INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request Tracker  (Read 2575 times)

Headcool

• Junior Woodchuck
Feature Request Tracker
« on: July 16, 2015, 07:15:37 pm »

After reading the Request for 3D thread, I noticed some statements that I think are important:

The powers to be within this organization tend to spend lots of time adding audio features, most of the feature in audio, I do not even use and to be frank, most forum members do not use some of these features. What a waste of time.

I guess it's all in your perception. The way I see it, the last few years have been mostly video and ui upgrades (looking at the log for the new builds). These things aren't a priority for me but I know they are for many so I really don't make a big deal about it.

It seems that I'm not the only one that thinks that there is a problem with the kind feature requests are handled. I have seen many useful feature requests that would be easy to implement, that would greatly improve MC, but were ignored.
I think that feature requests should be made fairer. With the current in use +1 posts, it is not really possible to determine how many users would appreciate the implementation of a certain feature.

I think the best solution would be to have a feature request tracker. Users could post  and comment requests. It would also be possible to give every user a specific number of votes for the purchase/upgrade of a JRiver product like MC or JRemote. This votes could be used by users to favour either their own or the requests made by other users.
Feature requests with a high vote-to-implementation-effort-ratio can than be prioritized by JRiver to be implemented in future versions.

Of course, such a system could also serve as a bug tracker....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Feature Request Tracker
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 07:49:48 pm »

After reading the Request for 3D thread, I noticed some statements that I think are important:

It seems that I'm not the only one that thinks that there is a problem with the kind feature requests are handled. I have seen many useful feature requests that would be easy to implement, that would greatly improve MC, but were ignored.
They weren't ignored.  I read every post.  We do implement a lot of requests, but we don't do every one, even popular ones.

Reasons:
We're thinking about it.
We might do it some day, but now we're busy.
We don't like it.
We have an idea, maybe even a better one.
and so on...
I think that feature requests should be made fairer.
This isn't a democracy.  This is a business.
With the current in use +1 posts, it is not really possible to determine how many users would appreciate the implementation of a certain feature.
We pay close attention to how many people want something, but we don't always follow their wishes.  

Reasons?
Doesn't fit with our business strategy.  Cost/benefit.  Time available.
I think the best solution would be to have a feature request tracker. Of course, such a system could also serve as a bug tracker....
This idea has been discussed several times in the past.  We like what we have now.  It works for us.  It might not be perfect for you, but you still get to express your ideas and we still listen to what you say.

prerich

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Feature Request Tracker
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 02:56:28 pm »

Can't fight that reasoning - articulated very well!!!!  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up