INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Audiotron users in here?  (Read 4783 times)

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
Any Audiotron users in here?
« on: June 03, 2002, 05:55:28 pm »

Since Media Jukebox appeals to the more technical digital audio consumer, I am wondering if there is some overlap with Turtle Beach Audiotron users.  

The Audiotron allows me to select & play any of my MP3s through my home theater system, by streaming the tunes from my server upstairs.  It has a built-in web server for music selection, but it would be awesome to be able to select songs from MJ and add them to the Audiotron's play queue.

There is an open HTTP-based API available - has anyone though of creating an MJ plug-in for it?  If not, is there interest?

More info available at http://www.audiotron.net

Lou Busch

• Recent member
RE:Any Audiotron users in here?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2002, 03:24:39 pm »

I've had an audiotron since bios revision 1.0.  It runs the main floor audio.  I use MJ to help make sense of the thousands of MP3s I'm accumulating.  MJ also plays my "computer room" audio.  I love the audiotron.  It does what it indends very well and the (bios) development team has been very responsive. It now does things I never believed possible when I first started using the unit.  I suppose you could develop a plug-in that accepted html from the audiotron's api. We couuld (sort of) use the MJ as the front end "video output" that some AT users are asking for.  The communication would have to be two way, i.e. you could send files and play/stop commands to the AT and MJ would track what is happening on the AT.  Well, maybe that's a whole OTHER program.
Lou

wmleler

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2002, 09:01:31 pm »

There is a Java front end to the AudioTron (called JavaTron) that is an open source project.  That would be a good place to start to look at how to build an interface between the AT and MJ.

Wm Leler

work_permit

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2002, 10:59:55 am »

Javatron is nice, but I doubt it will have MJ's speed and functionality

It would be relatively simple for any of the mp3 playlist managers to control the audiotron (based on the audiotron's new web based app).  Sending play/stop commands, controlling the playlist is really easy.  The only tricky thing is for MJ to constantly keep track of what the audiotron is up to.  But since the freeware prog's already do this, it can't really be that hard.

I can't beleive I'm the only person who wants this sort of functionality.  I want to sit on my couch with my portable computer, search around and select some songs, and have the sound come out through my hifi.  Give MS is making a big push this fall into webpads, given the tremendous success of 802.11b, I suspect there is a really big market in this.  It strikes me that audiotron has done the hard part (a stand alone mp3 player with a built in web browser all for under $300).

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2002, 11:07:43 am »

We'll check into the Audiotron.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

work_permit

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2002, 11:12:01 am »

gateley

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2002, 11:57:23 am »

Hi Audiotron Users,

Any way to get it to work with wireless (802.11b) instead of 10/100 ethernet or HPNA?

j

gateley

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2002, 01:24:53 pm »

answered my own question: linksys makes a "wireless ethernet bridge" that does it (basically a wireless to ethernet converter).

j

work_permit

SeanC

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2002, 02:55:10 pm »

Mine runs over a Linksys WAP11 bridge (802.11a).  Works great!

gateley

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2002, 04:59:37 pm »

Yes, the WET11. I didn't see anything that said it was not available, but I didn't try to buy it either.

j

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2002, 03:07:49 pm »

JRiver - are you still thinking of supporting this?  

The API is really easy - you'd only need to push the filenames selected out via an HTTP call.

Please let me know if I can help somehow.

gitarzan

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2002, 05:52:35 pm »

I would like to see audiotron support.  Also nice would be full remote control of MJ from another MJ on my network.  This way I could have an MP3 server in my closet connected to an SB extigy that uses an optical connection to a Yamaha home theatre receiver.  The remote MJ client would control the MJ in my closet.

JimH

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2002, 07:01:28 am »

gitarzan,
You can do that with our web remote interface plugin.  Also with Glissando and NetRemote using a modified web remote plugin.
Jim Hillegass

gitarzan

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2002, 01:35:18 pm »

Yes, I tried Netremote and read as much as I could find on Glissandro option but it didn't soound quite like what I wanted.  You already have half of the solution with your client server which works nicely.   Would it be that hard to have an option to ship the play commands from the client back to the server to be executed there.   That would be a great feature.  I am a registed customer if that matters.  

thanks,

JimH

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2002, 01:44:47 pm »

A lot of things aren't that hard, but there are a lot of things to do, and this one isn't a high enough priority.  We've solved it once.  NetRemote and Glissando improved it.  We just don't do it the way you imagine.  I'd recommend taking a look at Glissando and NetRemote again.  They are both still changing fast.
Jim Hillegass

gitarzan

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2002, 04:32:51 pm »

I just tried NetRemote and Glissando.  Song selection seems to not work quite right.  A little laggy but not bad.  I think I will keep an eye out for updates to these solutions for now.  thanks,

Moonshine

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2002, 03:34:30 pm »

Add my vote to for an Audiotron plug-in.  Honestly if you guys pulled one off, I know you would get a lot of action off the Audiotron mailing list..

zigguratt

• World Citizen
Re: Any Audiotron users in here?
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2002, 04:10:07 am »

Song selection seems to not work quite right.

