INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Menu item: View > Load / Save View  (Read 3989 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Menu item: View > Load / Save View
« on: July 24, 2015, 08:44:57 pm »

Back when I was doing experiments with database views... like the ones under Audio or Video in the left Navigation Pane, I tried this menu option.  I thought it might save an Audio or Video view that I could then recall.  It didn't work.

It took until today doing some poking around for me to realize what this menu option does:  It saves your Tabs and any Splits you might have open.  So if you like to have 5 tabs open to various places, you can save that as a preset and then recall it from that menu to load up all of your tabs.  Same thing with split views.  Interesting option.

I've saved a couple to play with, but I probably won't use them much if at all.  One is useless actually, as it only has the start page in a single tab.  But there's a small question....

How do I delete saved presets from this menu?  I see save.  I see load.  I don't see anywhere to delete them.  I looked in the file system and didn't see anything there either.  I'm guessing it's internal.

Any wisdom is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Menu item: View > Load / Save View
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 11:49:41 pm »

I guess you could delete them from the registry...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 20\Properties\View Presets

In my test, I did not even need to close MC, just delete, and they were gone. There's no way that's an official, supported answer though, mess about in there at your own risk.

I get the feeling that you probably wouldn't have a problem with that, but you are also correct in that a delete option needs to be in there somewhere.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 09:11:34 am »

Thanks Marko.  I'm sort of like the kid who snuck into the classroom here.  I run the Mac version of Media Center.  I post general questions here on the Windows board because it gets SO MUCH more traffic then the Mac board.  I figure I'll normally get a lot more replies here.  So I can't do the registry thing on my Mac.  :)

I wonder where those clever boys hid it on the Mac version...

Brian.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 09:42:34 am »

That's fair enough. I probably would not have answered had you posted in the MAC forum as some MAC user would likely reply along the lines of asking me not to bother replying if I don't know what I'm talking about...

The portable Windows MC uses an ini file for its registry. Do MACs use anything similar to those?

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 09:55:32 am »

The portable Windows MC uses an ini file for its registry. Do MACs use anything similar to those?

Boom!  In the library folder under Settings is User Settings.ini .  Inside that file are the Load / Save view presents that I saved.  They are in stanzas, so I can probably just delete the entire stanza.  After making a backup of the file of course.

I think I'll sit on this for a little while before taking the risk of breaking it.

Thanks again Marko!

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 11:24:45 am »

I wonder where those clever boys hid it on the Mac version...

Yes. MC's HKCU registry keys are duplicated on Mac here:
~/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 20/Settings/User Settings.ini

In fact, this makes it easier to reset the OSX version of MC to defaults than it is on Windows, because you can just delete or move that file. On Windows, you have to uninstall and tell it to remove Registry settings, and then reinstall.

By the way, it is worth mentioning: If you're mucking about, the other file in the same directory, Machine Settings.ini will not really contain anything of use. This replicates the HKLM registry hive on Windows, and isn't relevant to basically anything you can set on MC directly, or that is worth mucking with.

And, remember, a Library Backup contains both, so it the easiest way to make a backup is to make a Library Backup, and not manually.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 11:07:35 am »

I should probably ask for this to be moved to the MC20 for Mac forum...

I just wanted to report success with removing a saved view from the INI file.  Worked no problem without even restarting MC.  I then stopped and started MC to make sure the change persisted and it did.  No problems at all.  :)

Thanks for the help guys.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up