INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV programs only partially recording  (Read 16985 times)

wla2000

• Recent member
TV programs only partially recording
« on: August 13, 2015, 07:42:16 pm »

I have JRiver set up to record the NBC Nightly News every day at 6:30 PM ET.  The first day after I set up my subscription, the program recorded in full, plus 3 minutes before and 3 minutes after.  The next two days (yesterday and today) the program started recording, but yesterday's episode only recorded for six minutes, and today's recording was just one minute.  Of course I want the whole program to record!

Here are some details about my system:
  • Windows 8.1
  • JRiver MC version 20.0.131
  • Windows Media Center turned off
  • 633 GB free on E: drive
  • folder for recording tv shows: "E:\Video\JRiver\TV Recording"

I have turned logging on within JRiver Media Center, but am concerned because it appears the only location for the log is in the %APPDATA% directory on the C: drive.  My C drive is limited in space (256 GB SSD, 100 GB free) so I hope it doesn't fill up. 

If anybody has a solution for me that doesn't require the log, please post it here.  Otherwise I'll post a link to the zipped log file tomorrow (unless my C: drive fills up!).

I am getting error messages in the Windows System log about the time of the scheduled recording.  I got "A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Windows Media Center Receiver Service service to connect." from the Service Control Manager, twice at 6:34:53 PM, immediately followed each time by

Code: [Select]
DCOM got error "1053" attempting to start the service ehRecvr with arguments "-Service" in order to run the server:
{F4396DC6-E851-4D3A-8D01-34E6949F3500}

The above was from DistributedCOM.

The messages where curious because the Windows Media Center Receiver Service is present in my Services list, but not running and marked as Manual startup.  And ehRecvr doesn't appear anywhere in my Task Manager "details" list.

I have an EPG from Schedules Direct which is downloaded each day using mc2xml and imported into JRiver automatically.  The program grid shows clearly that the program is 30 minutes long, so I would expect the recording process to "know" to record for 30 minutes, plus the three-minute buffers at each end.

If any further details about my setup are needed, please reply!
Please help!

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: TV programs only partially recording
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 12:18:15 am »

Log files are typically saved to your desktop. See the top of the TV board for the sticky detailing logging. The last couple that I've done amounted to 5 MB, so you shouldn't fill your HDD.

What are you using for a tv tuner?
Check that it's using the latest drivers. Take a peek at the OEM website for guidance.

If you've correctly configured your tuner, then an incomplete recording job could be due to a loss of signal (e.g. bad cable, bad plug, loose plug, faulty antenna, etc). I'm guessing the E: drive is a local HDD. If it's a with mapped network drive, the problem could indicate a network problem. Same goes for a network tuner (if that's what you're working with).

Also check that there's nothing odd with the pre- and post- recording time allowances. If these have weirdly defaulted to -ve values, then it could explain a shortened time frame.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 12:38:37 am »

Tick the box "Option/Theatre View/Behaviour/Disable Windows Media Center" and see if that makes a difference.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 12:42:27 am »

Log files are typically saved to your desktop. See the top of the TV board for the sticky detailing logging. The last couple that I've done amounted to 5 MB, so you shouldn't fill your HDD.

Check that it's using the latest drivers. Take a peek at the OEM website for guidance.

If you've correctly configured your tuner, then an incomplete recording job could be due to a loss of signal (e.g. bad cable, bad plug, loose plug, faulty antenna, etc). I'm guessing the E: drive is a local HDD. If it's a with mapped network drive, the problem could indicate a network problem. Same goes for a network tuner (if that's what you're working with).

Also check that there's nothing odd with the pre- and post- recording time allowances. If these have weirdly defaulted to -ve values, then it could explain a shortened time frame.

Also, you might want to check this thread for guidance on self diagnostics of your signal quality:
Signal Strength - what do numbers mean?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 08:28:28 am »

ehRecvr is a component of Windows Media Center. See this brief explanation http://www.iutools.com/knowledge/kb36/

I don't know if JRiver MC uses any of the WMC components (Yaobing could answer that). But I don't have WMC installed and I don't have ehRecvr on my system, so I don't think it is needed - and is probably the cause of your trouble.

If you plan to stick with JRiver you could completely remove WMC (go to "Control Panel >Programs & Features >Turn Windows Features On or Off"). Completely removing WMC (along with ehRecvr) may fix this problem.

