INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharing metadata  (Read 2799 times)

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
Sharing metadata
« on: August 07, 2015, 08:08:29 am »

If I wanted to share a list of basic metadata about my music collection (artist, album title, song titles, etc) with a friend in another city EITHER ELECTRONICALLY or via PRINT OUT (Second Choice), what's the best, fastest way to do that?  He is not yet using MC and would like me to send him the CD's he selects from the metadata I share.

Thanks!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sharing metadata
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 09:09:07 am »

I think you can select the files you want to show him from a view.  Then edit > copy.  Then go to a text editor or spread sheet and edit > paste.  I'm on the Mac version and that doesn't work, but I think it's supported on the windows version.

Otherwise, you can definitely make a smartlist that includes your whole library (or whatever portion you want to show him).  Then do File > Export Playlist.  If you export it as a CSV (comma separated values) you should then be able to import that into excel or another spreadsheet.  A tip:  If you limit your view to only show the information you want (like Artist, Album, etc) then tell it to use "only visible fields", then it will make the export smaller, and not include lots of other information that you might not want like filename, genre, file size, bit rate, etc, etc.

Good luck,

Brian.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 11:01:07 am »

you can ctrl-C and ctrl-V from MOST views into excel (you can of course paste into word or notepad but the formatting is impossible to deal with).  this does not seem to work with the graphic views (i.e. the stock album view)

you can also "export playlist" on ANY view, you don't need to make an actual smartlist.  then choose which format (.csv will get you an excel).  i'd recommend making a new view that shows the whole library, but only very few fields (i.e. album, artist, name, etc.) so your .csv isn't 20+ columns wide.  if you output to .html, it will bring up your webpage that is formatted basically like an excel sheet...

warning:  i haven't been able to easily export one that just lists each album once (it lists each song in each album, which you may want).  of course, you could probably do this with a smartlist by listing only one album (or other ltem) but i prefer working in Excel where it's mega easy to remove duplicates in the artist column

also:  it will export a little more than what you think (or what you tell it too), which is why i recommend the .csv output so you can change things later

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 01:25:23 pm »

Ferday,  Thank you VERY MUCH for your reply.  I'd like to ask you to "dumb it down" an extra notch for me and give me some instructions that are step-by-step.

I am running MC on a dedicated PC that does not currently have Office on it.  However, tonight or tomorrow morning I will purchase and download Office in order to take advantage of your advice.  In my work life I seldom use EXCEL, although from what you say I may be able to figure that part out.

To be clear, I would just like to email a list of album titles, artist names and (maybe) genres for every album in my library.  Cover art would be a nice extra, although my friend is more than willing to look that up on the internet if needed, as he goes through the list.  He is not yet using a digital system and merely wants to select some CDs for me to send him.  So in other words, I need to send him only a few elements of metadata for each album; adding song titles might be fine, but not necessary. I am NOT looking to send my friend music files -- just a few facts about each album.

I have never created a PLAYLIST or SMARTLIST, so again, I am starting from zero experience there as well and would appreciate your guidance.

Thank you,
Wayne D.  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 01:40:02 pm »

Wayne,
The best way to learn is to try things.  It's also not a good idea to post your email address (attracts spam robots) or phone number.  I removed them.

ctlr-c and ctrl-v are the keyboard shortcuts for copy and paste.  You will need to select some tracks first.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 08:52:40 am »

I am running MC on a dedicated PC that does not currently have Office on it.  However, tonight or tomorrow morning I will purchase and download Office in order to take advantage of your advice.  In my work life I seldom use EXCEL, although from what you say I may be able to figure that part out.

Just another friendly advice: Microsoft Office is not something you just purchase on a whim, and certainly not motivated by this use only. You will find it a bit too costly for that. If a spreadsheet is indeed what you need, I would try LibreOffice first. It's free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up