In NetRemote or Glissando? As far as I know it's working fine in Glissando but I'd like to hear about it if not. And it's bound to be laggy as we're talking about remote, highly graphical clients and network access.
The latest version of Glissando can be had here.

gitarzan

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2002, 04:46:15 pm »

NetRemote had a song that just would play no matter what.  Glissando had seemingly odd selection problems that I couldn't really describe now since it has been a couple of weeks.  If I get a chance I will try the new program this weekend.   MJ has a nice client server solution.  Seems like the play commands could easily be shipped back to the server for remote control there.

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2003, 03:16:22 pm »

I, too, would like to see a MJ plug-in which controls the AudioTron.

The AudioTron is an excellent device for playing MP3 files stored on a hard drive through the stereo system - a good, easy-to-use alternative to a dedicated PC and sound card. Using MJ to control it would be a welcome addition to the web interface Turtle Beach provides.

Is JRiver, or anyone else out there, working on this?

Harry_The_Hipster

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2003, 04:45:00 pm »

Add another vote for Audiotron support. I agree with Moonshine - lots of prospects on the Audiotron forum.

Downside: They seem to be stuck in neutral on supporting ape and other lossless formats - that's been an issue for almost 2 years, according to their listserv archive. Their product development seems to have slowed down, compared to Prismiq and others coming onto this market.

HTH

duesy

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2003, 05:19:09 pm »

Get a cheap used laptop ($250) on eBay, install MJ, and the Xitel audio adapter ($49), which attaches via RCA plugs to a home stereo system, and you have a terrific client box to accept streaming audio from a host server and blast over your home system. Use Wi-Fi or hardwire with CAT5 from client to host. The bonus is a familiar interface via screen and keyboard/mouse to view content. Oh, save your playlists in .m3u format on the host. The AudioTron and other similar boxes are okay but lack sufficient screen footprint and I wonder about their compatibility with the MP3 environment.

Harry_The_Hipster

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2003, 05:44:03 pm »

Second thoughts...Someone just directed me to this thread, which indicates Audiotron is a long way from ever supporting APE:

http://pub90.ezboard.com/fturtlebeachfrm5.showMessage?topicID=79.topic

Their focus seems to be entirely on WMA.
Duesy's suggestion makes more sense if you'd prefer to use MJ/MC and APE, particularly with 802.11a or g. I believe that's JimH's solution too.

HTH

duesy

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2003, 03:38:55 am »

If streaming activitiy is limited to accessing playlists (.m3u) files, then the AudioTron, or others for that matter, should do the trick. Recent article in The Wall Street Journal mentioned RCA Lyra Wireless RD900W. Unit is an AudioTron-like box with built in wireless and runs about $100. Still has limited display area, though.

JorgeGVB

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2003, 12:03:13 pm »

An AudioTron plug-in for MC would be great.  There really isn't anything else out there.  I am sure AudioTron users would buy MC in a heartbeat once the word spread about a working plug-in.  Is it really that difficult that no one is willing to give it a shot?  

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
  • My Karma ran over my Dogma
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2003, 02:27:36 pm »

As a long time Audiotron user and a new MJ user, I would really like to have MJ control the Audiotron. My main reason for this is that the Audiotron can only index and find 24,000 of my songs. My goal is to have MJ be my user interface and indexer and then send the song or playlist selected to the Audiotron to play.

Not sure that is what others are asking for but that is what I want/need.

Harry_The_Hipster

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2003, 03:22:32 am »

There's a 4-day $50-off sale for Audiotrons at http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/audiotron/producthome.asp. Brings prices for new units down to @ what some used units go for on eBay.

HTH

fan_man

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
;DRe: Any Audiotron users in here?
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2003, 05:06:33 am »

Media Center has a much richer interface than anything for the AudoiTron. Also for organizing it is much better.
Playing music via the AudioTron SPDIF on the hifi is great. It looks good and it makes no noise, it even sounds good.
We who like both need a connection. Has anyone tried using hairstyles to remote control an AudioTron via its web interface?
(Or has anyone hacked the AudiTron and got Media Center client to run there under CE?  ;D)
Pages: [1]   Go Up