INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Not Recording Programs When Scheduled Windows 10 64 Bit  (Read 14345 times)

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck

Good Morning
I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 and I have the following issue:

1. Set a Program to Record (Does not Matter if TS or JTV Format).
2. Time to Record Comes yet the program does not record.
3. I Launch the Channel (Live TV View) and the screen is blank. Oddly though I can see the Signal Strength (70) and the Quality (100).
4. I Click Stop and then the Launch the Channel again and then the program displays and recording commences.

Is this something you've seen before? It seems it cannot initialize the tuner for some reason.

I have a log if needed.

System Details:

Windows 10 64Bit
2 x DVBSky T9580
Core i5-4460
8GB Ram
Onboard Graphics on ASUS H81M-E

I have a backup drive with Windows 7 on it - I may restore that if I cannot get it working soon.

Cheers

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver Not Recording Programs When Scheduled Windows 10 64 Bit
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 04:11:57 am »

Your signal quality is at the top of the class, so that's unlikely to be a problem I'd bet.

Please confirm that your tuner is running the latest drivers (sorry, this one is from Captain Obvious but has to be said). For the hell of it, install the latest drivers anyway in case the original install was corrupted.

As a daft user, I'd suggest as a first pass:
  • Back up your library
  • Uninstall MC
  • Reinstall MC
  • Reinstate your library

Make sure that MC and your firewall play nice. If not, set up am exception for MC if an auto request for permission doesn't pop up. If the layer happens give MC the all clear.

If that doesn't work, I'd holler for Yaobing and send him a log file.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 05:12:54 am »

Win10 x64 works fine - generally speaking. If this problem just happened when you upgraded to Win10 that would say something didn't upgrade correctly, in which case follow the reinstall steps astromo mentioned.

Does Live TV work okay other than the recording issue? Is the EPG data there - are all the channels all listed?

Also, if you go to "Television>TV Options>Advanced>Show Status" do the tuners show and say "idle"?

Did you try "right click on the MC21 icon and select "run as administrator" one time after installing Win10?

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 05:45:08 am »

@CountryBumkin

I did an upgrade to Windows 10 to get my system activated - then I did a fresh install from an ISO.

I did restore some of the settings from the previous Machine - i.e. Appdata folder etc which may have caused an issue.

I also updated from MC 20 to MC 21 as well but MC 20 was still installed.

EPG is fine.

I also reset all TV Settings and started again to see if this was the issue.

As you say all tuners show as IDLE when I look at the Status with the Program it is meant to be recording listed at the bottom:

@CountryBumkin & @astromo

OK so I have just:

1. Uninstalled MC 20 and MC 21 and deleted the C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\J River folder
2. Reinstalled MC 21 and Restored the Library
3. Alas the problem persisted.
4. Turned off Windows Firewall.
5. Launched MC 21 as Administrator.
6. Alas still no recording.
7. Launched channel - same black screen but this time Quality 100 and Strength 75!
8. Exited MC 21 and uninstalled the DVBSky Devices (including Drivers) from Device Manager. I already had the latest drivers from here:

http://www.dvbsky.net/Support_win.html

9. Alas no luck there either - but as before same process works - display Live TV twice and then it displays and starts recording

I cry

I do have a USB DVB-T2 Device - I may try that later to see if I have any luck.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 07:14:53 am »

Run a log and get Yaobing to take a look.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 09:39:14 am »

Ya - Will do.

Thanks for the suggestions - of course if I find the cause I will share.

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 12:09:20 pm »

Tried a TBS DVB-T2 USB Tuner I had. Signal now 91 but alas recording still not triggering.

:(

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 12:19:17 pm »

check the security and sharing permissions of the folder where your recordings are saved. I don't know if I'm on to anything or not, but it wouldn't hurt to take a look.

EDITED for brevity.

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 05:51:03 am »

Recreated the folder under the logged in user but no dice :(

I am now using another product NextPVR for the recording (on my always on Headless PC) and Launching this as a client from the JRiver software.

It works as I want it to now at least although I did need to write a complex AHK Script to achieve the launch.

Cheers

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 11:05:19 am »

Just to make sure it's not a simple thing, do you have Media Server set to run on Windows startup?  That's the thing that runs Media Center so it'll be around to record television.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 02:18:55 am »

Hi. Unfortunately that didn't make a difference either.

