INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neil Young Removing Songs from Streaming Services  (Read 10674 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Neil Young Removing Songs from Streaming Services
« on: July 19, 2015, 06:44:18 am »

From Neil's Facebook page:

I was there. AM radio kicked streaming's ass. Analog Cassettes and 8 tracks also kicked streaming's ass, and...

Posted by Neil Young on Wednesday, July 15, 2015

BrianKW

• Recent member
Re: Neil Young Removing Songs from Streaming Services
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 09:30:48 am »

?
Can someone explain what he/this means?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 10:14:18 am »

He wants his music off all the streaming sites.

BrianKW

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 06:19:04 pm »

He wants his music off all the streaming sites.

Except Pono I hope.

Cheezmo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 07:56:21 pm »

Except Pono I hope.

Pono is not a streaming service.  It is a digital download store.  Totally different.  His problem is with the quality of streaming.  Since it is similar to iTunes quality in some cases, I do wonder if he plans to take his music off of iTunes/Amazon MP3, etc.

BrianKW

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 08:32:20 am »

Pono is not a streaming service.  It is a digital download store.  Totally different.  His problem is with the quality of streaming.  Since it is similar to iTunes quality in some cases, I do wonder if he plans to take his music off of iTunes/Amazon MP3, etc.

Oops...
I got the two confused since I don't stream and know nothing about it.
Now it makes sense. :-[

Cheers.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 10:45:12 am »

I find those statements quite confusing. Analog Cassettes and AM radio have horrible quality, maybe 10 bits of dynamic range and barely 20kHz sample rate.
Personally I feel that everyone should be able to decide how they want to listen to music. Many people don't have "golden ears", and some streaming services have enough quality to provide no audible loss compared to a CD.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Joe.P

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 11:05:49 am »

Streaming quality is the result of bitrate and encoding. Some are better than others.

A quick survey of streaming services I've tried:
* Tidal has a hi-def mode that's pretty darn good.
* Mog was also not bad, and it was bought by Beats which was in turn bought by Apple; I haven't tried Apple Music yet.
* Slacker is better than many.
* Rhapsody sounded so flat to me when I ran it through my sound system that I cancelled it. 
* I can't remember what Pandora sounded like. Didn't like the mixes it was creating for me.

BrianKW

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 02:04:50 pm »

I find those statements quite confusing. Analog Cassettes and AM radio have horrible quality, maybe 10 bits of dynamic range and barely 20kHz sample rate.
Personally I feel that everyone should be able to decide how they want to listen to music. Many people don't have "golden ears", and some streaming services have enough quality to provide no audible loss compared to a CD.

I'm split on this.
You made a great point about having the right to choose.
But as an Artist I can see why he'd want his Art shown in all it's glory.
Sorta akin to a film director not wanting his film be shown in the wrong aspect ratio.

loafer

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 03:00:02 pm »

As a long time Neil Young fan I'm slightly miffed about this - to be fair, some of Neil's stuff sounds like it was recorded in a fish tank in his bedroom so I'm not really sure where he is coming from.  ?

Cheezmo

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 07:42:20 am »

Since artists aren't making much on streaming, it is an easy place to take a stand on quality.

I would think he would also remove mp3 versions from iTunes, Amazon MP3, etc. as that is similar if not the same as streaming quality.

His quote that AM radio blows away streaming is perplexing.

Not sure this is the forum for this.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 08:00:31 pm »

Young is making a principled stand that aligns with his business goals. In my view, he's living the dream that he's made for himself. Good on him and I respect him for all of that. If he suffers financially and then backs off from his principles, then that will tell us something. My expectation is that he'll stick to his guns.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up