INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 256 colors?  (Read 1335 times)

RvdBijl

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
256 colors?
« on: September 16, 2003, 11:19:18 am »

Hello everyone..

Since MC9 does not support remote maintenance of the library, I was thinking of using Terminal Server. Unfortunately this only gives me 256 colors and any of the included skins look horrible. Also, any pictures MC9 tries to display (jpg) look horrendous. Is there any solution to this that I may have missed? Is there a simple skin available that will do straight 256 colors?

Thanks!
Robbert

Robert Taylor

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living in a Smokeless Zone...
Re: 256 colors?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 05:27:05 pm »

Gday,

I'm pretty sure you can customise the colour depth in the properties of your RDP (TermServer) connection.

A modern Windows desktop does indeed look splodgenous to the extreme in 256 colours!
Cheers
Rob

RvdBijl

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 03:56:37 am »

Actually.. Windows Server 2003 supports high color and true color through its RDP Terminal Server, but Windows 2000 Server does not.. :( Most applications look fine though in 256 colors, and even using the Windows Explorer in Thumbnail mode makes the jpg pictures look fairly acceptable. Unfortunately MC9 does not seem to support 256 colors and tries to use the closest color from the palette without dithering, and it makes some of the text and buttons completely unreadable....

Robert Taylor

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 01:42:52 pm »

Gday again!

Why dontcha ditch the RDP client and use VNC instead? (www.realvnc.com). It's free and works a treat for remote desktop control.

Basically install VNC on the server, run it as a service so it's there prior to logon. Then, run VNC Viewer on the client end, and connect to the name/IP address of the server.

It works for me!
Cheers
Rob

udeups

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 01:58:49 pm »

I second the recommendation for using VNC. I would also recommend TightVNC (http://www.tightvnc.com/download.html) as it supports a few more options like fast jpg compression if bandwidth is an issue. I use VNC on a daily basis to access a couple different servers at work and home...
Pages: [1]   Go Up