INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Dedicated Room Correction  (Read 3697 times)

willypower

Feature Request: Dedicated Room Correction
« on: July 21, 2015, 02:05:14 pm »

Well, I guess it won't happen in JRMC21, But I'd love to see such feature in the near future.

It's time to have a decent contender to Amarra Symphony (which contains DIRAC room correction software & measurement microphone and costs 649$)

You guys don't have to use DIRAC or Audyssey , you can develop something easier and less complex (user-friendly) with some popular measurement mics such as MiniDSP UMIK-1.

As Audiophile, I'm very proud to own a nice HiFi system (based on Focal Utopia Be speakers),
and I already have licenses for JRMC18 & 19, But I don't see any reason why should I upgrade since 19.
I think this is THE feature that will make people renew their license, and even pay some more.

(Very sorry for my English, It is not my native language)

What you guys think?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Feature Request: Dedicated Room Correction
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 02:24:49 pm »

willypower

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 02:32:02 pm »

Like Convolution?

Yes, but something for common people, Convolution requires third-party software to measure and generate some file - which is not simple at all, You have to set the parameters and limit the correction - not everyone is familiar with such things. I thought about something more 'automatic' like Audyssey in the AV Receivers, but also with an option to fine-tune the parameters for advanced users (which is not possible on Audyssey without the professional kit).

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 02:53:32 pm »

Everyone can already use DIRAC with JRiver, too. It doesn't need to be "bundled" with the software.

Regarding convolution being too difficult, I use Audiolense. It is almost as simple as DIRAC while offering almost unlimited flexibility. JRiver's convolution engine uses the native Audiolense files so it doesn't get much easier.

It would be nice if JRiver made it easier for EQ recommendations by Room Equalization Wizard or Omnimic be loaded into JRiver's DSP like can be done with the miniDSP.

flac.rules

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 01:59:41 am »

Yes, but something for common people, Convolution requires third-party software to measure and generate some file - which is not simple at all, You have to set the parameters and limit the correction - not everyone is familiar with such things. I thought about something more 'automatic' like Audyssey in the AV Receivers, but also with an option to fine-tune the parameters for advanced users (which is not possible on Audyssey without the professional kit).

This is a lot of work to get right, and I am not sure I would use it anyways, as JRiver is overly secretive about what design-targets they use for they different filters, so it's difficult to judge how useful the different filters are. Seems like a lot of work for a moderate gain.

miklats

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 08:31:13 am »

Cant you use the Dirac filter files direct in JRiver?

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 11:33:00 am »

Cant you use the Dirac filter files direct in JRiver?

No. You link output from JRiver to the Dirac Live Dirac Audio Processor (DAP),which is itself linked to your DAC device.  It works fine.  I have not found an answer, so the only downside for me is that DAP must be the Windows default audio device.  So, I  cannot route external audio into JRiver's WDM driver and then out through DAP.  They cannot both be the default device.  I need JRiver to apply bass management xovers for Mch, since Dirac does not have them. 

In spite of the other suggestions above in this thread, I think asking JRiver to get bogged down in including even a simple, lightweight Room Calibration and Correction into JRiver is a terrifically bad idea.  Even simple-minded Room Correction is very complex and it requires very specialized engineering expertise.  I would hate to see JRiver get tangled up in that, taking resources away from other things.  There are already many very good 3rd party Room Correction approaches that are compatible with JRiver.

miklats

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 04:10:37 pm »

I now bought the Mac Version of Dirac.
Maybe its not meant to be, but JRiver Win and Mac Versions can read these files directly.
No need to use the DAP.
Pages: [1]   Go Up