INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can a DVD be created from a recorded tv show? If so how?  (Read 2010 times)

joeb

• Recent member
Can a DVD be created from a recorded tv show? If so how?
« on: July 24, 2015, 11:35:51 am »

MC20 is good at recording TV shows and playing them back.  Is there a way to put the show onto a DVD for playback in a dvd player at a later time?  If so, can you please explain in detail how to do it.  I have found a few places that allude to it but either instructions are outdated or don't work as I understand them.

Thank you

JoeB

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can a DVD be created from a recorded tv show? If so how?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 11:50:44 am »

I think that the responses to your previous inquiries have been lacking because it begs the question, "why would you want to do that?"

It's certainly doable outside of MC with a lot of manual intervention, but it's not something that is commonly done in 2015. There is probably a much better solution available.

Just so we know that we aren't helping you reinvent the wheel here, could you describe your scenario?

joeb

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 12:06:33 pm »

I would like to record some tv shows for the grand kids and burn them to dvd for later viewing when traveling. 
I don't want to reinvent any wheels I just would like to be able to do what is the best way for doing it.  One of the reasons I wanted MC is for the capturing of TV shows. 

Thank you for your response

JoeB

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 12:59:45 pm »

Is there a smartphone, tablet, or some other device that travels with the kids? That would be the easiest solution since MC can sync the video files in the appropriate format to the device. Another option is if there is a computer available at the destination, in which case you could stream to the device via Library Server.

If those options aren't available, you'll first need to make sure you are recording to .ts format in MC since I don't know of any DVD burning programs that can read .jtv files using the DS filter (there's been some work done at VideoRedo, but I don't think it's fully come to fruition). This is a huge drawback since you'll lose time-shifting ability and the ability to start recording while a show is in progress.

The .ts format is tricky in and of itself because it is simply a transport stream for the underlying video broadcast so it doesn't know whether it's encoding a DVD-compatible format (MPEG-2) or something else altogether. Unless you know what you're recording, it's probably easiest to just demux and remux everything to MPEG-2-PS (file with .mpeg extension that can be burned to DVD using practically any DVD burning software). You may run into issues with audio/video syncing.

There are a few ways to do this, some more complicated than others. Here is a tutorial on how to get burnable MPEG-2 files from .ts files for free: http://arzur.net/2010/05/07/burning-mpeg2-ts-to-a-dvd/

Here is software that I can't vouch for that appears to do everything for you: http://www.mp4-dvd-converter.com/burn-dvd/convert-ts-to-dvd.html

Another option is to record shows in WMC and burn the resulting WTV files to DVD in WMC.

I'm sure there are other people here that are more up-to-date on this stuff than me, hopefully they will chime in. I remember some talk about being able to remux M2TS in ffdshow and avisynth--which could lead to an automated command-line solution for you, but I can't seem to find any info on that.

As you can tell, this is an outdated, convoluted process that we are all glad to put behind us out of sight, out of mind. It's far easier to avoid optical media altogether.

If I were in your shoes I would look into investing into something like an Android stick for ~$30 that you could load up with video files and play via HDMI to TVs during traveling without an internet connection.

Edit: Looks like http://mctvconverter.vivolum.net/ might be a good option to autoremux.

joeb

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 03:12:45 pm »

I thank you for the response and the leads.  It has been the best one I have seen and I have been searching for a while before I asked.  I am used to the manual conversion (with software of course) since the WMC removed the burn to dvd option. 

I only need the dvd for the kids enjoyment my other options are limited with them atm. 

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 09:25:20 am »

Did you try dragging your video to the burn action window in MC and selecting "DVD Video" for the type of burn?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up