INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Feature Request]  (Read 4098 times)

ichkriegediekriese

• Junior Woodchuck
[Feature Request]
« on: August 01, 2015, 02:48:32 am »

Hi

I am currently using v19 but also tried v20 but so far I could not solve my issue.

I need to down-convert high-res 24bit audio files to 16bit audio so that they can be played via Sonos devices - best via management of portable devices.
In DSP manager I can only select to down-convert khz - so from 48kh to 44.1khz - I also need this but without the bit conversion this is useless.

I think other users also would profit from this feature.

thx

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: [Feature Request]
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 04:01:57 am »

Go to "Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings" for the device you are outputting to, which I assume is a Sonos device.

In "Device Settings" you will see that there is a "Bitdepth" setting. Set it to 16-bit integer.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ichkriegediekriese

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 10:06:43 am »

Go to "Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings" for the device you are outputting to, which I assume is a Sonos device.

In "Device Settings" you will see that there is a "Bitdepth" setting. Set it to 16-bit integer.

Hi

No I am not outputting via my soundcard so this is not a solution.
I use MC to manage a "handheld device" (folder on my NAS) from which all of my Sonos devices play the files from.
So I need MC to make new files with only 16bit for any higher bitrate files I have only for that specific "handheld device".

Your solution would only work for one Sonos devices connected to my soundcard via line in. It would the not be possible to use the sonos app to browser files or to tream to other rooms, which overall kinda spoils the point  :)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 10:50:22 am »

Does SONOS support DLNA?  If so, you could setup your MC instance as a DLNA server, and it could transcode on the fly for the SONOS devices.  That would solve your problems and prevent you from having to mess around with handheld syncing.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 11:17:55 am »

I use MC to manage a "handheld device" (folder on my NAS) from which all of my Sonos devices play the files from.
So I need MC to make new files with only 16bit for any higher bitrate files I have only for that specific "handheld device".

MC has a conversion tool that is separate from the handheld section.  If you highlight any file(s) and then do to Library Tools > Convert Format, you'll see the interface.  From there  you click Options, then go to Audio > Bit Depth.  Then you can select a bit depth to convert to.  This is a one time conversion that can be thought of as an export process. 

I looked all through the Handheld interface and I couldn't find a similar option anywhere.  If you need some of your collection exported at 16 bit, that might be the way to do it.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 07:11:21 pm »

Hmm, it does seem a bit strange that there isn't a Bitdepth setting for handhelds.

Aside from the converter idea, a couple of the Handheld Encoders allow custom settings, including command line settings. Maybe you can work something out there. Of course it depends what format you are placing in the Handheld folder for Sonos to use, whether command line commands are available.

Also, a quick bit of research on Bit Depth in MP3 files informed me that MP3 files don't actually have a Bit Depth, and it is the decoder that decides what Bit Depth to use. I didn't know that. So maybe if you can live with MP3s, perhaps at the "Extreme" quality setting, then maybe the Sonos will play the files without issue, at the Bit Depth that it can support, 16Bit.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Humbledore

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 08:43:17 am »

An edit/rename function for view presets! The current behaviour it's quite annoying considering that you must delete and create a new preset in order just to change the name...
Thanks!

ichkriegediekriese

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 09:11:22 am »

Ok thx

I will give your ideas a try an report back

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 06:00:37 pm »

An edit/rename function for view presets! The current behaviour it's quite annoying considering that you must delete and create a new preset in order just to change the name...
Thanks!

Perhaps that request would be better in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98734.0

The are so many feature request threads at the moment, it is getting hard to find the correct one!

Cylob

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 11:49:55 am »

Would love to see a waveform seekbar like foobar has.
It's the only thing that keeps me from changing to JRiver.
It's a very handy feature and I'm amazed that it's not featured in JRiver MC already.

Humbledore

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 02:54:37 pm »

An enhanced Party Mode (to say the least)! A first step: a mixing feature, maybe something like Pacemaker is offering. Would be awesome!

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 04:37:51 pm »

I'd like it if each episode of a podcast could have its own album art. Some podcasts I listen to have different art for each episode.

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 05:05:58 pm »

Here is a pie-eyed one:

hooks for Cortana in Windows 10.

NedB

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 09:53:07 am »

+1 for Cortana support!
Pages: [1]   Go Up