INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fresh Install on Win10 Fails to Load JRtools  (Read 3959 times)

jmacey

• Recent member
Fresh Install on Win10 Fails to Load JRtools
« on: August 06, 2015, 10:22:18 am »

Just did an upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and first JRiver would not start and complained about "wrong operating system version, please re-install". Uninstalled JRiver 20, tried to reinstall 20, and now 21, but keep getting the same error about "Failed to load jrtools.dll". All JRiver folders were also removed prior to trying to reinstall.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Fresh Install on Win10 Fails to Load JRtools
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 10:52:34 am »

Have you tried this ..

a) if version 20 no longer exists on the machine; restore the last version 20 backup file

or

b) if version 20 still exists (normal upgrade procedure) -- go to options and in Start-Up make sure nothing is being loaded. Reboot windows, run (or install then run) version 21. Make sure no client PCs are active .... upgrade the "server PC" first. The tools error on my machines at least is often linked to media server being loaded (different versions or two at once etc.)

Sorry can't check with Windows10 yet ...

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 11:03:01 am »

it is normal for JRiver program to complain about the wrong operating system - when you change the operating system. A reinstall of MC 20 or upgrade to MC21 is all that is usually needed. I've done four Win10 installs with MC21 and all have gone well.

I don't know what happened to make JRtools unhappy - I'm just commenting that the "wrong OS" message is normal.

Also be sure to "run as Administrator" at least once after the fresh install (just right click on MC icon and choose run as administrator).

jmacey

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 12:15:56 pm »

Yes I got past the "wrong OS" warning by uninstalling MC. But now I am unable to reinstall either 20 or 21 with the same error about jrtools.dll

Screenshot of error is attached

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 12:30:16 pm »

Yes I got past the "wrong OS" warning by uninstalling MC. But now I am unable to reinstall either 20 or 21 with the same error about jrtools.dll
that means its already running in my experience. Go to task manager services and shut down all JRiver processes. This must mean that on windwows startup you are booting mediaserver. You might have to use an external program to stop the start-up process, its probably remained in the registry  :-[  (unless you did a clean install of Win 10?) ... Windows 10 + first versions of JRiver .. hmm sounds like a bug .. with Win 10 lol

jmacey

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 12:40:39 pm »

Oops, user error. I assumed I was running the installer as administrator. After right clicking and "run as administrator" it installed without the error. Thanks for the suggestions/help. :)

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 12:51:35 pm »

sure glad you're sorted  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up