But first ---
Try running "SCF /SCANNOW" from an elevated command prompt to see if there are any system file errors.. The SFC command scans the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

See this link for more info on SCF http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/3047-sfc-scannow-command-run-windows-8-a.html

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 01:11:44 pm »

Thank you for your reply.  I have an HDHR3-U5 dual tuner from HDHomeRun.  My HDHomeRun app on my phone shows a signal strength for the NBC station at this moment of 84, and SNR and Sym quality of 88 and 100, respectively.  The data rate is 19.394 Mbps.  Channel 4 is a very strong channel, and almost always comes in clearly.

I couldn't see how to verify that I'm using the latest "drivers", but I did find the latest "firmware" at Silicon Dust's website and downloaded it and uploaded it to my tuner.  That may or may not have been necessary, since I didn't know what firmware was already there.

I also confirmed that the version of my HDHomeRun setup utility is the latest (version 20150615).

I don't think that I have a bad cable, plug, antenna, etc., because I can watch live programming using JRiver or the HDHomeRun viewer with no problems.

The E: drive is a local HDD.  The tuner, as indicated above, is a network tuner, but it appears to be very accessible.

I confirmed that the pre- and post time allowances are both positive numbers.

Finally while checking the HDHomeRun software I saw two configuration options that looked questionable, and I changed them.  One is "Windows Media Center background channel scan" on the Advanced tab.  I unchecked that since I'm no longer using WMC.  And I changed the "BDA Compatibility Mode" to "J River Media Center" on the Configuration tab.  

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 01:14:46 pm »

Tick the box "Option/Theatre View/Behaviour/Disable Windows Media Center" and see if that makes a difference.

As a result of your suggestion, I checked that box.  I have a feeling it won't make a difference since I already disabled WMC and my "green button" appears to work ok (it shows JRiver on my screen).  Thanks for the suggestion.   Will check tonight if the Nightly News records!

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 01:46:40 pm »

ehRecvr is a component of Windows Media Center. See this brief explanation http://www.iutools.com/knowledge/kb36/

I don't know if JRiver MC uses any of the WMC components (Yaobing could answer that). But I don't have WMC installed and I don't have ehRecvr on my system, so I don't think it is needed - and is probably the cause of your trouble.

If you plan to stick with JRiver you could completely remove WMC (go to "Control Panel >Programs & Features >Turn Windows Features On or Off"). Completely removing WMC (along with ehRecvr) may fix this problem.

But first ---
Try running "SCF /SCANNOW" from an elevated command prompt to see if there are any system file errors.. The SFC command scans the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

See this link for more info on SCF http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/3047-sfc-scannow-command-run-windows-8-a.html

Interestingly, I checked just now in Control Panel->Programs & Features->Turn windows featuers on or off, and found that WMC was not unchecked.  I thought I had already done that!  That control panel required me to reboot, so I did that, and then ran "SFC /SCANNOW" (I think you may have transposed a couple characters there!), and it found no errors.

So with these changes (and the ones above), maybe I'll have a better recording experience tonight!

Thanks.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 08:00:53 am »

There are a lot of us with SiliconDust kit hooked up to MC. I've got the DVB-T option.

As long as you grant permission for HDHR to pass through your firewall during installation, you shouldn't have too much hassle.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 08:45:00 am »

I did that, and then ran "SFC /SCANNOW" (I think you may have transposed a couple characters there!), and it found no errors.

So with these changes (and the ones above), maybe I'll have a better recording experience tonight!

Thanks.

yes, it was SFC - I'm dyslectic I guess. Sorry about that. Glad you didn't find any errors. That rules out one thing.

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 08:47:34 am »

There are a lot of us with SiliconDust kit hooked up to MC. I've got the DVB-T option.

As long as you grant permission for HDHR to pass through your firewall during installation, you shouldn't have too much hassle.

What's the DVB-T option and how do I enable it?

I don't remember the HDHR installation process, it was over two years ago that I installed it (April 2013 according to Amazon). I'm sure I would have granted such access.  Also I had been using Windows Media Center ever since then, recording the Nightly News and a number of other broadcast programs.  I stopped using WMC for two reasons: 1) apparently Microsoft stopped providing the EPG several weeks ago, and 2) Microsoft will not include WMC in Windows 10.  I do want to upgrade to Windows 10, so I've been attempting to get JRiver to work for me.  

So I assume this firewall access is present, or WMC wouldn't have worked.  Also JRiver does work sporadically to record programs - some programs record in full, others just record a few minutes.  But is there way to verify the firewall access?  Are you talking about Windows firewall, or Norton Internet Security firewall?

