INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming pros and cons  (Read 2536 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Streaming pros and cons
« on: July 24, 2015, 02:48:42 pm »

2.  I'm anti-streaming.  I realize I'm almost alone in this, but I think streaming is the next step in devaluing music.  I oppose it on a philosophical and economic basis.
In an ideal world, streaming is the perfect solution: "Siri, please play The Beatles - She Loves You".

In the real world, it's the lowest common denominator version of music.  It won't be a substitute for a music collection because The Beatles will be on one service and Pink Floyd on a different one, and the total monthly charge to have all possible music, will probably resemble the usury that is cell charges.

Worse than that, the best masterings of music are usually the earliest ones, not the latest "we want to collect another $14.99 from you" remastering that is found on streaming services.

So, if you are saying that streaming leads to people listening to whatever music is most financially beneficial for multinational corporations, then I agree with you.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Streaming pros and cons
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 02:52:54 pm »

In an ideal world, streaming is the perfect solution: "Siri, please play The Beatles - She Loves You".

So, if you are saying that streaming leads to people listening to whatever music is most financially beneficial for multinational corporations, then I agree with you.

streaming devalues music because it destroys the concept of an album and changes the consumption of music

this started with the CD (which killed the A/B side) but even then an album was viewed as a whole; a piece of art

streaming is all about singles, and although i'm sure there are a few out there who stream albums, it is the 99% percentile.  

then there is the quality issue vs. bandwidth, high bitrate lossy is great sounding, but CD (or high res!) it is definitely not.

but i digress, OT, and an opinion.  to attempt an on topic reply, one of the great benefits of MC and similar software, is it encourages the old school collection, albums on a digital shelf but still hearkens to the days of olde
Pages: [1]   Go Up