INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Group Within Groups (In Details View)  (Read 3231 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Feature Request: Group Within Groups (In Details View)
« on: July 31, 2015, 06:07:24 pm »

I have a LOT of sports that I record and then try to organize.  I made a dedicated list for "sports" and then grouped according to the type pf sport:  "Skiing", "Cycling", "Baskteball", etc.  

I love details view and I love the flexibility of sorting/resorting according to column headers, and the ease of rearranging columns.  But there are TWO THINGS I'd like to enhance about this setup:

1.  I would like to "Group" within a group.  I know I can sort within a group, but in details view I cannot nest a group within a group.  In the group "Cycling" I would like to add the groups "Road Cycling" and "MTB".  Within the groupd "Road Cycling" I would like to have groups for the Grand Tours (TDF, etc) as well as minor races.  This would cut down immensely in the organizational clutter.

2.  I would like to be able to collapse a group in details view into its own title bar, with a clickable expand/collapse arrow.  This is exactly what was done in a now-defunct competitor to MC, and possibly for that reason it has never been considered, even though it would only enhance and clean up the details view interface.

For another example of how this might look, imagine you have DVD rips for 4 years of Game of Thrones, along with recording of the most recent season.  In details view, that's just going to sit there are one long list of 40 or 50 files, grouped under "Game of Thrones".  But how about a sub-group for each season, collapse into their own title bars so that you could immediately go the the season you wanted to view?

Again, this all has to do with Details view, and extremely powerful layout that could benefit from these very easy and unobtrusive shortcuts.  

jgreen

Re: Feature Request: Group Within Groups (In Details View)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 09:52:37 am »

This ought to be very helpful for those with very large libraries to manage!  (Bimp)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 02:56:53 pm »

i don't really understand...are you talking about Standard view or Theatre view?

in standard view i do these "groupings" all the time with custom fields, with sub categories / sub genres.  also you can easily view by season in Standard view...

i don't use theatre view much so i can't help there at all...

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 04:11:11 am »

I believe jgreen talking about the 'Group By' function in standard view - which groups files in the file list according to a Group By field or expression. Yes, you can use any custom fields you like, but can only group by one field at a time.

It would be nice to have nested groups - I could envision expand / collapse functionality.

jgreen

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 07:54:34 pm »

Yup, nested groups in standard view/details view.  Groups within groups within groups . .

A group for "Game of Thrones" consisting of a title bar and five nested title bars--one for each season.  Click on a title bar to expand "Season 5" and choose and episode--maybe to review the "walk of shame"?

Or, all five seasons are expanded, so that you see all episodes with title bars separating between seasons.  Easy peasy!

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 12:42:37 pm »

Boomp.

jgreen

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 03:24:19 pm »

Beemp.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 03:52:40 pm »

+1

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 04:43:45 pm »

I'll +1 because I'd certainly use it

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 09:14:13 am »

I don't know... Isn't this what Categories and Panes are for already?

Seems like a lot of complexity to re-invent the wheel in yet one more way.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up