Thanks.

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 09:05:56 am »

Well I had bad results recording the Nightly News last night.  It didn't record at all.  Here is a link to a zip file containing the log:  https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9F0488AD837B114C!1424&authkey=!AAOnGCaANBUxdPI&ithint=file%2czip. It covers a long period unfortunately, and it appears there are no DateTime values in the log so that makes it a little hard to read, in my opinion.  Yesterday's date was August 14, and I see no reference to "Aug 14" in the log with regard to the program.  There are references to "Aug 12" and "Aug 13" - I don't know what that signifies.

It may be useful for anybody who wants to try to help me to see my recording settings for this program.  I have copied them and pasted them into a Word document at the following link: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9F0488AD837B114C!1425&authkey=!AHnWIximqefo9r8&ithint=file%2cdocx.

I thought it might be interesting to show an excerpt from my mc2xml file.  This file was downloaded last night at 8:02 PM ET, and thus does not include yesterday's Nightly News entry, but it does include today's entry and entries for several days going forward. 
<programme start="20150815183000 -0400" stop="20150815190000 -0400" channel="I4.1.20359.schedulesdirect.org">
<title lang="en">NBC Nightly News</title>
<date>20150815</date>
<category lang="en">News</category>
<category lang="en">Series</category>
<episode-num system="dd_progid">EP00003061.1323</episode-num>
<video>
<aspect>16:9</aspect>
<quality>HDTV</quality>
</video>
<new />
<subtitles type="teletext" />
<rating system="VCHIP">
<value>TV-G</value>
</rating>
</programme>

I appreciate all the responses I've gotten so far and do hope I can resolve this.  I want to keep my cord cut and have been very happy with my antenna reception, but I really need time-shifting capability, to replace the lost WMC.

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 09:17:25 am »

One thing: There have been no references to Windows Media Center or ehRecvr in the Windows event logs since I successfully disabled WMC yesterday.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 09:17:54 am »

Where are you finding the mc2xml file?
That is not the recording parameters - its just the EPG data. But if it does not contain the "time" that the program is airing then I would think you would not see it in the Theater View "Guide".

Take a look at "C:\Users\computername\AppData\J River\ Media Center 21\Library\tvrecording.xml"  see if the program is listed there and if there is a recording time.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 09:23:32 am »

Your Log says your running MC20.0.131.  I thought you were on MC21 - if you are staying with MC20 upgrade to version .132 (the latest/last) which has a bunch of TV related fixes.
So if your getting good EPG data, you must have a paid subscription for Schedules Direct. yes?

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 09:43:28 am »

Where are you finding the mc2xml file?
That is not the recording parameters - its just the EPG data. But if it does not contain the "time" that the program is airing then I would think you would not see it in the Theater View "Guide".

Take a look at "C:\Users\computername\AppData\J River\ Media Center 21\Library\tvrecording.xml"  see if the program is listed there and if there is a recording time.

The mc2xml file location is specified in Tools->Options->Television->Load Program Guide->Add.  There I specified the executable to run (E:\users\username\Mc2Xml\mc2xml.exe -T username:password -o E:\users\username\Mc2Xml\xmltv.xml) and the data file to load (E:\users\username\Mc2Xml\xmltv.xml).  That file is the one I excerpted in my post above.  It contains the EPG, as you correctly state, and not the recording parameters.

The recording parameters were in the link to a Word document in my post.

Here is an excerpt from "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 20\Library\tvrecording.xml"
Rule ID="816173959" ParentID="0" Name="NBC Nightly News">
<Item Name="Subscription Search Time Mode">2</Item>
<Item Name="Extend After Milliseconds">180000</Item>
<Item Name="Type">4</Item>
<Item Name="Subscription Search Only New">0</Item>
<Item Name="Subscription Search Query">NBC Nightly News</Item>
<Item Name="Subscription Time Duration Milliseconds">1800000</Item>
<Item Name="Subscription Search Time Anchor">42227.7708333333357587</Item>
<Item Name="Subscription Search Exact Match">0</Item>
<Item Name="Cleanup Mode">Days</Item>
<Item Name="Subscription Channels">19910;-1</Item>
<Item Name="Subscription Search Fields To Compare">0</Item>
<Item Name="Cleanup Days">5</Item>
<Item Name="Extend Before Milliseconds">180000</Item>
<Item Name="Subscription Search All Fields">1</Item>
<Item Name="Apply Tags">(1:1)(1:0)</Item>
<Item Name="Priority">50</Item>
<Item Name="Subscription Search No Reruns">0</Item>
</Rule>

I don't actually see a "time" in there - at least not one that I can understand.  There is a "time anchor" - hopefully it is correct and corresponds to the recording parameters I posted in the Word document.

