INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q: How to force MC to REMEMBER where I was (Theater View)  (Read 2665 times)

masterjoe

• World Citizen
Q: How to force MC to REMEMBER where I was (Theater View)
« on: August 04, 2015, 02:50:20 am »

Hi folks,

I always start MC in Theater View because I use an IR remote to control everything.

I run the Media Server before actually starting the Media Client so that the Server will ALWAYS run when Windows boots while the Client is active only sometimes (when I watch something). Whenever I close the Media Client and start it again - MC remembers exactly where I was! Perfect!

However when I now restart my computer and everything starts once again then the position where I was before is totally forgotten and I always start with the main page of the Theater View instead of where I left!! That's bad!

I want the MC Client to ALWAYS start where I was before in Theater View - even after restarting the computer. Is that possible somehow??

Thanks.

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re: Q: How to force MC to REMEMBER where I was (Theater View)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 02:56:42 am »

as far as i know this isnt possible with server/clients

once the client reboots/reconnects to server library then it will load the views/the exact place you were in theaterview on the server.

a little work around is to go into server/theaterview, position all your views as you like them (example videos/movies, i have my default view/landing screen set at Recently imported) if i were to move from recently imported on the server to say genres/actors etc then exit theaterview all future client connections will start with whichever was last viewed on server.

hope this helps.

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 03:06:14 am »

I have to add that server and client run on the SAME machine!

What I mean is that when the machine is running and I quit / enter the MC Client GUI it DOES remember where I was - down to the level of single episodes of a series! But this behavior is not permanent and after a machine restart the position is lost.

What I was hoping to achieve is to remember wehre I was last time as it works while the machine is on.

E.g. I am watching X-Files at the moment. I am in season 3. Now the FIRST time I have to navigate there manually... Disk->USB1->Movies->Mystery->X-Files->Season3 and then I can watch something. As long as the machine runs I can close the client GUI and restart it and it STAYS in the season 3 folder of X-Files.

After restarting the machine I have to start over from the start of the Theater View :(

HTPC4ME

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 03:13:43 am »

i think you may have to wait until the am for a reply from others to confirm... but from the little i know/experienced, all clients use server's views, and they use those views identically to how they were last used on the server.

once there is a reboot OR (in standard view) File/Library click on the server... client will reload library) then all your positions will be wiped out on client, and you will be back to the default views you left off on on the server.

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 03:17:52 am »

Well... but what I was looking for is not far fetched... It's something really useful if you keep watching the same series for a longer period of time.
If it's currently not possible for this server - client combination to remember the last position in Theater View then it should be added to MC!

HTPC4ME

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 03:22:58 am »

Here's the feature requests thread for version 21. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98627.0

I'd wait before posting there (lots of bright minds here...someone may have a workaround for you.)
perhaps bumps this in a day or 2 if you don't hear back.
sorry couldn't be of more assistance.

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 03:27:10 am »

Well at least you tried  ;D  Thanks  :)

Yeah, I'll wait and see if there might be any solution after all...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 06:18:50 am »

On the server, in the options for Startup, set how you want MC to start.  You can at least get it to start in Theater View and to run Media Server automatically.

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 01:51:07 pm »

I have done this already. It does start in Theater View and the media server runs. My MC connects as client GUI on the same machine.
This is not the problem!

The problem is that I want to get back to the "folder" / view where I was the last time. EXACTLY there. Because it is tedious to always navigate back where I was!
The strange thing is that it works as long as the media server is running. After a computer restart it forgets about where I was and the Theater View start with it initial page. BAD.

Can this pls be changed so that the server persistently saves where the client has been so that even after a restart I can come back where I was?
Pages: [1]   Go Up