INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: track # bug  (Read 4429 times)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
track # bug
« on: August 05, 2015, 05:18:04 pm »

hmm...tried posting, the other one didn't show up so if this doubles through the magic of the internet then sorry!

i started this week (MC20) fixing a bunch of tags, starting with track #'s.  the easiest way to do this is open a now playing split with the smartlist view, dragging the files into the correct order and using counter()

it's crashing MC (20 and 21) every fourth or fifth try.  i've attached a log, hopefully it has info otherwise i'll have to dropbox a larger log (i've taken out the crash.dmp and just left the log.txt in order to post)

edit:  i've had the crash several more times so i've emailed the full large logs to JRiver.  it's pretty reproducible
edit2:  if i click on the track# field in the tag action window, then click on any other tag field i can reproduce this crash very often.  the problem is with the track # tag field and not playing now window as i thought!

thanks

blgentry

Re: track # bug
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 07:33:55 pm »

I'm not 100% sure of your exact process, but I'll offer this suggestion:  Have you tried using Right Click > Library Tools > Fill Track Numbers from list order  ?

I believe that can be done from Playing Now.  It can be done from a normal list for sure.  That would eliminate the need to use Counter() and maybe would help with your issue.  Not sure, just offering something I've done before.  Good luck.  :)

Brian.

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 11:30:38 am »

I'm not 100% sure of your exact process, but I'll offer this suggestion:  Have you tried using Right Click > Library Tools > Fill Track Numbers from list order  ?
Brian.
+1 to Brian's suggestion ... and this can be done from any view. Were you using =counter() without any modifiers, btw?  This can get messy depending on the smartlist criteria imo. Definately not the easiest  ;D

Anyway, tagging the album name and album artist -- even if temporary --- will keep the tracks together. And as Brian said rearranging in playing now is easy ... or if you file names are standard (with the track number first) you might be able to sort on file name from a view.

Depending on the state of the filenames, you could also use the tool "fill properties from file name"; probably not worth it unless you have lots of files to redo.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 12:31:59 pm »

filling track # from list seems to not replicate the crash!   so far at least.

i've been using counter() because i'm also fixing any other tagging errors i find (and adding the new date (release) tag as i go), so i'm in the tagging action window anyways.  it does seem odd that i can crash MC reliably by using counter() in the tag action window, this is still a bug one way or the other.

it does bring me to a feature wish...that we could drag-reorder tracks from within an album view (really any view would be nice).  this can only be done dragging from an album view into a new window...i've been using now playing because it's easy and it's already in a split view since i'm listening to music while tagging anyways.

i'm going back pretty deep into the library (200,000+ tracks) since anything i've put in since MC17 is tagged pretty good already!

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 12:48:46 pm »

filling track # from list seems to not replicate the crash!   so far at least.

i've been using counter() because i'm also fixing any other tagging errors i find (and adding the new date (release) tag as i go), so i'm in the tagging action window anyways.  it does seem odd that i can crash MC reliably by using counter() in the tag action window, this is still a bug one way or the other.
well counter () exists for a reason ... I'd use it in a pane view and not in a smartlist, unless you know what you are doing ... without seeing your SL, I can crash it at will too, that doesn't mean its a bug, it means its not supposed tyo be used that way (eg contiguous tracks that the SL is hiding?) anyways if possible ... I'd recommend tagging really messed up files (eg. files that don't have track numbers, track names, artist, and album in the or in the path.). Artist, Album (maybe Album artist too) first. Then disc number if multiple cds. reset the maintenance view (rather than a smartlist). Then do the track numbers. Expression language is powerful stuff, and overrides the UI, so use with caution  ;)

Then there are a number of ways to  correct the track numbers. Probably be a good idea to rename the files/paths once the metadata is ok. Whether or not you are in the tag window, the last x number of actions will be easily accessible from right clicking the files (the x being the number of actions that you can define in options.

But then again everyone has his own workflow, as long as it comes out in the end, that's whats important  8)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 12:57:58 pm »

you're misunderstanding Arindelle

my SL is just looking for an (incomplete album) designation.  i then click the expand arrow on the album in question (taking me to a pane view of the album), and get into the tagging window to see what problems it has that may be the source of the error (usually track # as most of my artist / album info is there).  i'm far from an expert LOL but also far from a noob in both maintenance views and expression language

tl;dr   i'm dragging the files into the correct order (from a smartlist into the now playing pane), and typing =counter() into the track # field.  when this crashes, it is indeed a bug!

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 04:57:45 am »

you're misunderstanding Arindelle

:D yep, I do do that a lot, sorry

Duplicated exactly your workflow and well I can't get it to crash, but (in version21 from a client PC) it does not fill in the track numbers at all -- actually what it is doing for me is emptying the track field -- meaning erasing them.  Luckily the fill tracks from list order works perfectly

So yes it seems like a bug indeed. Thanks for the info Ferday

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 10:03:31 am »

thank you for your help as always!

So far I've done ~200 using fill track # from list and no crashes.  I have found a few other hiccups during the process but I'll test if they're reproducible first

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 06:14:04 pm »

I use Counter() within Playlists all the time (manually dragging them up and down), and within Playing Now.  That's generally my method to fix things like that:

1. Find an album (or, more commonly for me, TV Show episodes) that have messed up [Track #] or [Episode] tags.
2. Play one of them, so the Playing Now list shows only those files I want to fix.
3. Use one of my Links to open up an online database where I can look up the proper order and put it on the other monitor (or half of the screen if I'm slumming it on my laptop).
4. Drag-drop them up and down into the order they should be in.
5. Fill with Counter().

I don't think I've ever tried it with a Smartlist.  Wouldn't have ever occurred to me to try.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 10:55:59 am »

I use Counter() within Playlists all the time (manually dragging them up and down), and within Playing Now.  That's generally my method to fix things like that:

1. Find an album (or, more commonly for me, TV Show episodes) that have messed up [Track #] or [Episode] tags.
2. Play one of them, so the Playing Now list shows only those files I want to fix.
3. Use one of my Links to open up an online database where I can look up the proper order and put it on the other monitor (or half of the screen if I'm slumming it on my laptop).
4. Drag-drop them up and down into the order they should be in.
5. Fill with Counter().

I don't think I've ever tried it with a Smartlist.  Wouldn't have ever occurred to me to try.

Performing these EXACT steps is what is crashing MC21 reliably
If I right click and "fill track by list order" it doesn't crash. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 09:04:03 am »

I'll test it.  I haven't moved any production systems to MC21 yet.

You'd said "smartlists" before. I've never done it with a smartlist, only with Playing Now and occasionally a manual Playlist.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up