INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Having to re-scan tuner  (Read 5313 times)

thane108

• World Citizen
Having to re-scan tuner
« on: July 17, 2015, 08:24:08 pm »

A couple of times the past month JRiver has lost the silcondust dual tuner and I've had to re-scan.

Is this a side-effect of updates, or something I can correct?

Thanks!
Perseverance wins out in the end!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Having to re-scan tuner
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 08:26:39 pm »

If a tuner is lost, you can just restart MC, or reboot the computer.  What did you need to rescan?  Channels?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 09:35:40 pm »

Yes - I got the "no tuners avail" message and re-scanned.

Then - when I was correcting some scheduled recordings - I was told there were conflicts.  As if the prior schedulings were conflicting with my attempt to correct the "omissions."

Like the library was corrupted?

Still working on it - so hints are appreciated.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 07:37:07 am »

What version of MC?

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 08:31:55 am »

I scanned again last night and set up my channels again and it seems to be working OK.

Just a little concerned that it has been "flaky" of late and I'll not notice a recurrence of the problem in time and miss a critical recording of "Last Tango in Halifax" and have to answer to the wife!

:)

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 10:22:43 am »

Problems like this do not happen often.  I am not sure why it even happened.

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 11:03:47 am »

Thanks.

I'm still seeing a few issues.  In display view I see all the channels that should be there, but also a couple of program listings with no channel attached.

As for the tuners, I did replace a router/modem a couple of weeks ago.  I went with the standard combo from centurylink.  I'm wondering if that is a suspect, as the silicondust tuner is on the LAN.

Question:  How do you re-index the database for the TV guide?  Is that done in Library?

Maybe I just need to do a re-install?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 06:51:26 pm »

Problems like this do not happen often.  I am not sure why it even happened.

This problem is happening regularly for me with SD HDHR DVB-T tuner. Glad to see it's not just me.

I've reported this separately and it has occurred with a number of recent builds.

Apologies for not providing a more detailed log. I've had my hands full with family stuff.

I've found that for MC to rediscover the tuners, all that's required is to restart MC and the MC server. Agree that this shouldn't happen but the outward appearance is that MC's behaviour changed (I'll see if I can pinpoint when - EDIT: Reported on 4 July 2015, Build 125 and again on 16 July 2015, Build 129).

I can say that I've lost tuners, rebooted and everything comes good. Great. Then come back to MC the next day and the tuners are unavailable again. Behaviour appears to be random. I'll dredge up a log and send it through.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 07:39:03 pm »

Not sure if this is anyone's issue here, but I was seeing somewhat similar behavior where MC would see a networked HD Homerun tuner for a while, and then fail to detect it, and restarts would fix it sometimes and not other times, and it seemed to disappear at random.  The cause, in my case, was disabling the DLNA controller option under media network on my server box.  Once I rechecked that box the tuner was never "lost" again, and with the box unchecked I only "saw" the tuner sometimes, it was very erratic.

I'm not sure why it worked at all with the box unchecked (even sporadically), but I thought I'd offer that as a troubleshooting point because it eluded me for weeks, and was an easy fix.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 08:30:51 pm »

The cause, in my case, was disabling the DLNA controller option under media network on my server box.  Once I rechecked that box the tuner was never "lost" again, and with the box unchecked I only "saw" the tuner sometimes, it was very erratic.

I'm not sure why it worked at all with the box unchecked (even sporadically), but I thought I'd offer that as a troubleshooting point because it eluded me for weeks, and was an easy fix.

This sounds too similar to my experience to not investigate matters further. For clarity, are you referring to unchecking the box in the pic here outlined in red?

I don't recall modifying this, so I assume it's a default setting?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 09:34:11 pm »

Yes that box needs to be checked for correct operation, and yes it is the default setting.  If that box was already checked on your server, you're seeing a different issue than I was.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 04:22:03 pm »

Any advance on this one?   ?

To rule out the possibility of firmware, I did a roll back. When this problem first occurred for me, I was on the 20150615 firmware for the SilionDust HDHR tuner.

I rolled back to the previous firmware version, 20150406, and I'm still seeing the tuners being lost over night.

I thought that maybe this was an effect due to the PC going to sleep, so I've kept the power option so that the PC is on continuously. No improvement. Same reliability problem.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 04:34:50 pm »

It could be cause by a change I made in build 118.  Can you verify that?

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 09:44:12 pm »

I lost my tuner again today - July 29.

I was playing music via JRiver on my reciver while shooting pirates in Elite Dangerous on the PC when recordings were scheduled.

Perhaps there were conflicts that caused the loss of the tuner?  I had to go through setup again, scanning, etc.

Or maybe it was one of those pirates that got away . . .

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 10:30:51 pm »

It could be cause by a change I made in build 118.  Can you verify that?

Yaobing, thanks for that feedback. Didn't know whether this one was on your active to do list.

I'll do an MC build roll back as you suggest and up date you in a day or so.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 01:22:31 pm »

I lost my tuner again today - July 29.

I was playing music via JRiver on my reciver while shooting pirates in Elite Dangerous on the PC when recordings were scheduled.

Perhaps there were conflicts that caused the loss of the tuner?  I had to go through setup again, scanning, etc.

Or maybe it was one of those pirates that got away . . .

I am a bit confused.  Why did you have to re-do setup?  A simple loss of tuner would not require that.  Your channels should still be in your database.  Losing of tuners mostly require restart MC, and maybe occasionally rebooting of computer.

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 04:10:45 pm »

Yaobing - perhaps I used the incorrect terminology or a less than efficient method to get the tuners back.

I have re-scanned the tuners to get back the channels, then I had to associate some/most of the channels again.  That's what I meant by "re-do setup."

Next time I'll just try to restart MC, and then try a reboot.  That would be easier!

Do you think the loss of the tuners could have anything to do with conflicts with Elite Dangerous or another application?  I'm just trying to eliminate suspects.  Let me know if I'm pointed in the wrong direction.

Thanks for looking at this!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 04:47:37 pm »

Yaobing - perhaps I used the incorrect terminology or a less than efficient method to get the tuners back.

I have re-scanned the tuners to get back the channels, then I had to associate some/most of the channels again.  That's what I meant by "re-do setup."

Next time I'll just try to restart MC, and then try a reboot.  That would be easier!

Do you think the loss of the tuners could have anything to do with conflicts with Elite Dangerous or another application?  I'm just trying to eliminate suspects.  Let me know if I'm pointed in the wrong direction.

Thanks for looking at this!

Any application that tries to use your tuner would be a conflict.  If you are not running those applications at the same time you run MC, it should be OK.  Beware of applications that run in the background though.

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 05:14:08 pm »

I'm not running anything that uses a tuner other than JRiver.

I was wondering if memory mangement or cpu usage might impact JRiver.  I have pretty good, new system - i54690k and 16 gig ram.  But Elite Dangerous is resource intensive, so I thought maybe . . .

As I understand your response - it isn't Elite Dangerous as it does not use the tuners.

Right?

Thanks

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 07:19:45 am »

Yaobing, thanks for that feedback. Didn't know whether this one was on your active to do list.

I'll do an MC build roll back as you suggest and up date you in a day or so.

Refer here for results:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99000.msg686263#msg686263

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 11:53:27 am »

From the tests I have done build 115,116 and 117 don't appear to have the lost tuner bug.  By that I mean that in device manager on my server all tuners are present.  It's just MC can't see them in builds later than 117.

Closing MC Media server usually fixes this and the tuners can be used again.

Pages: [1]   Go Up