INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade from MC 19 to MC 20 in different computers  (Read 1762 times)

JOTAELE

Upgrade from MC 19 to MC 20 in different computers
« on: August 11, 2015, 09:03:40 pm »

I have MC 19 in my PC and MC 20 in my laptop. I tried to upgrade the PC version with the restore key from MC 20 and I am told that it is not valid for upgrade and that I need to purchase an upgrade. I already bought the 19 (PC) and the 20 versions (laptop) at full price, so I do not know why I have to pay to upgrade version 19 in the PC. Can anyone help me?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Upgrade from MC 19 to MC 20 in different computers
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 09:49:38 pm »

You do not have to pay for Media Center versions per computer. If you own more than one computer, you can use the same license for it (within reason), as long as they're all on the same OS (or you buy a Master License which works on Windows, Mac, and Linux).

The Installation Key (MJR file) used to apply your license to a copy of Media Center expires after 14 days. Assuming that has elapsed since you originally purchased and installed the copy of MC20 on your Laptop, you will need to generate a new one, which is called a "Restore".

More information on restoring your license can be found here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JOTAELE

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 10:35:14 pm »

Thanks for your answer Glynor. Unfortunately I already tried that. I have version 20 in my laptop since June 2014 and version 19 in my PC for about 2 years. I did not realize that I could just upgrade from 19 to 20 in different computers and I paid full price for each. Now, when I finally tried to upgrade version 19 in the PC I installed version 20 but when I used the restore number generated by version 20, the answer was that my version 19 can not be upgraded with my current registration and that I need to purchase an upgrade. I still have 6 more downloads available for version 20. What do I do?
Thanks in advance.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 11:10:48 pm »

I think you're a bit confused by the process.

To upgrade the machine you have MC19 on, you must download and install MC20. The license doesn't do that, and MC19 will never do it. You have to. Download the latest version here and install it:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99073.0

Then, you can use the MC20 registration code you got inside of MC20 on that machine, and it will install the license. You cannot use a MC20 license in MC19 to make it "upgrade you". In fact, since you probably used up a few of your restores already, you were probably mailed a bunch of MJR files by JRiver. Just get one of those out of your email, and double-click it (again, after you've installed MC20 on that machine and opened it) and it will install the license there for you (without requiring another restore).

Don't worry about using up all of your Restores. They can be reset. It is not a download limit.

Please read through the article I linked above carefully. It makes the process pretty clear.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JOTAELE

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 12:23:21 am »

Thanks for your instructions. It turns out that I was using the MC19 registration code, not the MC20, therefore failure.
I got it done right this time.
Take care.
Pages: [1]   Go Up