INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More reasons to stay with MC21  (Read 4185 times)

franswilco

• World Citizen
Re: More reasons to stay with MC21
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 12:22:38 pm »

That's why kids: Always make back-ups!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 12:36:34 pm »

If that's true, why isn't the press reporting it?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 12:58:07 pm »

The Loop is a major apple-oriented blog, and Jim Dalrymple was an editor at Macworld for several years in the aughts and still has direct contacts at Apple.  Put another way, that blog post is the press reporting it.  He wrote it yesterday, I'd expect it to get picked up by other Apple news services soon.

Issues with having pre-existing non-DRM files getting converted to DRM-only files (which you'd lose if you left the service) have already been reported a few places, and it looks like his issue may be partly related to that based on the comments.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 02:25:22 pm »

He isn't alone, though from reports I've read, it is mostly limited to users who have:

1. A number of devices with dissimilar libraries across them.
2. Large, complex music libraries.
3. Initiate the original sync from their mobile device, rather than iTunes on a Mac or Windows computer.

There's been some grumbles from press, and yes, Dalrymple will generate a response from Apple. Pretty much no one else in the press can generate a response quicker (maybe @gruber, but I'd even give The Beard the edge).

Many of the issues are that the Match doesn't work via fingerprints when initiated from an iOS device (but uses tag-matching instead). A bunch of Jim's issues fall into this category.

It is a cluster for "advanced" users, though, and it seems way too easy to accidentally get your stuff replaced with DRM copies (apparently some of this has been fixed in recent, still-beta releases). Though many, many "regular" people I've talked to have been happy with it, I think for anyone who would be interested in MC...

Stay away. It is not for those of us obsessed with our libraries.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 04:54:03 pm »

I'm an Apple fan. I run JRiver on a mac.  But I've been saying for a while now that the entire itunes team should be fired.  It's just the worst piece of software they make because they keep messing with it, seemingly with no design paradigm.

Apple Music seems to have huge technical hurdles that just scream "bad design" to me.

I'm automatically out of the kool-aid drinking sector on this one because:

1.  I don't "do" DRM based music.  I really don't like any kind of "music store" unless it does straight up regular downloads; no special program required.
2.  I'm anti-streaming.  I realize I'm almost alone in this, but I think streaming is the next step in devaluing music.  I oppose it on a philosophical and economic basis.
3.  Itunes entire paradigm is broken as I've already said above.

I'll be curious to see what happens.  These kinds of highly publicized bad events have a way of killing off software and services.

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 05:05:49 pm »

1.  I don't "do" DRM based music.  I really don't like any kind of "music store" unless it does straight up regular downloads; no special program required.
2.  I'm anti-streaming.  I realize I'm almost alone in this, but I think streaming is the next step in devaluing music.  I oppose it on a philosophical and economic basis.

+1 to all of that
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 01:48:04 pm »

I'm an Apple fan. I run JRiver on a mac.  But I've been saying for a while now that the entire itunes team should be fired.  It's just the worst piece of software they make because they keep messing with it, seemingly with no design paradigm.

Apple Music seems to have huge technical hurdles that just scream "bad design" to me.

I'll be curious to see what happens.  These kinds of highly publicized bad events have a way of killing off software and services.

Brian.

Not to mention it's the bastardized sidekick to their evil portable hardware encryption scheme.
Pages: [1]   Go Up