INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't play 24/96 files  (Read 2941 times)

czapp

• Recent member
Can't play 24/96 files
« on: July 24, 2015, 09:10:43 am »

I recently upgraded to 126, and just noticed that I can no longer play 24/96 files. All others - including DSD, DSD2x, are fine.
Is there a setting that needs to be changed? never had this problem before.
Thanks

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Can't play 24/96 files
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:15:59 am »

One thing to try is going into Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings and changing the hardware buffering.  Let us know if that helps.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

czapp

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 10:03:22 am »

Tried changing the buffering but it did not help. Any other suggestions?

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 10:04:40 am »

Can you describe what happens when you try playing a 24/96 file?
Adam Thompson, JRiver

czapp

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 10:18:29 am »

It's a warbled sound. I can make out the music, but completely unlistenable. I only have a few of these  24/96 files, but have never had a problem with them. And, as I said all other file formats are ok.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 10:18:48 am »

It's probably worth double checking your output format settings.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup#Output_Format

You should get a box that looks like this:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/File:MC19-DSP-Output_Format.png

Check to see what rate 96kHz is set to convert to (if any).  Then check to see what others are set to, especially high rates like 384, as that's what single rate DSD will use as it's conversion target.  If we are lucky, somehow one or more of these rates has been changed, and you can just set it back to the correct conversion rate.

Brian.

czapp

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 10:43:34 am »

My output encoding is set to 2x DSD. The sample rates are greyed out, but they all say no change

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 11:23:59 am »

That output encoding tells MC to convert EVERYTHING to DSD.  You probably don't want that.  Set output encoding to None and test again.  :)

Brian.

czapp

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 12:05:51 pm »

Brian
Please excuse my ignorance on this topic. ? I normally keep the display to off, on my DAC - Playback Designs MPS-5.
I turned it back on, and now I can see the sample rate it is playing. When I set the output encoding to none, and the 96,000 rate to 96,000
I get that warbled sound, and the sample rate on the DAC reads 88.2. If I  set the output encoding to DSD 2x, the sound on these 96,000 files is now ok, and the DAC reads DSD2x. If I set the output encoding to none, and put no change to the output rate, all files with the exception of the 96,000 rate play ok, and are being outputted at the correct rate. For some reason, the 24/96 files keep getting outputted at 88.2 and have that warbled sound.
Hope this makes sense
Carl

czapp

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 12:12:47 pm »

One more question-
What is the downside of all files being converted to DSD 2x?

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 03:13:56 pm »

I know a little about audio conversion and setup with JRiver, but not a whole lot.  I'm just trying to help as much as I can.  I don't have a good idea as to why you are seeing a 96kHz file playing at 88.2.  I have a few suggestions that may or may not help.

Open up Audio MIDI Setup.  You can find it in your Applications/Utilities folder.  It's an app included with OSX to help you configure Audio devices.  While you are playing a song look at the device you are using (in the left hand pane).  Click on it and see what format it lists for audio.  This should change when you play songs at different sampling rates.  JRiver should control this directly and choose the proper rate.  Check with something you know, like 16 bit 44.1kHz.  Then try one of your mystery 24/96k files and see what it says.

My only other idea is that somehow your 24/96k files are corrupted or otherwise authored incorrectly.  Here's a page with a sampling of songs in high resolution, at a whole bunch of different bit rates for each song.  Download a song (or two or three) that you might like, at 24/96k and try to play those with JRiver.  That way we know we are starting with known good tracks.

http://www.2l.no/hires/

(note the username and password at the top of the page:  2L )

As I said, I don't know if any of this is the answer or not.  Maybe someone else reading this has some wisdom to offer.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Brian.

czapp

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 03:51:44 pm »

Brian
That was really helpful. I think the issue might be in my DAC. I downloaded a couple of 24/96 tracks from your site. The MIDI shows the output rate at 9600, yet the DAC is seeing it as 88.2 If I convert all as DSDx2, the DAC reads everything as DSDx2, and plays all files, including the 24/96. For some reason it's not seeing the 24/96 when it's output as 24/96. I'll get in touch with Playback Designs and see what they say.
Thank you so much for all of your help.
-Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up