INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 20 not working on Windows 10 [Reinstall MC to fix]  (Read 17954 times)

Boom Boom

• Recent member
MC 20 not working on Windows 10 [Reinstall MC to fix]
« on: July 29, 2015, 10:35:37 pm »

Downloaded and installed Windows 10 today. I reserved my upgrade from MC 18 to MC 21. Getting ready I previously installed MC20. After doing full system Windows Defender scan, I tried launching MC 20. I got an error message: Media Center was installed for a different operating system. Please reinstall Media Center.    :(

I hope JRiver resolves this for MC 21. It would be nice to use Media Center again. Btw - Windows 10 did away with Windows Media Center.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 20 not working on Windows 10 [Reinstall MC to fix]
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 10:50:14 pm »

Btw - Windows 10 did away with Windows Media Center.  ?

Oh dear. You did read the warnings, discussion and description of changes for Windows 10, didn't you?
Because one of the most prominent warnings was that Windows Media Center was not included in Windows 10, and that upgrading to Windows 10 would remove Windows Media Center from your PC.

Anyway, for the moment, just reinstall the latest version of JRiver MC20 on Windows 10 now. You will probably find that it works.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

taran1900

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 11:22:38 pm »

I just upgraded to Win 10 and media center failed to launch at first. I upgraded to Media Center 20.0.132 and it works fine on Windows 10.

;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 01:17:14 am »

MC20 works fine on Windows 10, and has all along during the Windows 10 betas (except when they were badly broken).

When you upgrade from an older OS to Windows 10, some applications don't migrate properly, and have to be reinstalled. Reinstall and you'll be fine.

Oh dear. You did read the warnings, discussion and description of changes for Windows 10, didn't you?
Because one of the most prominent warnings was that Windows Media Center was not included in Windows 10, and that upgrading to Windows 10 would remove Windows Media Center from your PC.

I don't know what you're going on about here. He was, as best I could tell, talking about MC being unable to launch. The "installed for another operating system" is a message you can get when launching MC itself (when you upgrade the OS). You just have to re-install it.

There was no mention of Windows Media Center (the Microsoft thing from Windows 7 that they half-cancelled with Windows 8 and isn't in Windows 10), other than yours.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jdeaton0622

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 05:00:38 am »

I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday.  JRiver MC 20 is working fine but JRemote on my iPhone and iPad no longer connect to MC.

What do I need to do to correct this?

Thanks,
John

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 06:28:53 am »

Glynor, go back and look at what I quoted from the OP's post.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 06:51:40 am »

Glynor, go back and look at what I quoted from the OP's post.

Oh.  :-[

somebike

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 09:58:57 am »

I have put off upgrading the machine I primarily use as my music server.  I assume proper procedure would be to do a library back up before upgrading and then on the reinstall, it will be necessary to restore the library or is the library intact but just not read by the OS changes.  Can anyone confirm proper upgrade procedures to ensure proper MC functioning?

Thanks,
Mike

djbarnas

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 11:27:34 am »

Greetings,

New to the forum ...

Yesterday I installed Windows 10 and was testing out my programs.  When I opened Media Center a message popped up informing me that I need to reinstall Media Center.  Is this as simple as downloading the "free version" putting in my activation code and it will work or is version 20 not compatible with Windows 10 and I need to wait for version 21?

Dave

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 12:04:19 pm »

You should only need to reinstall whatever version you were using.  No need to enter an activation code again.  MC 20 works with windows 10.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 05:28:52 pm »

I assume proper procedure would be to do a library back up before upgrading and then on the reinstall, it will be necessary to restore the library or is the library intact but just not read by the OS changes.  Can anyone confirm proper upgrade procedures to ensure proper MC functioning?

Making the Library Backup is a good idea, just as a backup.

But, no, it'll read the Library just fine if you upgrade Windows "in place" (rather than a clean install). The application won't open until you re-install overtop of it (which is common with OS upgrades), but it doesn't damage the Library or application settings in any way.

So, a good process would be:

1. Make a Library Backup and save it somewhere safe (on a separate disk), for just-in-case purposes.
2. Upgrade Windows.
3. Fix your drivers as the Windows upgrade probably borked them all up (especially GPU drivers).
4. Download the latest installer for MC20 (currently 20.0.132) and install it.
5. Should be good to go.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 05:32:55 pm »

One thing worth mentioning, but very unlikely to apply here:

If your machine is bound to a Windows Domain and you are using domain credentials to log in, then when you upgrade to Windows 10, it will "archive" your entire user directory into the Windows.old directory, and you won't have access to your old Library Data or settings, so the Library Backup will be very important.

This ONLY applies to domain user accounts though, probably with machines in a corporate environment. If you are on an Enterprise domain, check with your IT department before doing the upgrade.

I only mention it because it happened to me on one of my VMs, and I had to roll the whole upgrade back and save a bunch of stuff from my old user profile manually.  Luckily, it was a VM and I had a saved snapshot of pre-upgrade, so it was simple to do.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 06:45:02 pm »

Luckily, it was a VM and I had a saved snapshot of pre-upgrade, so it was simple to do.

I would add to that, make a full backup of your Windows install drive if you can. I know I will be making a couple, with two different backup solutions. One of them will be Windows Backup, so that I can get support for a restore if there are problems.

If Windows 10 sucks too bad, because it isn't ready for my hardware and software, I will be reverting to Windows 7, and I want to be able to do it easily.

