INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something Went Wrong with Playback  (Read 6881 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Something Went Wrong with Playback
« on: July 27, 2015, 01:35:50 pm »

I'm getting this a LOT when trying to start up the TV...

Playback Problem
Something Went Wrong with Playback
Details
Digital TSRenderStreamToWriter - Failed to build upperstream graph
No combination of intermediate filters could be found to make the connection.

I have no idea what all that means but it is coming up a lot.

Sometimes the first channel selected will load correctly but when I try to switch to another channel the above message comes up.

Sometimes it comes up even on the first channel selected.

It used to be I could stop the error by rebooting the computer but today even that does not help. HELP (sorry about that, I could not resist). 

Any ideas.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

DocLotus

Re: Something Went Wrong with Playback
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 12:30:06 pm »

Any suggestions; anyone?
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 01:58:28 pm »

What kind of tuners do you have?

This message comes up if MC fails to build a DirectShow graph.  It could be that your tuner is in use somewhere.

Unless your channel-changing involves different types of channel, or you are trying to change channel while a device is recording, you should not get this error. 
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

DocLotus

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 02:56:58 pm »

AH... Thanks for responding.

What kind of tuners do you have?
ATI Theater HD 750 PCIE Tuner Card by Diamond Multimedia.

or you are trying to change channel while a device is recording, you should not get this error.

If you are saying what I think you are then I'm in BIG trouble. I have recordings going on all over the place (at least one almost every hour during Prime Time). If I read you correctly I can't record one channel & view another at the same time?

If that is the case it explains a lot as last night I completely cleared out all my TV channels & started over with a clean slate & have not had time to re-do any of my recording set ups (there are currently none). I have also not received a single error message since last night.

Are there any TV Tuner cards that allow recordings to take place AND view another channel? If so which ones work well?

Can I use dual TV Tuner cards to do the same thing?

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 03:15:02 pm »

AH... Thanks for responding.
ATI Theater HD 750 PCIE Tuner Card by Diamond Multimedia.

If you are saying what I think you are then I'm in BIG trouble. I have recordings going on all over the place (at least one almost every hour during Prime Time). If I read you correctly I can't record one channel & view another at the same time?

If that is the case it explains a lot as last night I completely cleared out all my TV channels & started over with a clean slate & have not had time to re-do any of my recording set ups (there are currently none). I have also not received a single error message since last night.

Are there any TV Tuner cards that allow recordings to take place AND view another channel? If so which ones work well?

Can I use dual TV Tuner cards to do the same thing?

Each TV tuner tunes one channel at a time. So, you need one tuner per channel being either watched or recorded.

A "Dual TV Tuner" - like the Hauppauge 2250 - has two tuners in the same card (and so uses only one PCIE slot).

You can also use USB TV tuners (like the Hauppauge 955Q), so you can add a USB TV tuner to your existing PCIE tuner.

There are also networked TV tuners that can be used with MC20, such as the Silicon Dust HD Home Run that have models with more than one tuner.  They connect to your network in the same way as a printer or file server, and then can be accessed by any PC/laptop/device on your network.

On TV tuners, see:

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-tv-tuner-cards-1600439009

DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 03:48:52 pm »

Thanks, kstuart.

I was just looking at the Hauppauge site & at the WinTV-HVR-2255. It is available on Amazon & looks real good.

Have many users had good results with the 2255?

There is another fly in the ointment... although I'm currently OTA with a digital antenna I will be adding ATT U-Verse TV to the mix in the future. What do you think about the Hauppauge Colossus? The problem (I think) is it has no ATSC OTA antenna inputs. Would the 2255 be my best choice for OTA AND U-Verse?

kstuart

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 11:25:30 am »

I'm far from an expert on U-Verse TV, but I'm pretty sure it comes over the phone line rather than any RF Cable connection.

So, I don't think any of the TV tuners will work with it... but I have never investigated that issue, so I could be wrong.

But my guess is that you would using a U-Verse TV DVR and either a) that DVR would have an OTA TV input (just like Dish and DirecTV DVRs), or else b) you be using the U-Verse DVR into one input of your TV and JRiver MC20 into another input of your TV.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 11:57:54 am »

I do not know much about U-Verse either.  As kstuart pointed out, you probably will need a video capture device to capture video from the AT&T provided box.  In other words, set it up as Set-top box type of channels in MC.

As for the capture device, Colossus is a possibility.  There are other devices that can do the same.  Many ATSC tuners (for example Hauppauge 2255 that you mentioned) have the video capture feature too.  However, one thing is never clear to me, that is whether these devices allow you to capture video at the same time tune to an ATSC channel.  For example, with Hauppauge WinTV 2255, if you use it to run a STB channel from U-Verse, will you still be able to record two ATSC channels simultaneously.  You need to get an answer from Hauppauge.  If the answer if yes, you can use one device for both purposes.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

DocLotus

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 01:01:08 pm »

Hi guys;

Thanks for the input.

I'm far from an expert on U-Verse TV, but I'm pretty sure it comes over the phone line rather than any RF Cable connection.

U-Verse is all fiber-optic from AT&T to the user's phone box in the back yard where it comes into the house vie copper wire line. It then goes through your phone lines in the house to an AT&T supplied router (which also carries internet) then into a set-top box which can be a simple box or a DVR.

The set-top box has the usual outputs such as S-Video, YPbPr, HDMI, Optical, Video Out, etc. so I'm thinking I should have no trouble connecting it to the Hauppauge WinTV 2255.

kstuart

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 02:36:16 pm »

But that connection - from the U-Verse box - would be analog, and not as good quality.

