INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lynx AES16e  (Read 5127 times)

Primare Knob

• Recent member
Lynx AES16e
« on: July 23, 2015, 07:16:17 am »

Hi,

I am considering buying a LynxAES16e digital router audio card to be used with JRiver.

As I understand this audio card does work with JRiver, but will it give me 16 output channels?

What are the things to keep an eye on and which cables and hardware have people successfully used with the Lynx?
It is a bit of a steep investment so I like to get things right.

Thanks for your help.

Primare Knob

• Recent member
Re: Lynx AES16e
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 06:27:11 pm »

What cable pin layout should I pick for use with standard hifi equipment?

JAVA Alive

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 07:08:09 am »

Hi,

according to http://www.lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=16 the AES 16e inputs and outputs are AES/EBU digital.
 Therefore you should by a Lynx cable with AES/EBU connects like this one : http://www.lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=41

Note that each AES/EBU in 1 stereo chanels.

Of course, you also need a DAC with AES input before going to the pre-amp (or a pre-amp with an AES digital input).

If you want more than 1 stero chanels, the card will allow you go up to 4 stereo chanels with one cable and 8 stereo chanels with a second cable.
 In that case, you will need several stereo DACs but I am not sure if such a configuration would work for JRiver.
 Information available on this topic is quite low, I have not found experience feed-back, there are discussions arround delay issue beteween each stereo chanel (but no conclusion and no test feed back, as far as I know), etc.?

In a word, multichanel in JRiver is a jungle for me at this stage.
 Too bad, I think this functionality could be interesting, especially for convolution filtering (replacing electronic filtering in speackers).

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 07:53:51 am »

Hi,

according to http://www.lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=16 the AES 16e inputs and outputs are AES/EBU digital.
 Therefore you should by a Lynx cable with AES/EBU connects like this one : http://www.lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=41

Note that each AES/EBU in 1 stereo chanels.

Of course, you also need a DAC with AES input before going to the pre-amp (or a pre-amp with an AES digital input).

If you want more than 1 stero chanels, the card will allow you go up to 4 stereo chanels with one cable and 8 stereo chanels with a second cable.
 In that case, you will need several stereo DACs but I am not sure if such a configuration would work for JRiver.
 Information available on this topic is quite low, I have not found experience feed-back, there are discussions arround delay issue beteween each stereo chanel (but no conclusion and no test feed back, as far as I know), etc.?

In a word, multichanel in JRiver is a jungle for me at this stage.
 Too bad, I think this functionality could be interesting, especially for convolution filtering (replacing electronic filtering in speackers).

Forum user mojave has/had a lynx aes 16, and it worked well with JRiver.  The issue about using multiple DACs is that they need a common clock.  The Lynx provides a common clock if you use it as the source because aes/ebu outputs carry the clock with them.  So you could feed a large number of DACs from the Lynx and it would work fine.  I don't have a Lynx, but I can confirm that other audio interfaces with SPDIF or AES outputs that I've tested were able to sync external DACs (because the output carried the clock).

What will not work is multiple USB DACs because most USB DACs either do aggressive re-clocking or provide their own clocks.  I have tested this with several different USB devices and never gotten satisfactory results.

To reliably do multichannel in JRiver you need:

1) A single multichannel interface with enough outputs (which is what I currently use)
2) Multiple interfaces one of which can send and the rest of which can receive a wordclock or ADAT signal, or
3) Something like the Lynx that outputs several digital channels using an output that carries the clock and enough DACs to receive them.

Trying to do three is non-trivial because many DACs lack an SPDIF or AES input to begin with.  The easiest way by far is to do option 1; Lynx even sells a high quality device that will do it http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Aurora16 that would like as not be cheaper to buy than a 16 AES and seven or eight DACs with AES/EBU inputs. Cheaper yet (and almost as good) is a Steinberg UR824 or a Focusrite 18i20 although those both only have 8 total channel outputs (4 stereo pairs).

JAVA Alive

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 12:53:23 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for information. More clear now.
 I need only 2.2 so something like a Lynx AES would be cheaper thatn an aurora. Just 1 more DAC with AES input, and the card that's it.
 BTW, as I need only 2 stereo digital outputs, I'm looking for an even cheaper card than the Lynx AES. I opened a topic for it with very little success. ;-)
 Any idea ?

I have tested this with several different USB devices and never gotten satisfactory results.

Really ? I thought JRiver can address only 1 USB Dac at a time. How did you manage to do this setup ?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 03:17:40 pm »

Really ? I thought JRiver can address only 1 USB Dac at a time. How did you manage to do this setup ?

Use multiple zones and link them.  That's how I did it.  You could also try using a sound device aggregator like ASIO4All.  Neither is ideal, and neither worked particularly well with USB devices.
Pages: [1]   Go Up