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 09:49:13 am »

Your Log says your running MC20.0.131.  I thought you were on MC21 - if you are staying with MC20 upgrade to version .132 (the latest/last) which has a bunch of TV related fixes.
So if your getting good EPG data, you must have a paid subscription for Schedules Direct. yes?
The log is correct.  Note in my first post above I stated I have MC20.0.131. 

I opted to use MC20 because it is an alleged stable release.  Do you recommend I upgrade to MC21, even though it is still Beta?  But before I do that I'll upgrade to MC20.0.132 as you suggest.

Yes I have a paid subscription to Schedules Direct (I got a two month subscription for six dollars to try it out).  It supposedly has accurate data.  Do you recommend some other source?

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 09:55:48 am »

I stopped using WMC for two reasons: 1) apparently Microsoft stopped providing the EPG several weeks ago, and 2) Microsoft will not include WMC in Windows 10.  I do want to upgrade to Windows 10, so I've been attempting to get JRiver to work for me.  

Update about my note above: "WMC stopped displaying the EPG..."  I saw this today: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3078428.  It seems to indicate that Microsoft is continuing to provide the EPG, but with some changes requiring reconfiguration of recordings.  I found that wasn't the case with my WMC: the whole EPG was blank, so there was nothing to record. 

So frustrated with Microsoft!

CountryBumkin

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 10:14:15 am »

Microsoft changed EPG data sources for its Windows Media Center product. JRiver and other programs where using the "Microsoft" data - but when Microsoft changed data sources (from Zap2it to Rovi) that "closed the back door" for everyone not using WMC. For MC21, JRiver bought access to Microsoft's EPG data. (PS. I don't know what deal JRiver made - just that only MC21 has "free" EPG data from Microsoft for its Users).

So if you wanted to keep using Microsoft EPG data in MC20 you would need a "paid subscription" to use "Schedules Direct" via the mc2xml. Schedules Direct is essentially the same data the MC21 is pulling. I think there may be some slight differences but I'm not sure what they are. I have a subscription to SD too, and I'm also using the MC21 free mc2xml epg data (comparing the two - but the differences are not obvious).

I do recommend MC21. You can wait until it is the "recommended version" or upgrade now. I suppose that depends on whether the fixes in MC21 solve your problem - or if you have something else going on.
Yes it's Beta but all the current versions are Beta until development ends. There are different levels of Beta too (Stable is probably the one you want. I like "Latest). Remember, MC20 is "Beta" up until version .132 where development ended. I think that Beta is a bad term - it's more accurate (IMO) to say "under development". That means it's kept current as the world around it changes, and fixes/improvements are added. Once development stops, anything changes outside the program can/will break MC then your stuck (like every time YouTube changes its API or the EPG source change).

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 12:54:51 pm »

I do recommend MC21. You can wait until it is the "recommended version" or upgrade now. I suppose that depends on whether the fixes in MC21 solve your problem - or if you have something else going on.
I installed MC21.  It installs in a different directory from MC20, so I didn't uninstall MC20 yet.  I don't know if that was smart or not.  My existing EPG was displayed, but I'm interested in switching to the MS one JRIver paid for in MC21, so I chose the MC2XML option when loading the EPG, and disabled my Schedules Direct source (xmltv).  Here is what happens:

• I click on OK, with Run Selected Profiles Now checked, and a command window opens with mc2xml running.
  • It pops up the mc2xml 1.4 dialog with a -o zip code.  I change the zip code to my own zip code and click on OK.
  • The command window shows "connecting Microsoft.com" and then "Use Dialog for lineup selection".
  • A "lineup selection" dialog pops up and I select "Detroit OTA Antenna" and then click on OK.
  • Some text shows up in the command window - downloading data, stuff like that, and then the initial configuration dialog shows up again, with a -o in the zip code again.
  • I close that window (or enter the valid zip code again) a couple times, and I get a message saying "the guide data is not valid, or does not contain any program information".
  • I press OK and get the "loading guide data" list, where I associate TV channels with EPG channels (which I had already done with the SD source).
  • This dialog doesn't work, because apparently there is no EPG data.  If I try again, but choose xmltv and enter my Schedules Direct credentials, it works OK.

