INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung 4K/UHD Movie Pack  (Read 7488 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Samsung 4K/UHD Movie Pack
« on: July 22, 2015, 04:49:39 pm »

Hi guys, I picked up one of thes portable hard drives pre-loaded with various films and documentaries. Ideally I'd like to copy some of the stuff out onto my server, and re-use the drive The videos have a suffix of .UM4 and some have a matching .SMI file, which I think is for sub-titles.

But the files are in some wacky encrypted format, which may even be linked in someway to the hardware. Samsungs own on-TV "server" app does not even recognise them on a shared network drive. Files play fine when the original drive is connected via USB to the TV though.

Anyone tried to do anything with these, or knows a way to convert them into something more normal that MC can handle.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Samsung 4K/UHD Movie Pack
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 07:14:05 pm »

AFAIK, these are simply renamed MP4 files.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/777556/gtx-970-980-owners-are-you-getting-full-colour-at-4k-60hz-via-hdmi-/?offset=35

However, having said that, I believe that anything other than the demo videos will contain encryption, meaning that you can't play them back on anything other than the original device/ storage medium.

Your milage may vary :)

-Leezer-

Ekpen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Samsung 4K/UHD Movie Pack
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 08:27:15 pm »

Hi guys, I picked up one of thes portable hard drives pre-loaded with various films and documentaries. Ideally I'd like to copy some of the stuff out onto my server, and re-use the drive The videos have a suffix of .UM4 and some have a matching .SMI file, which I think is for sub-titles.

But the files are in some wacky encrypted format, which may even be linked in someway to the hardware. Samsungs own on-TV "server" app does not even recognise them on a shared network drive. Files play fine when the original drive is connected via USB to the TV though.

Anyone tried to do anything with these, or knows a way to convert them into something more normal that MC can handle.

If the uhd drive is returnable, do so immediately.
My seller, also a good friend of mine allowed me to keep one for two weeks, I returned it after playing with it for barely one day. I tried to do what you are trying to do, I did not also like the uhd quality. It is not worth your time. If you want to see sample uhd, go to Youtube, do a search on 4k hdr, 4k uhd. What you see on Youtube will be enough to keep you going. Also download  hdr clips on Life of Pie, and Gods and Goddesses.

Take care,
George
Pages: [1]   Go Up