INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: upgrade from 20 to 21  (Read 3084 times)

whatkind

upgrade from 20 to 21
« on: August 12, 2015, 03:02:47 am »

i'm still using mc20, but now would like to install to experience it.
is there no problem if i install 21 on top of 20 for upgrade?
or should i install 21 after uninstalling 20?

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re: upgrade from 20 to 21
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 03:40:06 am »

There is no problem in installing MC21 on top of MC20. During the setup process MC21 will find the older installation and import its settings and Library. You are able to have MC20 and MC21 installed side by side and use both of them. Running both versions at the same time is possible but not recommended.

It is also save to uninstall MC20 before installing MC21. But be sure to backup your library before doing so. You will also backup your settings during the library backup so it is easy to
  • reinstall MC20 later keeping your current library and settings
  • to install MC21 and using the MC20 backup to make MC21 use your current library and settings

The only thing you have to backup manually are custom skins (if you have any beside the stock skins which are still part of MC21) and plugins (if you installed them manually eg. from JRiver plugin site).

Sidenotes:
Uninstalling any version of MC doesn't touch your media files and backing up your library using MC will not include your Media Files. After (re)installing MC or restoring a Backup all Thumbnails have to be recreated.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 03:43:11 am »

Second that.

I have MC19/20/21 on the same Windows computer. Started using 21 last week, and it works perfectly (music, movies, images, I don't do TV so I wouldn't know).

Looking forward to the MC21 development during the coming months!

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 04:10:09 am »

You can manually start a backup using

File -> Library -> Library Backup

It will backup your Library and your settings.

If you are at same time going to restore your backup you are able to choose, if you want to either restore your library or your settings. Of course you also can restore both of them at once, too ;)

You are also right with your suggestion to keep that given folder. But it only keeps your library, not your settings (as you already knew ;)). But it may be easier to handle the single zip file created by MC as a backup container than fiddling around with a folder structure.

MC also offers automatic backups (including library and settings), just in case you once need them. If you wanna find those automatic backups, have a look here: Tools > Options... > File Location > Program Files > Library Backups.
Pages: [1]   Go Up