Actually I am hoping that it will be a couple of months or so before Microsoft starts nagging me about upgrading, so someone else can suffer all the pain, rather than me.  ;D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 06:58:45 pm »

I'm on the Insiders Fast ring and not sure if the latest from there (V10240) is the same as what is being delivered now.  Can someone do a WinVer for me and confirm what the version # is?
Thanks
nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 07:21:31 pm »

10240 is the final build number, and all future updates will be delivered as regular Windows Update patches (which don't ever bump the build number anyway, except big Service Pack releases).

There was a new update to the last Insider build out yesterday. I updated my VMs.

By the way, 10240 wasn't picked as the final build number by accident. 1024 is, of course, a special number for binary computers (210). The extra zero?

10240k = 10MB
10240M = 10GB
etc.

For Windows 10. Aren't they clever?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 07:39:01 pm »

Yup kinda neat.

Still interested in what WinVer reports for those that upgraded from 7/8 to 10.
JRiver CEO Elect

Shike

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 10:18:52 pm »

Anyone else getting issues with shortcuts not fully adding to the start menu?  The only shortcut that displays under jriver for me is the media server.  I've checked the folder that holds the shortcuts including media server, they're all there but refuse to display.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 10:34:09 pm »

Anyone else getting issues with shortcuts not fully adding to the start menu?  The only shortcut that displays under jriver for me is the media server.  I've checked the folder that holds the shortcuts including media server, they're all there but refuse to display.

Do you have a lot of stuff installed?

There is a bug in Windows 10's Start Menu implementation, which we've been suffering through on the betas for some time. From Peter Bright's review on Ars:

However, this is not the All Programs view of Windows 7 and below. In every Start menu-equipped version of Windows, from Windows 95 to Windows 7, the Start menu was driven by a set of folders and shortcuts on the file system. Those folders and shortcuts were all reflected in the Start menu, including their hierarchical organization. As such, organization of the Start menu was user-controlled. Many stuck with whatever random folders applications created when they were installed, of course, but some created their own elaborate hierarchies and structures to group their applications in whichever way they felt was appropriate.

In Windows 10, it's... different. Windows creates a per-user database containing all the entries that are in Start, both the live tile portion and the All apps portion. This database is (inexplicably) maintained by a system service running as the super-privileged SYSTEM identity. And at the time of writing, this database has the oh-so convenient feature of being limited to around 500 entries.

On fresh Windows 10 installs you'll probably never notice the difference, since it'll take some time to build up 500 or so entries. On my main PC with a full install of Office 2016, the Adobe Creative Cloud suite, Visual Studio 2015, Visual Studio 2013, and many more applications besides, I blew right past this number. The result? The All apps view didn't show all my programs. This would be tolerable if that's all that happened. Stupid and annoying, but tolerable, because since Windows Vista, I've launched apps from Start in exactly one way: by typing the name of the app to search for it. I don't really care about All apps at all.

Except that searching breaks, too. For search-to-start apps, Windows appears to use the same database. If that database is incomplete (because you have too many entries) then too bad, so sad; it won't find your apps and you'll have no good way of launching them.

Better yet, even if you reduce the number of apps to below 500 or so, it doesn't fix anything. There's no easy way to make it re-read all the short cuts in the Start menu directory (that still exists, because it's where installers expect to put their icons) to regenerate the database.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 11:11:52 pm »

There is a bug in Windows 10's Start Menu implementation

Oh dear. That almost makes Windows 10 a non-starter for me. I have 494 shortcuts in my common Start Menu, and another 69 in my User Start Menu.

I can probably clean up stuff I don't and never will use, but that would still leave a lot, because I use a lot of software occasionally. While typing the name or part there of, of a program to find it, what if you have no idea what the name is, such as with the software that drives my microscope? I often go on a discovery tour of my Start Menu to find the software I want.

What sort of idiots thinks up things like a 500 item limit on program shortcuts?! Unbelievable.

Shike

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 11:20:25 pm »

So I have over 900 in my start menu . . . awesome >_>

CountryBumkin

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 07:17:44 am »

Here's more on that issue http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-gives-errors-when-more-than-512-applications-are-installed-76819/

Says "Microsoft promised a fix in the next build" - which did not happen , but I'm sure this will be fixed soon.

djbarnas

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 07:27:37 am »

Thank you!

maintainin

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 06:03:00 pm »

Making the Library Backup is a good idea, just as a backup.

But, no, it'll read the Library just fine if you upgrade Windows "in place" (rather than a clean install). The application won't open until you re-install overtop of it (which is common with OS upgrades), but it doesn't damage the Library or application settings in any way.

So, a good process would be:

1. Make a Library Backup and save it somewhere safe (on a separate disk), for just-in-case purposes.
2. Upgrade Windows.
3. Fix your drivers as the Windows upgrade probably borked them all up (especially GPU drivers).
4. Download the latest installer for MC20 (currently 20.0.132) and install it.
5. Should be good to go.

Where do download .132 from. I just installed w10 last night and download and reinstalled MC20 today but it's version .131. Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 06:05:04 pm »

It's in a post at the top of this board.

leifikins

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 08:55:18 pm »

The same thing happened to me. I reinstalled JR media 20 and it worked. But once I closed program and reopened the same thing happens. What is the fix? I purchased the upgrade to JR 21 back in July and didn't even receive an email that it was available. correct me if I am wrong but the latest JR is 21 or 20? Any tips would be appreciated!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 06:13:09 pm »

MC21 is on the Download Page.  Please download and install it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up