INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple restores due to my clumsiness?  (Read 2406 times)

bodiebill

• Junior Woodchuck
Multiple restores due to my clumsiness?
« on: July 31, 2015, 03:08:42 am »

Hi,

I just built an audiophile audio server running on Server 2012 core edition.
As it has no connection to the internet I had difficulties installing my MC21 master license. I also experimented with portable installation of MC, which was not straightforward license-wise.
Due to this I have done six restores in the last two weeks – all for this one computer – so I have only four left now.
My clumsiness I guess...

I do hope everything will be stable now, but just in case I need more restores: what is the policy when I have zero restores left?

Thanks!
Dennis

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Multiple restores due to my clumsiness?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 07:14:37 am »

I do hope everything will be stable now, but just in case I need more restores: what is the policy when I have zero restores left?

Just post here and we'll reset you.

I just reset the restores on your master license.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bodiebill

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 01:46:17 am »

Thanks, Matt, appreciated!

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 03:38:43 pm »

I would caution you against using the server core edition of 2012 for MC. NO server OS's are supported especially server core. This has been discussed many times here by those that work with server OS's for living (I'm one of them) and you are not helping yourself going that route. In fact it more than likely has worse performance than a Desktop OS for MC.

You might want to do some reading in some threads here to that effect. FYI I have access to legal/licensed copies of MS Server OS's, know how to tweak them etc, and I run all my MC installs on desktop OS's. Linux distros may offer a difference in that respect, but not windows.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 04:29:07 pm »

X2

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 08:11:21 am »

... I have done six restores in the last two weeks – all for this one computer – so I have only four left now.
It is useful to know that following a restore, the .mjr file sent to you (that registers a copy of MC) works for 14 days, on any of your (your home) computers.  You could have burned a single restore for all your experiments by simply running the .mjr...

I have several computers at home, and I usually have to use a single restore for all of them whenever I change MC or Windows version...

I just built an audiophile audio server running on Server 2012 core edition.
An "audiophile audio server" is an oxymoron : a server, by definition, serves files to another machine, that buffers and plays the files (the "renderer").
It is the renderer that you want optimized for quality (low fan noise, quality DACs or receiver).

And using a core edition WS2012 hoping to have "more polished bits with less jitter"  is simply snake oil, do yourself a favor and stay very far from that  :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up