So for now I'll go with Schedules Direct, and see if MC21 solves my program recording issues.  But if it is feasible to use MS data instead of SD, I would be interested since it doesn't cost me extra.  Please advise! 

Thanks

CountryBumkin

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 01:20:38 pm »

It is okay to leave MC20 as is until you decide what your going to do.

In the TV setup the second or tired step has a place where you tell it the Country (USA) and your Postal Code. If you miss putting gin your postal code you get the "-o" in the mc2xml setup. It seesm like it keeps looking for the Postal Code in the MC program. It might be best to go back and put in the Postal Code. See this thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99215.0

In the mc2xml popup window you could select "Schedules Direct" or "Microsoft" (and a few other choices but don't bother with those). Since you already setup SD previously that choice is saved in the mc2xml.dat file.

If you want to try Microsoft epg data I can help with that - but since you already have Schedules Direct setup, lets leave it as is for now and see if this fixes your recording problem first.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 08:19:19 pm »

It is okay to leave MC20 as is until you decide what your going to do.

Just make sure that no part of MC20 is being started with Windows. If you had the MC20 Server starting with Windows, you will need to go back into MC20, set the start option to None, then reboot the PC and check that the MC20 Server isn't running using Task Manager.

If you did have the MC20 Server running, and the MC21 Client, that could have been messing with your EPG data collection. Not sure.

CountryBumkin, I thought the JRiver installed version of mc2xml was installed in a different place to the independently downloaded and installed version. Is that so?

If so, then the XMLTV data file is going to be in a different location. One needs to be sure they are looking at the correct version. Also, the original SD settings would have been in the original mc2xml installation, and not in the JRiver installed version. As noted elsewhere, I don't need mc2xml so haven't installed it, so can't check.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 07:22:40 am »

CountryBumkin, I thought the JRiver installed version of mc2xml was installed in a different place to the independently downloaded and installed version. Is that so?

If so, then the XMLTV data file is going to be in a different location. One needs to be sure they are looking at the correct version. Also, the original SD settings would have been in the original mc2xml installation, and not in the JRiver installed version. As noted elsewhere, I don't need mc2xml so haven't installed it, so can't check.

Yes, the file wla2000 was pointing at was from his previous "manually installed mc2xml" before MC21. That is not the file JRiver uses in MC21 as you noted. However, I'm not sure where the xmltv.xml file MC21 uses is stored. I couldn't find it searching by file name. I  suspect JRiver program changes the name or extension. It would be useful to know (see) this file to verify its contents for troubleshooting.

On the xmltv.dat file, there are two locations, they are: "....AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Plugins\mc2xml"  and "....AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Settings\mc2xml". In my  testing (switching between SD and Microsoft data), I would delete the dat file in Settings\mc2xml folder to clear the saved info in the "mc2xml" program setup.

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 08:23:26 am »

Just make sure that no part of MC20 is being started with Windows. If you had the MC20 Server starting with Windows, you will need to go back into MC20, set the start option to None, then reboot the PC and check that the MC20 Server isn't running using Task Manager.

Apparently when I installed MC21 it automatically disabled the Windows startup of MC20.  I just went into the MC20 Startup options and can see that the Windows startup is disabled.  

However MC21 didn't stop the running MC20 service!  I just now stopped it manually (and I'll reboot in a moment just to be on the safe side).  Despite having both services running, the Nightly News did record last night, in full living color (and from beginning to end, plus buffers).

Before I break out the champagne to celebrate the resolution of my issue, I'll wait to see if the Nightly News records tonight, and also Meet The Press later this morning.

Thanks for suggesting I look at the old and new services.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 08:57:48 am »

Woo Hoo!  ;D

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 09:08:06 am »

In the TV setup the second or tired step has a place where you tell it the Country (USA) and your Postal Code. If you miss putting gin your postal code you get the "-o" in the mc2xml setup. It seesm like it keeps looking for the Postal Code in the MC program. It might be best to go back and put in the Postal Code. See this thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99215.0

In the mc2xml popup window you could select "Schedules Direct" or "Microsoft" (and a few other choices but don't bother with those). Since you already setup SD previously that choice is saved in the mc2xml.dat file.

If you want to try Microsoft epg data I can help with that - but since you already have Schedules Direct setup, lets leave it as is for now and see if this fixes your recording problem first.

