INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: importing a file twice  (Read 1539 times)

jadus

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
importing a file twice
« on: September 18, 2003, 04:21:16 am »

(Excuse my bad english)

Is it possible to import a same unique file from the disk in two different places in the library ?

An exemple : I've got a lot of albums of chick corea and a lot of herbie hancock, and I have one album named "corea & hancock", I'd like to have this one appearing both under corea and hancock in my library but without having to have the files twice on my hard drive...
Is it possible ? How

If it's not possible don't you think it would be a usefull feature ?

It can be usefull too for the "tribute to.." albums : you can have the full album under the main artist and each track under the artist who made it (I don't know if I'm clear...)

THX

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: importing a file twice
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 05:24:48 am »

Welcome to Interact!  Your English is fine.  If you prefer, just try asking a question in your native language.  Many languages are spoken here and you may get an answer.

You could set the artist to "corea & hancock" but the tracks will appear only their.

Playlists might work better for this.  You can have a hancock playlist and a corea playlist and then make a playlist of both.

Smartlists can also be used.  

Others here know a lot more about this than I do.  Maybe someone else has another idea.

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 06:47:45 am »

Could you create a second field for additional artists (in list form) and then have a calculated field that had both the original and additional artists fields combined?

kiwi

jadus

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2003, 07:48:37 am »

@ JimH
I thought about this before but I don't find it very satisfying.

@ kiwi
This is a solution. It would be Great !

I really think the developpers should think about it because a lot of people certainly need this feature.

modelmaker

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 02:17:22 pm »

My solution to this when it has come up is to "copy folder" of the original artist, corea & hancock (in your case) from your "corea" folder on your media drive, to your "Hancock" folder, When you import it from the "Hancock" folder it will still end up under "Chick Corea" as a second entry. Retag the artist field with "hancock and Corea". When the database updates you should find the new entry under "Hancock".

I've done this with several albums when I want multiple listings.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 05:11:59 pm »

@ kiwi
This is a solution. It would be Great !

I really think the developpers should think about it because a lot of people certainly need this feature.

I've heard that they don't want to cause the system to have tags that diviate from standard tags.  

I've played around with this for genres.  Initially, I wanted to change the genre tag to be a list.  This caused a bit of havoc when importing into my iPod, but realized that this would cause issues with the iPod because it would create a different genre for every different genre combination that the music had, so instead I moved to having a "main genre" tag and "subgenre" tag.  I then went through and clean out the regular genre category.  This has improved things dramatically because now my iPod has a much cleaner set of genre tags, and in MC, I have a very powerful way of characterizing my music.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to have a set of mini-tutorials/FAQ.  I'd love to see a sticky thread that had a limited set of tips & tricks for people.  It shouldn't be an open thread, whether things should be in it can be discussed in other threads and then included.  Or it could be on a web site.  (Is there already a source for MC tips or tricks?  This forum is great, but it's easy to effectively loose a cool tip/trick by not remembering the thread that it was in.)

kiwi

jadus

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2003, 04:27:13 am »

modelmaker... sorry I don't understand... :-[
Pages: [1]   Go Up