INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Closing Media Server stops playback  (Read 2485 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Closing Media Server stops playback
« on: July 19, 2015, 05:01:47 pm »

As the title suggests, when Media Server is running, if I close the main MC window all playback house-wide is stopped.
I'd like an option to prevent this from happening.

An option to prevent playback from stopping when Media Server is running and the main MC window is closed.
If I'm running Media Server, it's to prevent someone from accidentally killing all media playback house-wide.

Please start a thread or bump one if you've reported this.  Closing MC doesn't close Media Server.  No playback involving Media Server would stop.  Media Server is Media Center in a reduced footprint configuration.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Closing Media Server stops playback
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 06:56:41 am »

Just to be clear, since we discussed this previously, so I remember:  You started playback from the machine where you then later close MC's UI. That's why playback stops, because it would be counter to most people's "simple" expectations (without whole house audio, just a player on a computer) that they'd:

1. Open MC
2. Play something for a while.
3. Close MC and the music keeps going.

That would drive people, including me, batty.  But, in your situation, an option would be good, though, as I can see how this would be irritating when using multiple zones or whole-house audio.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

wibblefish

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 06:34:43 pm »

+1 for this enhancement request.

I would
If I start playback from JRemote and then bring up MC on the server (maybe to fix some tags whilst listening to music), I don't expect playback to stop when I close MC down on the PC as the music playback was not initiated from this instance of MC.

The "problem" is that MC doesn't run in a client/server mode [edit] on the server itself. i.e. there is just the one instance of MC running. If it had this capability, the server instance of MC would handle all audio playback (from all clients) and the "client" instance of MC that I start on the server, would just be a client connection the same as that from JRemote, Gizmo or any other instance of MC.

I guess video would just have to be handled by the client only.

Anyway, probably not a use case that warrants a major design change so I would be happy just to have an option to not stop playback when I close MC (but instead have to click STOP before closing MC down if I so desire).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 11:42:58 pm »

This does seem like it would be easy to implement and could be one for the Too Easy thread.

Tools > Options > General > Behavior > Stop Playback when MC exits (checked by default).
* If checked, it works like it does now.
* If unchecked, and Media Server is enabled, then playback continues even if you close the UI.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up