INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Every time - random music style?  (Read 2502 times)

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
Every time - random music style?
« on: August 29, 2015, 04:24:12 pm »

Hi all,

I am not especially good with expression language, so I seek advice from someone who is better than me at it.

I have recently finished assigning styles (sub-genres, whatever) to all songs in my music library (took me 6 days :o). I put them in the ''keywords'' field.

Now what I would like to do is to create a smartlist that would return all songs belonging to any single random style (random keyword). For example: I click on that smartlist and it lists all blues-rock songs, than I hit refresh button and it shows all desert rock songs, do it again - psychedelic rock, etc. Is it doable?

Thanks

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Every time - random music style?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 05:31:04 pm »

this is interesting.  i've been testing a bunch of things but no luck so far...not sure it's possible.  hopefully someone will chime in (blgentry?) but i'll keep testing

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 08:10:49 pm »

I've got an expression that will do what you're looking for I think.  Use the import/export button on the SmartList editor and paste this in:

Code: [Select]
-[Keywords]=[] ~limit=1,-1,[keywords]
The only unexpected behavior is that this matches on combinations of keywords as well as single keywords.  So if you have 3 keywords set for some songs, sometimes this random list is going to show just those three keywords and all the songs that match.  It's hard to concisely say what I mean here.  Try it and refresh a couple of times see if it works the way you want it to.

Brian.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 09:00:44 pm »

Ahh, [].  I kept trying [random]

Thanks man I'll test, this could be a fun list generator

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 03:57:09 am »

I've got an expression that will do what you're looking for I think.  Use the import/export button on the SmartList editor and paste this in:
Code: [Select]
-[Keywords]=[] ~limit=1,-1,[keywords]

Thanks, blgentry. This is not exactly waht I want, but it's close and it serves the purpose.

The only unexpected behavior is that this matches on combinations of keywords as well as single keywords.  So if you have 3 keywords set for some songs, sometimes this random list is going to show just those three keywords and all the songs that match.  It's hard to concisely say what I mean here.  Try it and refresh a couple of times see if it works the way you want it to.

Yeah, I noticed. For example some of songs that are tagged ''blues-rock'' are also tagged ''punk-blues'' and this smartlist will only show either blues-rock only or blues-rock+punk-blues, but never all of them. Also from time to time it will return exact same combination twice in a row and then again in a few steps.

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 08:21:12 am »

I thought I would add to this topic.

Until recently I had exclusively used smartlists to listen to music. But for the last few days I have been gradually switching to Library Views.

So I discovered that what I wanted to achieve can be done via a library view scheme. Just edit ''keywords'' and set sorting to random. This way styles themselves get shuffled and not songs like in the case of smartlists. Also it doesn't separate songs tagged with one style from songs tagged by multiple styles - just like I initially wanted :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up