INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I be able to edit Album Artist (auto) ?  (Read 1457 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Should I be able to edit Album Artist (auto) ?
« on: July 22, 2015, 09:16:15 pm »

I remember this field being "not editable" in the Tagging Pane.  I remember clicking it many times and having it not respond.  Album Artist I can edit.  Album Artist (auto) is a calculated field which I thought was NOT editable.  But I just clicked on it and edited it for a song.  It worked backwards and populated the value to Album Artist.

This is not what I remember from before, but it's possible I'm remembering wrong.  Otherwise is this new behavior on purpose?  Or a bug?

I'm running 20.0.126 on Mac.  Can someone check on a similar version on windows?  And/or tell me if my memory is correct?

Thanks,

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Should I be able to edit Album Artist (auto) ?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 10:18:34 pm »

I believe that has long-been expected behavior (I don't use MC's Album Artist system at all, so I can't say for sure). But, I believe that [Album Artist (Auto)] has been a "special" field for quite some time. It behaves like a calculated field in most cases, but it has more smarts internally than that.

In any case, yes, I confirmed this is how it acts.

[Album Artist (Auto)] behaves as is described in the wiki:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29

But it is not actually a calculated field like others you might make. It additionally is writable, and if you write to it, it writes (internally) to [Album Artist], so that it can be used completely as a replacement for using [Album Artist] in any view (or in the Tag AW) directly.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

blgentry

Re: Should I be able to edit Album Artist (auto) ?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 08:21:01 am »

Thanks Glynor.

I swear I remember not being able to edit Album Artist (auto) at all.  I remember it being not clickable.  But maybe I'm just wrong and I didn't ever try to edit it because I knew it was internally maintained.

Either way, I just won't touch it.  I thank you for your testing to answer my question.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up