Don't worry too much about it - I at least have the recording working elsewhere for now.

Windows 10 is not exactly mature yet an it could be anything.

imcardle

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 03:20:42 am »

I've noticed the very same issue on Windows 7 - but I'm a new user and only just starting out with JRiver MC, having come across from the Windows Media Center world.

I'll try the suggestions in this thread and see if any of them help.
My hardware:  Shuttle xPC SZ68R5 case, Core i7-2700K, 8GB, TBS6284 PCIe quad tuner (DVB-T2), Intel HD3000 graphics, Samsung TV (HDMI), Aeotec Z-Stick
My software:  Windows 10 Home (x64), J River MC 22.0.97, Engen 1.0.55
My location:  United Kingdom

Piblokto

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 04:16:51 pm »

I have found this problem as well.

While investigating earlier in the week I thought that it may be related to the missing EPG issue that arose here in the UK in the last few days and so rescanned channels having changed to mc2xml which gave me EPG information again OK but still won't record to schedule.

I find that it will record if I then try to watch the programme at the same time - it creates a recording in the folder set for time-shifting files but not in the recordings folder.  If I then view the list of recordings it shows the combined contents of both folders (the older recordings are retained ones made with MC20).

Viewing the list of Recording Rules includes the missing programmes and shows their rules as having expired.

Win 7 x64
MC 21.0.3

MikeH935

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 04:27:57 am »

Hi Folks. I'm getting exactly the same problem. Windows 10 64 bit. My story is as per Piblokto.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 05:01:24 am »

I find that it will record if I then try to watch the programme at the same time - it creates a recording in the folder set for time-shifting files but not in the recordings folder.  If I then view the list of recordings it shows the combined contents of both folders (the older recordings are retained ones made with MC20).

Viewing the list of Recording Rules includes the missing programmes and shows their rules as having expired.

Win 7 x64
MC 21.0.3

First upgrade to the "latest" version - there have been several fixes and improvements since 21.0.3.

What do you mean by "recordings are in the time-shifting folder but not in the recordings folder"? These are the same folder in the setup (Tools>Options>Television>TV Options>General>"Folder for recordings and time-shifting files".

Make sure you have Media Center or Media Server running at the time the recording is scheduled for Tools>Options>Startup>Windows Startup>"Run on windows startup: Media Server"

imcardle

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 01:46:16 pm »

I found that this issue went away for a while - possibly while I was experimenting with getting the EPG from the internet instead of using EPGCollector.  Could something in the EPG data be causing this issue?

Anyway, I am still getting this issue even after installing the latest 21.0.9 version.  The Media Server is definitely running - I've got it set to start up with Windows, as suggested by CountryBumkin.

Anyone have any other ideas about this?  It feels like MC is unable to start up the TV card drivers until you start "watching" the channel that it is trying to record.  Start/stop watching the channel a couple of times and then the recording will start up.  Not really very convenient, since we want our recordings to start up un-attended!
My hardware:  Shuttle xPC SZ68R5 case, Core i7-2700K, 8GB, TBS6284 PCIe quad tuner (DVB-T2), Intel HD3000 graphics, Samsung TV (HDMI), Aeotec Z-Stick

CountryBumkin

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 02:11:09 pm »

This is obviously not normal. Are you UK by chance? It seems UK was having issues recently with EPG data retrieval (which I think is now fixed). I'm not in UK so I can't test this myself but there are some posts in the TV section about this.

A couple of questions to help pin down this issue (for anyone above with a problem, not just for at "imcardle").

1) Are you now getting good EPG data? Do you show a TV schedule for the future date that the recording is set for?

2) When you schedule a recording for future, does it show as scheduled at "Television>To Be Recorded"?

3) Is "Media Server" or "Media Center" running at the time of the scheduled recording?

4) Are you trying to schedule a Recording on a computer running as a Client where the TV Tuner is installed on the Client?
      -- A computer running as a Client can only record using a TV Card installed in the Server.

5) Is the computer sleeping (perhaps not waking up) at the time of the scheduled recording?

6) What brand/model TV Card are you using?

Hopefully the answers to these questions will help someone figure out what is going on. Also it may help to provide a log (go to Help>Logging and make sure the "box is checked" to output a log file.

imcardle

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 02:37:39 pm »

Are you UK by chance?