If you are already paying for channels from U-Verse, then those channels should be DVR-ed on your U-Verse box.

In fact, IF (like a Dish or DirecTV DVR) it has an ATSC input, then it would make more sense to just use the U-verse DVR.

DocLotus

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 03:29:28 pm »

Good points, thanks.

kstuart

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 04:27:29 pm »

One point about the TV tuners (which may be worth noting by future readers as well):

IF you only have one PCI-E slot available, then the dual tuner 2250 (or 2255) might be a good option.  However, it uses an internal splitter:

Quote from: from another forum
I spoke with a tech guy at Hauppauge and he said the tuner is the same in the 2255 and the 1265, but there is a 6db loss in the signal splitter within the 2255. If you are short on PCIe slots, the 2255 may be required if you want two tuners. But since 6db is a lot of signal loss, spring for two 1265's if you can.

So, if you are trying to receive weak signals, then one feed going to one tuner is best.  You might even want to use a cheap antenna going to one tuner and then the higher signal outdoor antenna to a 1265.  MC20 now can assign channels to only use specific tuners, which makes that scheme viable.

If you only have one PCI-E slot, you can also use a 1265 there and add a 955Q USB tuner to get two tuners.

DocLotus

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 04:39:27 pm »

That was most interesting.

Thanks, kstuart

DocLotus

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 05:20:43 am »

Installed the new Hauppauge WinTV 2255 Dual TV Tuner & it resolved the original problem; I can now record one channel & view another at the same time.

Signal Quality is good (most in the 90+ percent range).

Signal Strength however is a mystery, previously I was seeing two digit numbers like 80. Now I'm getting weird numbers all starting with a minus such as -1000, -9000, -9500, -5000.  What the heck does that mean?

DocLotus

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 08:52:34 am »

I just set up the new Hauppauge WinTV 2255 Dual TV Tuner in WMC as I wanted to do a signal scan of all channels.

I always liked the way WMC displays the signal scan strength with 1-6 bars & color providing a very good visual indicator for each & every channel.  I'm happy to report that ALL channels passed with flying colors as EVERY ONE had either a 5 or 6 bar rating (most impressive considering that I'm using an indoor TEAK digital antenna sitting on the floor next to my computer without the power amplifier that comes with it).

SOOOooo.... To answer kstuart thoughtful comments....
I spoke with a tech guy at Hauppauge and he said the tuner is the same in the 2255 and the 1265, but there is a 6db loss in the signal splitter within the 2255. If you are short on PCIe slots, the 2255 may be required if you want two tuners. But since 6db is a lot of signal loss, spring for two 1265's if you can.

So, if you are trying to receive weak signals, then one feed going to one tuner is best.  You might even want to use a cheap antenna going to one tuner and then the higher signal outdoor antenna to a 1265.  MC20 now can assign channels to only use specific tuners, which makes that scheme viable.

So... I either have very strong signals or I just lucked out but either way the Hauppauge WinTV 2255 Dual TV Tuner is one terrific tuner card (at least for me anyway).  So, I'm once more a happy camper.

kstuart

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 12:25:20 pm »

It just depends where you are.

For example, if you live in "The Valley" in Los Angeles, then you have line-of-sight to dozens of OTA channels from the towers on the tallest hill.   In that situation, there are no "weak signals" and a 2255 is just fine.

However, if you live in a small-to-medium size town, then you probably only have a couple of network stations with strong signal, and other network stations are in the next town 60 miles away with weak signals.  (This is one of the situations that led to cable TV back 35 years ago.)

DocLotus

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 01:42:08 pm »

That's understandable.

I live in Houston, Texas.  We have over 100 OTA TV channels (a true "International city").

I'm in an apartment on the second floor with few tall building around so most everything is "line-of-site" as the city is very flat. I'm located in a part of the city that is a little higher than most (we NEVER flood here).  So I understand what you mean by live in "The Valley" in Los Angeles.

The interesting thing is using the same Trek indoor antenna (but without the supplied amplifier) I'm actually receiving much stronger signals than before with the same equipment (except for the Hauppauge WinTV 2255 Dual TV Tuner). Could it be the 2255 has some built-in signal amplification or maybe it just works better on weaker signals?

Either way I'm happy with it.

DocLotus

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 05:57:17 pm »

What does this mean?

Signal Strength however is a mystery, previously I was seeing two digit numbers like 80. Now I'm getting weird numbers all starting with a minus such as -1000, -9000, -9500, -5000.  What the heck does that mean?

MC is showing weird signal strength numbers as show above. Any ideas?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 06:10:52 pm »

No idea. But I do know that Signal Quality is more important than Signal Strength when it comes to being able to receive channels. You seem to have pretty good numbers for that, at over 90%.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

DocLotus

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 06:23:35 pm »

Yes, Quality is much higher with this tuner card than what I had before. I'm pretty happy with it.

DocLotus

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 02:30:48 pm »

Decided to re-install my old TV Tuner card (ATI Theater HD 750 PCIE Tuner Card by Diamond Multimedia) in addition to the Hauppauge WinTV 2255 Dual TV Tuner card which now gives me three TV tuners.

I'm happy to report that MCTV recognized the additional tuner with no-problems & is showing (and using) all three.

I can now record (and view at the same time) up to three programs in the same time frame, or record two and watch an entirely different channel. Really nice feature.

I must also say this is one area where MCTV really aced out WMC as WMC would not recognize any of my three tuners until I did a complete new setup & re-scan of the channels which of course added all 119 OTA channels back into the Guide so I had to re-edit the guide back down to the 20 channels I actually wanted. MCTV kept my 20 channels intact ... NICE.

Pages: [1]   Go Up