Mr. Bumkin: I didn't read all the way to the end of your comment so I went ahead and replaced SD with MS now rather than later.  Initially I tried putting the zip code in the Tools->Options->Television->Zip Code field, but that didn't fix the -o problem in the parameters dialog.  So I checked Clean Up Existing Television Data in Tools->Options->Television->Setup and ran the TV setup again from scratch, including the zip code and re-scanning all my channels (and re-matching them).  It worked, so I got EPG data as you described from MS.

A further cautionary note:  Earlier this morning I went into MC20 to see if the Windows Startup options were turned off (they were), and then closed MC20 and went back into MC21.  I saw that the Zip Code was cleared and the EPG load options were set as in MC20.  So I'm thinking having both versions might not be so good!  So just now I uninstalled MC20 (leaving registry entries and MC files alone), went back into MC21, and the Zip code was back, and the EPG load options.  

CountryBumkin

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 10:16:00 am »

Glad you got it worked out.

There is an option to run "multiple instances at one time". It's at Tools>options>General>Advanced.

I don't use this, but I wonder if not having the box checked and then running MC20 and MC21 (multiple instances at the same time) at the same time would cause issues like you describe.

I think it would be easier to find this check box if it were located in the "Startup" section instead of "General>Advanced" section.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 08:09:57 pm »

Also when you started MC20, if it had Media Network set up then it would have started the MC20 Server in the background at the same time. When you closed MC20 it should have closed the MC20 Server, and I expect that it did, but I have noticed that it can take up to about 30 seconds on my HTPC for the Server component to close. Also, if the Server component is started with Windows, then closing MC won't close the Server component, as it stays running in the background to start TV recordings and serve MC Clients, along with running other background tasks.

So if you closed MC20 and then immediately opened MC21, it is possible that the MC20 Server was still running, which would give strange results, and could well have been the reason that you saw MC20 settings in MC21. i.e. That the Zip Code was cleared and the EPG load options were set as in MC20.

Just another cautionary note when moving between versions like that. Wait a minute between closing and opening a different version, or check that the previous Server component has closed in Task Manager.

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2015, 05:04:45 pm »

Well here's an update.  On August 16 my Nightly News recorded, and it recorded on the 17th, 18th, and 19th.  But yesterday (the 20th) it did not record.  I also have Late Night With Seth Meyers (a Tuesday through Friday daily program in the wee hours of the post-midnight morning) set up to record, and it recorded on the 18th, 19th, and 20th, but not this morning's program.  As far as I know nothing changed. 

To trouble-shoot this a little bit, I tried watching a live program, by selecting a current program in the EPG and clicking on Watch.  I got this message: "No television tuner is available to fulfill your request.  Please make sure you have a device that is not in use."

Then I looked at the list of devices (in Tools->Options->Television->Manage Devices, and I saw three things, which was surprising.  The first one was a "Bluetooth Hands-free Audio <long number> (analog)" device and the other two were my expected HD Homerun tuners.  I don't know why the bluetooth device suddenly showed up there.  I have no new bluetooth devices, and in any case none of them remotely qualify as a tv tuner (one is a speaker, one is a headphone, and one is a mobile phone - I don't know which of these is the one in the list). 

The "Manage Television Devices" dialog says the devices will be used in the order listed, so I moved the Bluetooth device to the bottom of the list, and then was able to play live TV.  I guess JRiver was trying to access TV programming from the bluetooth device?

My guess is that this is what blocked the recordings yesterday evening and early this morning.

Any ideas how to prevent non TV devices from appearing the list of TV tuners?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2015, 06:33:35 pm »

Any ideas how to prevent non TV devices from appearing the list of TV tuners?

Options/Television/Manage Devices/
Select the Bluetooth device
Configure
In Tuner Type select Disabled.

I haven't tested this, but it seems the logical choice.

Let us know if that solves this ongoing problem.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2015, 06:57:56 pm »

Thanks for providing more details.  It is possible that my recent device-arrival detection change caused non-TV tuner devices to be added to TV tuner list.  I will look into it next week.  In the meantime, do what RoderickGI suggested, by disabling the non-Tuner devices.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2015, 10:18:59 am »

Options/Television/Manage Devices/
Select the Bluetooth device
Configure
In Tuner Type select Disabled.
Roderick: Just moving the non-TV device down in the list seems to have helped, since my program did record.  However, what you suggest makes sense, and I have done that to prevent MC from using the device.  Thanks.

