INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track Sequence Query  (Read 2889 times)

Iain

• Recent member
Track Sequence Query
« on: August 21, 2015, 03:28:27 pm »

I'm currently running an evaluation version of MC20.0.131.

Everything is as expected, except for one title. It's a 3 Act classical work from DGG, consisting of gapless 24/176.4 FLAC files. The problem with it on MC20, is all the tracks are out of sequence. I don't have this problem with title on front USB port of Denon AVR-3313 or on Foobar2000. Using SanDisk USB 3.0 flash drive.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this problem with MC20 here?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Track Sequence Query
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 04:45:27 pm »

Posting a screen shot of these songs, listed in Media Center might help to figure out the problem.  I would like to see Album, Artist, Song Name, Track #, and Disc #.

I'm guessing the track numbers are missing or incorrect.  Or perhaps the disc #s are off.  Or perhaps it's something else, like the Album isn't being grouped by Album, but rather by Artist, so it appears as several different albums.

Hard to say without seeing it, or having more information about the tracks.  Give us more info and we'll try to help you.  :)

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 02:24:04 am »

Put them in the correct order, select all of them, right click and choose "Fill track numbers from list order".

Iain

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 10:33:40 am »

Posting a screen shot of these songs, listed in Media Center might help to figure out the problem.  I would like to see Album, Artist, Song Name, Track #, and Disc #.

I'm guessing the track numbers are missing or incorrect.  Or perhaps the disc #s are off.  Or perhaps it's something else, like the Album isn't being grouped by Album, but rather by Artist, so it appears as several different albums.

Hard to say without seeing it, or having more information about the tracks.  Give us more info and we'll try to help you.  :)

Brian.

Thanks. Attached is a screenshot of the Act 1 window. Acts 2 and 3 directories show the same out of track sequence problem.

Also, here's the DGG website for the title:
http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/gb/cat/4276252?sort=newest_rec&COMP_ID=WAGRI&ALBUM_TYPE=+&ART_ID=DOMPL&flow_per_page=50&per_page=50&presentation=flow

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 11:12:17 am »

Well, that's good news.  The tracks seem to be tagged properly with the right track numbers.  It looks to me like JRiver is sorting by Artist.  See how they are all in alphabetical order?  Click on the column header for Track # and it should sort by Track instead.  :)

I see you are using JRiver by it's drives and devices function.  Some people definitely do this and like it.  In my opinion, it's NOT the best way to use JRiver.  Importing your music into JRiver gives you lots more options and most views work correctly without having to click on headers or anything.

If you're like me, you might be reluctant to import your collection because you don't want your files moved or altered.  JRiver is VERY non-invasive.  It won't move any files unless you explicitly tell it to.  It won't change anything in your files unless you alter file properties inside of JRiver.  Like if you overwrite the album name with a new name or something.  In that case JRiver will write that change to the file.  Otherwise, your files should be safe.  You have almost zero risk by importing your collection into JRiver and a lot to gain through it's powerful features.

Brian.

Iain

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 12:16:12 pm »

Well, that's good news.  The tracks seem to be tagged properly with the right track numbers.  It looks to me like JRiver is sorting by Artist.  See how they are all in alphabetical order?  Click on the column header for Track # and it should sort by Track instead.  :)

Brian.

Beauty, that sorted it.  :-[

BTW I'm an extreme newbie to all this. Just have to become familiar with MC 20 or 21 concepts and work through them. What's most frightening though, is the possibility of altering something on disk by any action within MC.

One final query. When will MC 21 be available and what's the possibility of gratis upgrade when it finally becomes available?

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 01:01:08 pm »

BTW I'm an extreme newbie to all this. Just have to become familiar with MC 20 or 21 concepts and work through them. What's most frightening though, is the possibility of altering something on disk by any action within MC.

While you're learning, if you want to be super extra safe, you can turn off MC's option to write tags to files.  Any changes you make will only be made to MC's internal database and NOT written to the music files themselves.  Uncheck the option at:

Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes

You can still delete files, but MC will ask for confirmation *and* it will make you select a radio select to explicitly tell it to delete the file(s).  It won't happen just by accident.  You can also move files around on disk but ,again, you have to choose the file Rename, Move, and Copy tool to do so. So it's very obvious.  MC is very safe to your files generally speaking.  That's on purpose, as people that like MC really REALLY like their music!

One final query. When will MC 21 be available and what's the possibility of gratis upgrade when it finally becomes available?

MC21 is out right now.  At the top of the MC21 forum there's a posting with the latest version.  MC21 is very new right now; I think it's only on build #3 or so.  So it's going to have some small bugs here and there and might not be quite as stable as MC20.  Give it a few weeks and it will be much closer to where MC20 is right now in terms of stability and lack of bugs.

About the license:  You're covered if you buy right now, or going forward.  Every license for MC sold right now *is* an MC21 license.  These licenses also work for MC20.  So you're effectively getting a license for the newest product and the current stable product at the same time.  MC21 and MC20 are both covered by licenses being sold right now.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 01:26:36 pm »

There is probably no reason to turn off the writing tags to the file.  You can always change the tags again.

It is a good idea to do a few and see what you've done before doing many.
Pages: [1]   Go Up