INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with tagging video files and auto-import  (Read 4402 times)

phillil

• Junior Woodchuck
Problem with tagging video files and auto-import
« on: August 01, 2015, 03:34:54 pm »

Hi there

This is something that I have previously just lived with (although very frustrating) but since taking more note of my Synology NAS, and in particular the Video Station app makes me think I am missing something with JRiver.

When I add a new video file to my video folder on the NAS, Synology Video Station immediately adds the new movie to the VS library with 100% perfect meta-data and poster.

With JR20, I have to manually run auto-import to add the new video file to my library, then manually have to search for the movie in order to lookup the correct meta-data. The posters seem to now be lo-res from Rotten Tomatoes, and quite often is replaced with the first frame of the movie. So as a result most of my movies have lost the poster.

So I wondered why/how can the Synology app do such a good job....   ...so I just read the help page in the DSM software

Basically, as long as the filename is in the correct format;

movies = moviename (year).mkv
tv shows = seriesname SxxExx.mkv

then the meta-data is pretty much perfect 100% of the time, with no need to make any modifications. The process takes place automatically with a few seconds of the video file being added to the video folder

So my question, is it possible to configure JR20 to do the same?? It is really, really frustrating to have to manually add each movie file and then search for the meta-data, not to mention not having cover art.

The Synology Video Station app is really impressive, but I just don;t currently use it because it would mean I would have to push movies to my TV via DLNA which isn't as reliable as having a media PC hooked up direct to my TV (although the prospect of removing the PC completely is tempting)

But I'm a it fed up with the way JRiver handles meta-data, or at least my lack of understanding in order to configure JR20 properly!!

Many thanks and any help would be appreciated

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problem with tagging video files and auto-import
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 05:44:35 pm »

I'm getting pretty much 100% accuracy on movie metadata on import. As long as the file name (movie name) is correct, it works for me. I can't remember the last time it didn't work.

TV show metadata imports work well too as long as you have a Series name, Season number and Episode number. That's the challenging part with OTA recording (currently).

How do you have your "auto import setup"? (Tools>Options>Library & Folders>Configure Auto Import)
Do you have the "Video Folder" monitored and are you adding a "media subtype = video" tag? Do you have the box checked for "Get Movie & TV info"?

phillil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 06:09:06 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am watching my videos folder and when I 'Run Auto Import Now...' the new movies are added, so it appears the auto-import isn't triggering somehow.

I always ensure the filename is correct - as per my original post, the metadata is looked up fine on my Synology.

Even when I manually update the metadata manually via lookup from IMdb for example, the video posters aren't updating  :-[

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 01:48:51 pm »

It's possible that Carnac doesn't understand the template: moviename (year).mkv

Let me take a look.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 08:20:24 am »

In the first builds of MC21, we'll have this:
Changed: Carnac understands the naming template Move Name (Year).

Thanks for the heads up.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

phillil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 03:45:58 pm »

In the first builds of MC21, we'll have this:
Changed: Carnac understands the naming template Move Name (Year).

Thanks for the heads up.

Many thanks Matt, sounds great, and does explain why I've been having problems!! Thought I was going mad  :-\

Also, do you know how to fix my second issue?? ie even if I lookup the movie info, and find the correct movie from example IMDB, the poster/Blu-ray picture is not updated and instead continues to show the first frame of the movie instead

Many thanks

Lee
Pages: [1]   Go Up