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2015, 10:23:10 am »

Thanks for providing more details.  It is possible that my recent device-arrival detection change caused non-TV tuner devices to be added to TV tuner list.  I will look into it next week.  In the meantime, do what RoderickGI suggested, by disabling the non-Tuner devices.
Yaobing: I'm fairly new to MC, so I'm not sure what happens when you make patches to the software, assuming that one is in order to prevent non-tuner devices from showing up.  Does MC automatically detect patches are available, or do I have to be on the lookout for patches?  Media center patches are somewhat new to me, since I had been using WMC for years and it hadn't seen any development since 2009!

Thanks for looking into this.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2015, 11:09:01 am »

You could read the wiki topic called Updates.

We don't use the term patch.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2015, 10:59:38 am »

Just to clarify a bit.  Not being able to record at all at a scheduled recording time and not recording the entire show (but being able to start recording) apparently are two issues.

Are you still getting partially recorded shows?  The only reason that I can think of for this kind of behavior is running out of disk space,  but you stated you have plenty of free space.  So this is a real puzzle.

Then I looked at the list of devices (in Tools->Options->Television->Manage Devices, and I saw three things, which was surprising.  The first one was a "Bluetooth Hands-free Audio <long number> (analog)" device and the other two were my expected HD Homerun tuners. 

Are you using your HDHomeRun tuners for analog or digital TV?  The Bluetooth device could interfere with the operation only if you watch analog TV channels since the Blietooth device was labelled "analog".

Also, since HDHomeRun tuners are network tuners, they are accessible from all computers on your network.  Is it possible that they were being used by other computers?  Or maybe on the same computer but another program (MC20 or third-party programs)?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2015, 06:25:54 pm »

Are you still getting partially recorded shows?  The only reason that I can think of for this kind of behavior is running out of disk space,  but you stated you have plenty of free space.  So this is a real puzzle.

If there are other programs running on the PC or another networked PC that also have recording schedules, or other processes that require a tuner such as trying to collect EPG data OTA, would it be possible that such a program could interrupt a MC recording by trying to use the tuner, and hence create partial recordings?

If so there could be one cause for both failed and partial recordings; Another instance of MC, or another program trying to use the tuners.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2015, 07:42:03 am »

If there are other programs running on the PC or another networked PC that also have recording schedules, or other processes that require a tuner such as trying to collect EPG data OTA, would it be possible that such a program could interrupt a MC recording by trying to use the tuner, and hence create partial recordings?

If so there could be one cause for both failed and partial recordings; Another instance of MC, or another program trying to use the tuners.

Very good point.  Thanks.

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2015, 09:36:17 pm »

Unfortunately my recording problem continues.  I thought it was resolved.  But on Saturday August 22, the Nightly News did not record.  It did record on Sunday, and then it did not record today, Monday.  Nothing has changed in between these events, and as far as I can tell no Windows event logs have any relevant information. 

I have posted my JRiver log, which has been accumulating since before Sunday at the following link:https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9F0488AD837B114C!1424&authkey=!AAOnGCaANBUxdPI&ithint=file%2czip

Any ideas?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2015, 09:42:07 am »

Does your computer go to sleep? If yes, go to Windows Power settings and try setting Sleep to Never (for testing).

Also at the end of the day before bedtime (when recordings are scheduled to happen that night) go to Television>TV Options>Advanced>Status and see if the Tuners are available.

These steps may help Yaobing pin-point the source of the problem.

lastly, saving Logs is good, but after a day or so, they become too large to upload and read easily (IMO). So when your not having a problem, go to Help>Logging and "reset the log" every so often. That will help keep the log smaller and make reading through it easier.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2015, 11:17:26 am »

Unfortunately my recording problem continues.  I thought it was resolved.  But on Saturday August 22, the Nightly News did not record.  It did record on Sunday, and then it did not record today, Monday.  Nothing has changed in between these events, and as far as I can tell no Windows event logs have any relevant information. 

I have posted my JRiver log, which has been accumulating since before Sunday at the following link:https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9F0488AD837B114C!1424&authkey=!AAOnGCaANBUxdPI&ithint=file%2czip

Any ideas?

Your log file does not cover events up to August 22 and 23.  It is an old file covering only events in August 14, from 2:22 pm to 10:12 pm.  If you have a more updated file, please upload it.  Thanks.

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2015, 05:12:39 pm »

Your log file does not cover events up to August 22 and 23.  It is an old file covering only events in August 14, from 2:22 pm to 10:12 pm.  If you have a more updated file, please upload it.  Thanks.
Oops.  I did post the wrong file.  Here is a better one: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9F0488AD837B114C!1440&authkey=!AI__lrJVVmyWOnU&ithint=file%2czip

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2015, 05:20:08 pm »

Does your computer go to sleep? If yes, go to Windows Power settings and try setting Sleep to Never (for testing).

