INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume of rendering device attached to OSX  (Read 2520 times)

narkotic

• Recent member
Volume of rendering device attached to OSX
« on: July 22, 2015, 12:48:25 am »

I've done searching and cannot find an exact topic on this, sorry if there is one!

Here is my scenario:

Windows 7 PC - File Server / i.SCSI to storage / Running J River as the library server
MacBook running J River as the library client
Mac Mini running XBMC (Kodi) as an audio Renderer - > Firewire DAC

Working great.

One thing that is driving me nuts, is that I often change volume on my MacBook and JRiver takes control of it's volume and A. I don't see the OSD for volume changing and B. It changes the volume within JRiver, which changes the volume on the rendering device.

I want JRiver to release volume control from the Mac. Unfortunately when the rendering device is selected for playback, there are no options to disable volume or "detach" it from OSX. Is there a workaround or a hack to get this?

Thanks!

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Volume of rendering device attached to OSX
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 08:02:32 am »

Did you try the options in [Options > Audio > Volume]?  Setting it to "Internal Volume" might be your solution.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

narkotic

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 09:32:29 am »

Yes, I have.

When I go into this section of the software, immediately it has my audio renderer selected and it says "this must be configured on the server", and no other options.

If i select "Player" which would be the built in player on my Macbook, it allows me to make changes to the volume control but they do nothing. When I hit the volume keys on my keyboard, it still adjusts the volume in JRiver and there is no OSX OSD volume display.

I want to detach volume control completely from the JRiver client, somehow. What happens is that I'll be listening to music via the rendering device, and then I'll throw on a video or something on my macbook and inherently I go to adjust the volume and instead JRiver adjusts it's volume to the rendering device.

I hope that makes sense and thank you for the response.

narkotic

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 09:34:44 am »

I think I've figured it out! I went ahead and changed the "player" device to "internal" and had to shut down MC and start it back up, and it's relinquished control of the volume back to me!

Thanks again.

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 09:37:38 am »

I think I've figured it out! I went ahead and changed the "player" device to "internal" and had to shut down MC and start it back up, and it's relinquished control of the volume back to me!
Glad it's working!
Adam Thompson, JRiver

narkotic

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 09:39:25 am »

I had to take it one step further. I noticed that if I accidentally adjusted the slider volume in MC it would take volume control back from OSX. I ended up changing volume to "disabled" and setting it to default of "100".

Just in case anyone runs into this again. Obviously you'd need a hardware volume control, which I do.

narkotic

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 12:34:59 am »

Nevermind.

This still only affects the internal player, not the DLNA rendering device. There needs to be a section under the DLNA controllers to disable volume control.

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 09:30:35 am »

It sounds like this thread is reporting a very similar issue:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98854.0
Adam Thompson, JRiver
Pages: [1]   Go Up