INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: INFO ERASED  (Read 1281 times)

rhkrhk

• World Citizen
INFO ERASED
« on: July 23, 2015, 12:54:02 am »

My old computer died. I bought a new one, reinstalled MC20, scanned my backed up FLAC files (all 8500 of them) from an external hard drive into a new library- and found out that various fields - the composer and various other details- are no longer present.

I thought flac files contained tag files which save various information!! If the info is associated with the flac file, why can't I get it back?

How do i get these tags back??
windows 7/64 bit, currently running MC 20.0.124

rhk

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: INFO ERASED
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 01:31:44 am »

I doubt your INFO was ERASED as FLAC files do not contain ID3 tags. FLAC has it's own native tagging system which is identical to that of Vorbis. They are called alternately "FLAC tags" and "Vorbis comments". It is the only tagging system required and guaranteed to be supported by FLAC implementations.

“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: INFO ERASED
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 08:05:11 am »

JRiver uses it's own internal library to keep track of a LOT of fields that aren't supported by all music files.  The library is a binary format that's specific to JRiver and is totally separate from the music files.

MC makes a backup of the Library every few days and stores it in a Library backups directory.  According to the wiki, these backups are in the JRiver folder under Documents.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

If you have access to the old computer's hard drive, this is the way to go.  Get that backups directory and then restore the latest backup to your new computer.  Or maybe use a backup from a few days before your computer crashed, in case there was any corruption.

Good luck to you.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up