Also at the end of the day before bedtime (when recordings are scheduled to happen that night) go to Television>TV Options>Advanced>Status and see if the Tuners are available.

These steps may help Yaobing pin-point the source of the problem.

lastly, saving Logs is good, but after a day or so, they become too large to upload and read easily (IMO). So when your not having a problem, go to Help>Logging and "reset the log" every so often. That will help keep the log smaller and make reading through it easier.
I have my computer set never to go to sleep, but I do have the screen turn off after 30 minutes.

I just looked at the "status" as you described, in advance of the Nightly News recording that I expect to start in 15 minutes from now.  It shows devices 0 and 1 (both Silicondust HDHomeRun tuners) as "idle" and device 2 (that silly bluetooth device) as "disabled".

But I also attempted to watch a current TV program in J River MC, and got the "No television tuner is available to fulfill your request" message.

I tried to watch a current program using HDHomeRun's viewer, and it worked fine.  The tuner is there and not especially "busy", but I can't watch.  That tells me the news is likely not going to record at 6:30...

Note that I also expected a recording early this morning (Late Night with Seth Meyers), and it didn't show up, presumably because no tuner was available.

I did clear my logs just now and restarted them.

Ideas?

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2015, 05:56:39 pm »

As predicted the Nightly News didn't record this evening.  I have posted the log here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9F0488AD837B114C!1441&authkey=!ALCi0mtgi5WcilA&ithint=file%2czip

I tried closing the MC user interface, then stopping the J River MC 21 service, and then started it up again.  I opened the UI, and tried to watch a live TV program.  It wouldn't let me because of the tv tuner issue.

Then I rebooted the computer, and was able to watch live TV.  In fact, since the Nightly News was still being broadcast, it started recording automatically.

What's causing these tuners not to be accessible to J River, yet they are perfectly functional otherwise (with WMC when I used to use WMC, or with HDHomeRun's viewer application).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2015, 01:12:36 am »

Maybe another program has the tuner locked or the tuner has an issue.

We prefer "JRiver" to "J River", please.  It works better for searches so we changed the name a few years ago.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2015, 01:30:33 am »

I have my computer set never to go to sleep, but I do have the screen turn off after 30 minutes.
If you have MC set to run Media Server on Windows start, you can set your computer to sleep and MC will wake up and record, then sleep again.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2015, 03:47:31 pm »

Your log file named log1 contains indication that recording did not succeed, but there was not enough info logged to tell me why.  I have added more logging to the program.  Hopefully with a new build we will be able to get more information.

Your log file named log2 contains an entry that indicates a successful recording.  No error found.  For the future, please use Help > Logging... > Report Problem... button to collect log files.  That way logs for both the current session and previous session are collected.  Also do it as soon as you discover a problem, without restart of MC if possible.

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2015, 08:23:35 pm »

If you have MC set to run Media Server on Windows start, you can set your computer to sleep and MC will wake up and record, then sleep again.
I don't let my computer sleep because I have a little web server running there.  But thanks for the information.

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2015, 08:26:26 pm »

Your log file named log1 contains indication that recording did not succeed, but there was not enough info logged to tell me why.  I have added more logging to the program.  Hopefully with a new build we will be able to get more information.

Your log file named log2 contains an entry that indicates a successful recording.  No error found.  For the future, please use Help > Logging... > Report Problem... button to collect log files.  That way logs for both the current session and previous session are collected.  Also do it as soon as you discover a problem, without restart of MC if possible.
I'll look forward to your new build.  The logs would make more sense to me if you put the date and time in the log (in a human-readable form), but that's just me.

Thanks for the information about "Report Problem...".  I didn't realize that would create a zip file and conveniently put it on the desktop. 

FYI, the Nightly News recorded OK today (Wednesday 8/26/15), and both tuner devices are showing as "idle" at the moment.

wla2000

• Recent member
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2015, 08:28:38 pm »

Maybe another program has the tuner locked or the tuner has an issue.

We prefer "JRiver" to "J River", please.  It works better for searches so we changed the name a few years ago.
Will do - JRiver it is. 

I'm doubtful the tuner has issues, because I can use it successfully with non-JRiver software.  It's certainly possible some other program has a lock on it.  If JRiver reports in the future that one or both of the tuners is locked, is there a way to tell what program is locking it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up