exclusively).

One of the "must" features we need is the ability to skip forward (5 sec & 30 sec) and backward (5 sec & 15 sec).  I can do this from the command line so all I need to do is figure out a way to run command line commands from a remote.  Remote is a URC MX-5000 & a MRX-1, so I can do either IR or serial control.

What would be the best software to use for MC control?  Eventghost?  What would be best for the communication, IR or RS232?  Should all remote commands go through the software/command line?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Eventghost or ? - IR or serial control
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 10:58:47 am »

If the remote is WMC compatible, MC should work with it.  Right and left arrow will skip forward and back.  You can set the skip time in options.

In the "Developer" link at the bottom, take a look at MCWS.

Bizarroterl

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 11:32:28 am »

The remote is WMC compatible and is even capable of network control.  I've used it to control a Tivo box and an earlier version of XBMC via wifi.  It turned out to be a little to unreliable - maybe the wifi hardware or software in the remote was still beta.

It's been a while since I had MC running.  The skips are single level aren't they (can skip, say 5 sec, but not 5 & 30 in one direction)?

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 11:45:55 am »

I'm a big fan of Eventghost and use it to control a bunch of different things in my home (MC (using MCWS), Whole house audio (3 Integra receivers powering 6 zones), motorized projection screen, projector and more)
If I have a choice I use serial communication as I've found it to be much more reliable than IR.  I use network control, IR and RS232 control with my Eventghost setup.  Even have a plugin for my Vera so I can trigger EG macros off my Home Automation activities.
I've used MC for music since forever but also switched from XBMC in v19 for movies/video.  Very pleased with the flexibility and control and the ease of use of having a single app for both now.

Bizarroterl

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 12:18:31 pm »

Looks like I won't be able to use rs232.  :( The hardware I'm using (Intel NUC D54250WYK) doesn't have a serial port.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 12:27:30 pm »

There are others like this available (depending on where you live)  but I have been using this with Evenghost for my IR Capture and Transmit for years and it has been flawless.  It can receive IR events into EG (ie push a button on your remote) that can be linked to a macro (ie run a MC command line to ff 30secs.)  You can also use it to transmit IR signals from the PC as well...

Edit:  Link: http://www.usbuirt.com/overview.htm

Bizarroterl

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 12:34:14 pm »

The NUC has a built in IR port so I may be good there.  I've been reading the wiki and it looks like the MCC commands are what I should use.

If I use eventghost to do all my commands via the IR port, how do I keep MC from trying to use the IR port too?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 12:42:44 pm »

I wonder if a USB to serial adaptor might work.

Bizarroterl

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 12:49:09 pm »

I thought of that and I think I'll give it a try if I can find one locally.  Concerned with reliability, but it's worth a go.  My goal is to have this up and running this weekend.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 01:02:01 pm »

I thought of that and I think I'll give it a try if I can find one locally.  Concerned with reliability, but it's worth a go.  My goal is to have this up and running this weekend.

I've also used these before and didn't have any reliability issues with mine once i had the correct driver setup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up