Yes, I am.

1) Are you now getting good EPG data? Do you show a TV schedule for the future date that the recording is set for?

Yes, the EPG is looking good now and includes data for the shows that I want to record.

2) When you schedule a recording for future, does it show as scheduled at "Television>To Be Recorded"?

Yes, I can see it there - but the start time comes along and it remains in the status "scheduled to record", rather than "recording".

3) Is "Media Server" or "Media Center" running at the time of the scheduled recording?

Yes, I tend to use Media Center in Theatre Mode, but it is running.  The Media Server is also running, as indicated by the icon in the system tray, and by the status "Running" in the Windows Service Manager.

4) Are you trying to schedule a Recording on a computer running as a Client where the TV Tuner is installed on the Client?

I have MC installed on one PC only - the one with my TV tuner in it.  I'm not using any other machines as clients.

5) Is the computer sleeping (perhaps not waking up) at the time of the scheduled recording?

No, it is not sleeping.

6) What brand/model TV Card are you using?

It is a TBS6284 PCIe quad tuner (DVB-T2)

Also it may help to provide a log

I will try that.  How does the logging work?  Do I need to enable it, reproduce the problem, and then send you the log?
EDIT:  I've just seen the thread that answers my question about logging!  I'll sort that out and send it in due course.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 02:44:00 pm »

First you turn on logging (Help>Logging), then after the problem appears you go back to it and click on "Report a Problem". That creates the log. These logs can get real big so it is usually best to clear the log first (Help>Logging "Reset Log") then recreate the problem and then create a log.

BTW - I know your in UK imcardle since you identified your location in your signature - I was asking about turbofeet, mikeH935, and piblokto who reported the same problem.

Edited for clarity.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 02:49:42 pm »

Double check your system date.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 03:45:37 pm »

If you have done a re-setup on your channels and programs, there are chances that your old recording rules are no longer valid.  If they are not valid, you should try fixing them, or deleting and re-setting them up.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

imcardle

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 04:51:33 pm »

@JimH:  Yep, system date and time are correct.

@Yaobing:  To reproduce the issue for the log file, I added two new scheduled recordings - so that rules out the possibility of the recording config being invalid, I think.

@CountryBumkin:  I've captured the log file as you requested and attached it to this post.  The two new recordings that I set up were a one-off show and a series subscription.  The one-off show started recording at the scheduled time, but the subscription did not.  Hope the log file helps to shed some light on this issue.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 05:58:42 pm »

Your log file indicates that the recording that failed was on a DVB-T2 channel but your tuners were not setup as DVB-T2 capable.  Did you forget to check the check box "This device is capable of DVB-T2"?  

Go to TV Options and click Manage Devices.  On the resulting window, select each individual device and click Configure.  Check the check box on the pop up window and click OK.  Do this for each device.

imcardle

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2015, 11:08:32 am »

@Yaobing:  That is interesting.  I checked the settings as you suggested, and all four tuners already have a tick in the box for DVB-T2.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2015, 11:59:20 am »

Your log file indicates that the recording that failed was on a DVB-T2 channel but your tuners were not setup as DVB-T2 capable.  Did you forget to check the check box "This device is capable of DVB-T2"?  

Go to TV Options and click Manage Devices.  On the resulting window, select each individual device and click Configure.  Check the check box on the pop up window and click OK.  Do this for each device.

Does the DVB-T2 selection only come up if your in a specific country/area where this is used? Or only if the hardware supports it? I don't see that selection in my "Manage Devices" choices (USA). "Inquiring Minds want to know"

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 12:11:47 pm »

It is irrelevant for ATSC tuners.  So that option will not show up for ATSC.  It is for DVB-T/C/S systems.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 05:27:17 pm »

I found a bug related to this.  It is fixed for the next build.  When you run setup for the first time, the state of that checkbox is not saved properly.  When you click Configure on the "Manage Devices" window, the result would depend on whether the tuner is in use (i.e. having been initialized) or not. 

imcardle

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 01:37:41 pm »

It is fixed for the next build

That's good news - thank you.  When is the next build going to be available?

imcardle

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2015, 11:31:48 am »

It seems that the fix appeared in build 21.0.15 and, for me at least, it works well.  Thanks!

BTW:  I think this forum needs a way to mark questions as "solved".  That would certainly help when searching for solutions to common problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up