INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: System global volume change display OSD request  (Read 1656 times)

Spacebug

System global volume change display OSD request
« on: August 16, 2015, 06:38:55 pm »

Hi everyone!

I have a feature request that may be a bit wierd but it would help me a lot.

I would like to have a OSD message pop up when internal volume is changed in jriver even if the jriver window/program itself is not in the forground/is on display.

But perhaps I should clarify things a bit first.
My htpc is my only source in my rig but I don't use jriver as my mediacenter, it only handles processing of audio from other apps.
JRiver runs in the background/minimized and process audio through wasapi loopback input and handles crossovers and various other dsp tasks.
This way all audio played on the pc, be it internet browser, various mediaplayers or games are being routed through jriver and being processed before exiting the pc to amplifiers.
I do plan to try the WDM driver sometime, might simplify things a little but for now wasapi loopback works great.

I have until now set jriver for disabled volume control and used an AVR between my soundcard and amplifiers to act as volume crontrol, that is the only thing the AVR is used for.

Since I only use the AVR as volume control and it is by far more noisy than my soundcard i'm tempted to omit the AVR from the chain and go for soundcard straight to amplifiers with jriver internal volume control instead but with the same functionality of the AVR volume.

Tried it quickly and the volume control works great, I have to figure out a way to program a remote to change jriver internal volume control but that should be easy.
Another nice touch are the reference calibration function so I can have a better sence of volume scale (used to the AVR -dB ref volume scale).

The act of controling the volume seems easy, but how do you show the volume changes so one knows what volume is set, if jriver is running in the background?
That is the one dealbreaker now, on the AVR I have the display showing the volume.
I would like some sort of OSD message for the volume change with a possibility of having it overlay every application I might have open, when jriver still is minimized/running in the background.

I have found a workaround kind of way and that is to use system volume control instead of jriver internal volume.
Then use a volume OSD app of choice to report system volume changes (like on laptops for example).
Using system volume control instead does not make use of jriver 64-bit volume processing or its excellent reference calibration feature though.

Would it be possible to make volume change messages appear as an overlay over every windows app?
So one can see volume changes as an OSD message over say a game if I change jriver internal mastervolume while i'm gaming?

stewart_pk

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: System global volume change display OSD request
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 07:52:51 pm »

Yeah, this would be nice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up